Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2017, 07:08 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default From the Sidelines - Wake Forest

Each week I share some thoughts after watching the Tigers From the Sidelines. In this edition I share my thoughts after watching Clemson defeat Wake Forest From the Sidelines of Death Valley.

- First a comment on The Hill. They need to get that resolved before Georgia Tech. It looks terrible for the most exciting 25 seconds of college football for the team to run down The Hill with one side almost empty. It's not rocket science. Clemson has filled The Hill for many years. There are plenty of excuses flowing from both sides. Just get it done. And why your at it put the number back up to 3,700. No need to cut the numbers that worked fine for many years.

- One things I watched before the game was Kyle Parker throwing the football on the field before warm-ups. He can still spin it for sure. Makes you wonder what could have been if he hadn't gotten his ribs injured against Auburn. It's great having him back on campus.

- Another highlight was the presentation to coach Leggett before the game. