Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default From the Sidelines - Orange & White Game

Each week I share some thoughts after watching the Tigers From the Sidelines. In this edition my thoughts after watching the Orange & White game From the Sidelines of Death Valley Saturday.

- First some thoughts on the crowd. It was a good crowd, but not the great crowd that Dabo and company were hoping for this year. It's great seeing the bottom of the stadium full. I had hoped to see more fans in the upper deck. The crowd at the spring game is a recruiting tool for the staff. They would love to be able to have 70 to 80K.

- Next I'll discuss the elephant in the room. Kelly Bryant did not play well as everyone saw Saturday. He melted under the pressure of the quarterback competition. If you can't handle the pressure of the spring game QB competition, how are you going to handle the pressure of the College Football Playoff. KB did not handle that pressure well in the Sugar Bowl and Saturday's performance showed the he has not improved like we have been told during the spring. Sure it's only one of 15 "spring practices" but it's the one that matters the most. Kelly was outplayed by three QB's on Saturday, not just one.

- Trevor Lawrence and Hunter Johnson both handled the pressure well. Trevor gave the fans what they wanted to see. The difference in Lawrence and Johnson's ability to throw the ball down the field, compared to Bryant, was easy for anyone to see. There should be a QB battle at Clemson but it should be a battle between Lawrence and Johnson. The offense the Tigers can run with Trevor or Hunter at the helm is much different. Clemson has too many weapons at WR not to have a QB that can hit the playmakers down field.

- Justin Foster showed Saturday that he is ready to make an impact. That is great for the future of the DL.

- Another player that looked good out there was Jordan Williams. The move to DT for him has been a good one. He showed that he is ready to contribute this year and will be a significant factor when Wilkins and Lawrence leave.

- Tee Higgins is going to be the best WR to ever play at Clemson. I said that before last season and I still believe it. Of course that will be with a QB that can use his talents.

- Derion Kendrick showed a couple of flashes Saturday but we will see much more from him this year. He is going to be a stud.

- I'm not worried at all about corner. Mullen, Terrell and Fields will get it done this year. They won't have a tough task with Clemson's DL living in the backfield of the opponents. And expect the two freshmen coming in this summer to add to the depth at CB.

- I liked getting Huegel a few kicks in front of the crowd. I think I might have let him stop after the one that hit the upright.

- We didn't see a lot from the RB's Saturday but that is because the split OL had against the best DL in the nation. Etienne had a couple of nice runs.

- Xavier Thomas and KJ Henry showed what the future will look like at DE. Both will be great ones and they may be the best duo to ever play together before they are done.

- James Skalski had a good game at LB. I look for him to see more PT this fall. He is ready to push for a starting role.

- Nobody had more fun Saturday than Christian Wilkins. He is really going to enjoy this season and opponents' offenses will not.

- A lot of the fans didn't come back after the half. I can't blame them with the running clock in the second half.

- How about Braden Galloway? He showed he has the tools to be a weapon down field. Braden is very raw but he will be another great TE at Clemson.

- Jackson Carman is going to need some time to get his body in shape and will need to gain some experience.

Last edited by Will Vandervort; 04-16-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:41 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: From the Sidelines - Orange & White Game

Big Tee Higgins statement.

Agree about Skalski.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:55 PM
Tiger Starter

Agree with you on Tee.

Carman is BIG. He will need some conditioning to play in our offense though, especially with a return to the up-tempo style
Old 04-16-2018, 02:56 PM
Tiger Starter

"Carman is going to need some time to get his body in shape and will need to gain some experience."

This is something that comes up from time to time. Yes, I know HS programs do not have the training tools that colleges have but how are guys not in shape? Even players returning players after summer breaks. Especially the highly rated guys. I would imagine CU and other programs "suggest" ways to get in and stay in shape before and when they arrive on campus. Are some of these guys just naturally gifted and have not needed to be in much shape?

As specialized and detail-oriented major NCAA football has become, I would think that all players would be on a strict fitness program including diet, exercise, etc. There should be no excuse. JMO
Old 04-16-2018, 05:43 PM
Tiger Starter

Lawrence and Hunter Johnson both handled the pressure well.
- Lawrence is chasing Johnson. Those back shoulder passes by Johnson were a thing of beauty; 4 or 5 of them. We'll see what happens when full contact happens, as Wilkins coming at you full speed a couple of times can change a persons' religion if you know what I mean.

Thomas and KJ Henry showed what the future will look like at DE. Both will be great ones and they may be the best duo to ever play together before they are done.
- When they were substituted in, there seemed to be zero let up. I noticed on one series Thomas was one on one and beat his man badly, then he faced two offensive players and still was making it to the pocket. The O-line didn't have an easy time at all.

Tee Higgins is going to be the best WR to ever play at Clemson. I said that before last season and I still believe it.
- I hope you are correct. But until we get to see him multiple pressure situations make the "that catch" moment happen, he still has a lot to prove to me before I place at that level of rarified air.
--Daughters, they can climb trees, fish, and shoot guns just as good as any boy, sometimes better. Plus they can have the boy clean the fish, buy the bullets when they go out, and then the Father gets to eat. Daughters are great. --
Old 04-16-2018, 06:26 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: From the Sidelines - Orange & White Game

I really hope some serious conversations about the QB is happening behind the scenes. There will only be a QB controversy if the least capable QB is the starter.

I have a lot of respect for KB, but we cannot win a national championship with him. We beat Alabama in 2016 because we could throw. KB does not give us that threat and there is no way a reasonable person could conclude otherwise.

It might seem a bit weird, but I like a suggestion in another thread. Have the coaches tell KB he won’t start. Ask him if he wants to redshirt 2018 so he can move to another position.