Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default Man, Kelly looks worse on the replay

Watching the replay finally and Kelly looks worse on TV than he did with me shooting down on the field. Those long passes are not even close.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:57 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Man, Kelly looks worse on the replay

I also didnít like his reaction while walking to bench.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:17 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonurlacher View Post
I also didnít like his reaction while walking to bench.
That's the first time I remember seeing Kelly like that, but I took notice of it too
Old 04-16-2018, 01:29 PM
Ring of Honor

I was at the game and it didn't look great. Watching it on TV....it was way worse. The performance was bad enough, but the demeanor certainly didn't help.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:42 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsonfan1364 View Post
I was at the game and it didn't look great. Watching it on TV....it was way worse. The performance was bad enough, but the demeanor certainly didn't help.

Itís like the pressure of losing his job affected him way more than any defense did all last year (except the Bama game). But thatís when you expect the incumbent senior to really step upÖ and he didnít. Itís kinda sad, really. I wish he had shown a bunch of improvement, but he wasnít any better, maybe worseÖ especially when compared to TL and HJ.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:16 PM
NFL Tiger

I felt like Cain and some of the WRs got annoyed with KB last year... theyíd never say it, but you could see the body language Cain would show after an errant pass by KB.

Weíve got so much WR talent this year that we need to play HJ or TL. Those guys can get our WRs the ball.

Iíve said it before but our WRs are so good, we could throw screens on every play and beat half the teams in the ACC just because of the talent advantage at WR. KB negates that advantage because of the slow release and inaccurate throws. I also think keeping KB as the starter could be really bad for team chemistry with the WRs this year. It will be interesting to see. We can win some games with KB, but just because we can get by doesnít mean he should be the starter.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:43 PM
Tiger Starter

It wasnít good, but I donít think KB has regressed. Clearly he felt constrained by the touch rules. Recall last spring the QBís were live so KB could more of what comes natural to him. Basically heís going to be at the same level as last year. He will never develop the arm talent needed to run this offense fully balanced. He carried us with his leadership and legs last year. Hopefully the staff figures out how to put those two talents to work somewhere else on the field.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:34 PM
Ring of Honor

Watching it in the stadium, KB never looked comfortable, he definitely seemed to be pressing. After watching the replay, I felt bad for KB, but there was no excuse for the sulking on the sidelines (you just don't see that from a leader). I thought it was especially ironic that Milan was consoling him, I mean, if Milan could catch, a lot of KB's problems wouldn't be there... Yeah, that was a cheap shot, but the dude has no hands.

Yeah, I suppose Cain could have been pissed with KB, but not nearly as much as I was/am with Cain's inability to catch a ball that hits him in the hands, or his unique ability to "alligator arm" the attempt. Cain lost the game, or rather he didn't do what needed to be done at the WR position to win, or stay competitive in the last game of the year!

I really hate to see a good young man get eviscerated for trying his best, but that's the nature of these boards... My apologies to Cain and Milan.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:47 PM
Ring of Honor

You just have to hit those long throws under any circumstance. Itíd be one thing if it was right coverage on it but they was wide open.

Credit to him on the throw over the middle that ended up be taken back by a sack, that was a nice throw.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:33 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Man, Kelly looks worse on the replay

Every team that prepares for Clemson if KB is the starter is going to absolutely stop the run. They will make him throw. The spring game was his audition and he failed miserably. I'm sorry, because I know all of us like him personally. Let's be realistic. He has been in the system for over three years and two guys with little to no experience made him look bad. THAT is simply unacceptable.

I don't want to hear about it being only one performance. It was the performance that counted the most. After three years in the system, he should play almost flawlessly.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:26 AM

Looks like we have a consensus here from most
Old 04-17-2018, 08:18 AM
Travel Team

The eye opening moment for me was even when Kelly was successful if appeared to be just average. On his longest completion of the day (12 yards), the wide receiver didn't have a defender within 10-15 yards when the ball was thrown. Yet, the wide receiver was tackled immediately after receiving the ball. With the talent and speed we have at the wr position, that is a play that should have been turned up field for possibly an even bigger gain.

Kelly is an amazing athlete. He just isn't the best qb on the team right now.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Scholarship Player

If you stop KB from running and force him to pass much like Alabama did he becomes mediocre at best. All this hype that he had improved in the passing attack was laid to rest Saturday, when he missed two wide open throws. He was again unable to run, and forced to throw the ball and we all know the outcome of that.

There wasn't many teams that could physically force us into a passing attack last year, so you didn't see KB struggle. When we faced Alabama and they had the ability to rush 3-4 guys and drop the rest KB couldn't read coverage's, and he certainly couldn't make the pass's needed to make the defense play honest.

We need a QB who ever it maybe that can make defense's come in and play honest. We will handle the ACC again this year, I don't think anyone will be able to prevent the run from getting going for 4 quarters. But if this staff is serious about winning another championship, they would be smart to begin the process now of turning the keys over to a true QB. KB is a glorified running back with the ability to make throws that are either behind the line of scrimmage or within 10 yards.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:15 PM
NFL Tiger

The bottom line is that KB was the best option at QB for the 2017 season. That statement is not true for the 2018 season. TL and HJ are much better options because of their ability to hit receivers, in stride, down the field. Given more time with the 1s, I think that TL can build a phenomenal chemistry with Higgins, Rodgers, etc and with Ettienne and Feaster in the backfield with him, that multi-faceted attack will keep DCs awake weeks before having to play us. That canít be said if KB starts. Theyíll worry about the run and take some hits if KB does actually locate receivers down field. I love the kid, but we wonít win it all this year if heís the starter.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:39 PM

Well said Walhalla