Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2018, 05:41 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default How would you rank the QB's based on Spring Game?

Sure there will be some different opinions
Old 04-14-2018, 06:06 PM
Two Deep

Default Re: How would you rank the QB's based on Spring Game?

My opinion is 100% based on today. And what I saw on the tv

1-TL
2-HJ
3-CB
4-KB

I also understand this could change if they were allow d to run. But when you have weapons like we do. Running should be the last resort for our QB
Old 04-14-2018, 06:21 PM
Tiger Starter

Got to rewatch again but as of now

1-TL
2-CB
3-HJ
4-KB
Old 04-14-2018, 06:23 PM
Walk On

1) HJ
1B) TL
3) CB
4) KB

HJ connected on tougher passes but TL did what he needed to do. I think that a live QB would have changed things a bit. HJ was consistently accurate with the back shoulder, thatís a pass that is going to have to be in any starters arsenal against good defenses. With a live QB situation KB would have looked much better but this tellls me that he is still not comfortable with his accuracy on long passes and would prefer to tuck the ball and run. Same Kelly B = same results against formidable defenses. I also think that a live QB would have allowed TL to create a couple more plays but Iím also curious how he would have responded to a couple of shots that he would have taken. (I thought that TL and HJ were both victims of a quick whistle)
Old 04-14-2018, 06:34 PM
NFL Tiger

1. TL
2. HJ
3. CB
4.KB

Hard to evaluate KB on a spring game since his threat to run is taken away, but the passing hasnít improved. Release is just too slow and we canít get anything on screens. 90% of our games we could win by just throwing screens to our WRs since we are just more talented than our opponents... but KB takes that advantage away with the slow release. I genuinely hope it doesnít take a loss for Dabo to make the switch.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Travel Team

1a. TL
1b. HJ
3. CB
4. KB

And though I would also consider that KB did not have a chance to showcase his running game, neither did the other three. Remember, HJ was the #1 Spark rating (or something like that) at the elite 11 event, and ran track in HS. We've also heard from practice reports that TL is more mobile that expected (had a huge run in one scrimmage.) My guess is that KB is not as far ahead of the TL and HJ running, as they are ahead of him passing.

CB would have been the starter back when we were excited to get 3 star QBs like Tribble Rease.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:06 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: How would you rank the QB's based on Spring Game?

All of the underclassmen were better today than KB and it was not close.

TL
HJ
BH
KB

The passing game must improve in 2019 or it might be a repeat of 2018. I did not realize how bad it was until they showed KBís stats from last year. While I think KB would have benefited from the ability to run the option today his passing appears to still be a huge liability.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:44 PM
Tiger Starter

I agree that it was TL, HJ, CB, and KB.

I like KB, he seems like a good guy, a leader, and has obviously had success as our QB. But his inability to pass is inexcusable for a starting QB on an elite team such as ours. I get it, running QBs are a nice luxury to have, but in my opinion our offense should prioritize plays in the following way:

1. QB pass to a WR
2. QB hand off to a RB
3. QB runs himself

I hated last yearís offense, because it was a slower tempo and it was way too much QB running for my taste. I understand that we had to change our game plan some because of KBís strengths and limitations, but we have way too much talent at WR and RB to have our QB running as much as we did last year. We have shown that such a strategy is good enough to win the ACC and make the playoffs, both of which are outstanding accomplishments, but not nearly good enough to beat elite teams with tough defenses like Alabama.

Thanks for all you have done for us, Kelly, but you just arenít as talented a QB as Lawrence or Johnson.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:05 PM
Ring of Honor

Right now I go

1- HJ
2 - TL
3 - KB
4 - CB

TL fairly clearly has the best arm but I thought HJ had a better feel for the game. TL seemed to have trouble throwing the screen passes (throwing behind rather than leading the receiver). None of the QBs looked particularly good on the RB exchange on the RPO.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:04 PM
Ring of Honor

TL, HJ, CB, and KB was awful. TL and HJ were very clearly above the other two as well. There is no reason to see much else and I swear if anyone starts talking about practice....then go watch Allen Iverson's rant on practice.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:34 PM
NFL Tiger

IMO:
Johnson
Lawrence
Brice
Bryant

Johnson and Lawrence are clearly better and with more experience, it wouldnít even be close. KB is a great athlete and he needs to be in the field somehow but not as the starting QB
Old 04-14-2018, 10:36 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOrange67 View Post
IMO:
Johnson
Lawrence
Brice
Bryant

