Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2017, 09:14 AM
TCI Staff

Default Hearing a lot of J.T. Barrett for Heisman talk

We are hearing several guys on ESPNU Radio talking Barrett as a Heisman candidate.

We are stunned to hear this. I think Clemson would love to play J.T. Barrett and Ohio State again in the playoff.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:19 AM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: Hearing a lot of J.T. Barrett for Heisman talk

I don't think the pool of candidates is much to look at and maybe they are just attempting to expand the list a bit??? He certainly doesn't perform at a Heisman level.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:36 AM
Ring of Honor

So far people who put their money where there mouth is don't agree. Barrett is not anywhere close to Barkley or Mayfield in odds or betting action.

But since it's a media popularity vote to a certain degree, and because the media also tend to put OSU close to Bama on the historical greatness scale, maybe he has a growing chance. It would not be good for the image of the Heisman if he won, in my opinion.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:51 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerNE View Post
So far people who put their money where there mouth is don't agree. Barrett is not anywhere close to Barkley or Mayfield in odds or betting action.

But since it's a media popularity vote to a certain degree, and because the media also tend to put OSU close to Bama on the historical greatness scale, maybe he has a growing chance. It would not be good for the image of the Heisman if he won, in my opinion.
At this point, I'd throw Mayfield out. With his team trying to march down and beat Iowa State, at home, in the last 90 seconds, he wasn't able to make a plan to win the game, or even put them in a winning position. It was Iowa FREAKING State! He needs to be done. I'd go with Barkely and Bryce Love of Stanford. I'm not sure who's 3rd... just not seeing anyone separate themselves.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walhalla2Atlanta View Post
At this point, I'd throw Mayfield out. With his team trying to march down and beat Iowa State, at home, in the last 90 seconds, he wasn't able to make a plan to win the game, or even put them in a winning position. It was Iowa FREAKING State! He needs to be done. I'd go with Barkely and Bryce Love of Stanford. I'm not sure who's 3rd... just not seeing anyone separate themselves.
Remember there is a degree of fandom and popularity involved in the media voting. Most of what I read suggests the media in general is still very high on Mayfield and using his @OSU performance as the pinnacle so far this season. Same for what is said on Gameday. I am not a consumer of any other TV/radio sports media, so I can't say for sure. But right now it is probably a safe bet that Mayfield will get a lot of media votes. Which is basically 95% of what matters.

Of course, there are still games to go.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:35 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerNE View Post
Remember there is a degree of fandom and popularity involved in the media voting. Most of what I read suggests the media in general is still very high on Mayfield and using his @OSU performance as the pinnacle so far this season. Same for what is said on Gameday. I am not a consumer of any other TV/radio sports media, so I can't say for sure. But right now it is probably a safe bet that Mayfield will get a lot of media votes. Which is basically 95% of what matters.

Of course, there are still games to go.
its still a stats based award. This is why LJ won it last year despite ending the season with 3 straight losses?
Old 10-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson2016 View Post
its still a stats based award. This is why LJ won it last year despite ending the season with 3 straight losses?
Is that sarcasm?