Johnson and Lawrence are clearly better and with more experience, it wouldnít even be close. KB is a great athlete and he needs to be in the field somehow but not as the starting QB
If KB has any shot at playing at the next level, it wonít be at QB. The best thing they could do for him is get him some work at WR....
Old 04-15-2018, 12:17 AM
NFL Tiger

from what I saw today, the competition is between HJ & TL. slight edge to TL

perhaps KB just had an off day, but if you'd told me KB2 was the fresman or RFr, and the other 2 were upperclassmen i'd believe it. Dabo says he's been making those throws all spring, and read other reports that he's been "showin out", so this should get interesting
Old 04-15-2018, 02:16 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: How would you rank the QB's based on Spring Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
from what I saw today, the competition is between HJ & TL. slight edge to TL

perhaps KB just had an off day, but if you'd told me KB2 was the fresman or RFr, and the other 2 were upperclassmen i'd believe it. Dabo says he's been making those throws all spring, and read other reports that he's been "showin out", so this should get interesting
Game performance is what matters. This was not practice. TL and HJ need more first team reps in practice.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:54 AM
Travel Team

1a. Hunter Johnson
1b. Trevor Lawerence
3. Chase Brice
4. Kelly Bryant

I think HJ has a better knowledge of the system and maybe better relationships with the WR's (showed the ability to throw back shoulder at least 2x, which is a hard throw to defend against) and also showed an apparent ability to run the read option down at the goal line. I think he's got as good if not better wheels than KB so for me the perponderence of evidence leads me to believe that HJ should be the starter.

TL just has sooooo much talent and potential if he can learn the playbook its gotta be between him and HJ to decide who's gonna get the keys to the offense. It's a Ferrari, let's drive it like one and not like a family sedan.

Chase Brice honestly looks like a better true QB than KB. He threw 3 INT's true, but unlike KB he was physically pushing the team down the field. I feel like CB would have given Bama a better test last year than KB did.

If KB is the starter again this year it's like putting a restrictor plate on your face car. Its gonna limit the ceiling of this offense. He's a check down king. He's gonna take the underneath routes unless it's a RayRayhitadoublemoveandiswideopenby10yards kind of throw and obviously that's not gonna beat the post season competition that Clemson is hoping to face this year.

Just my .02
Old 04-15-2018, 07:00 AM
Ring of Honor

I agree with everything other posters have stated. I think TL is the best QB on the roster and gives our offense a dynamic that just isn't possible under Kelly Bryant. His numbers yesterday were even more impressive if you add in the pass to Higgins and Galloway, that were negated by questionable "sacks".

Lawrence
Johnson
Brice
Bryant

Last edited by Cutigergrad04; 04-15-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:28 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
Game performance is what matters. This was not practice. TL and HJ need more first team reps in practice.
thx, I never said otherwise. My point was that this is 1 scrimmage,... just 1 day of a spring practice (a BIG day, but just 1) the coaches have been there for ALL of them. Was it just a bad day for KB2, and a good day for the others? I donno!
If memory serves, HJ & KB were neck and neck last year in spring and KB took it in fall camp...theres alotta time before we play and any of the above can make thier move.

as I said in my post, from what i saw TL then HJ, but it aint up to me, AND its likely gonna be based on the spring game.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:52 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wieber0311 View Post
1a. Hunter Johnson
1b. Trevor Lawerence
3. Chase Brice
4. Kelly Bryant

I think HJ has a better knowledge of the system and maybe better relationships with the WR's (showed the ability to throw back shoulder at least 2x, which is a hard throw to defend against) and also showed an apparent ability to run the read option down at the goal line. I think he's got as good if not better wheels than KB so for me the perponderence of evidence leads me to believe that HJ should be the starter.

TL just has sooooo much talent and potential if he can learn the playbook its gotta be between him and HJ to decide who's gonna get the keys to the offense. It's a Ferrari, let's drive it like one and not like a family sedan.

Chase Brice honestly looks like a better true QB than KB. He threw 3 INT's true, but unlike KB he was physically pushing the team down the field. I feel like CB would have given Bama a better test last year than KB did.

If KB is the starter again this year it's like putting a restrictor plate on your face car. Its gonna limit the ceiling of this offense. He's a check down king. He's gonna take the underneath routes unless it's a RayRayhitadoublemoveandiswideopenby10yards kind of throw and obviously that's not gonna beat the post season competition that Clemson is hoping to face this year.

Just my .02

^ This. Nothing else really needs to be said. Our eyes werenít lying to us yesterday. However I will add between now and the Furman game, the order for HJ, TL, and CB could change if each puts in the work. At this point, KBís passing ability is what it is, donít anticipate much improvement.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:19 PM
NFL Tiger

1a) Lawrence
1b) Johnson
2) Brice
3) Bryant

To me itís solely a two horse race. Brice is a good prospect and I think he could have a bright future here. But Johnson and Lawrence moved the offense all day, and have very good running abilities. Certainly enough mobility to make this offense dangerous. Bryant still canít throw nearly as well as them. He is only good on easy passes, but heís just not a skilled passer. The sooner we ca start a true QB the better, and itís either HJ or TL.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:07 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Looks like most agree that it should really be a battle between Hunter Johnson and Trevor Lawrence.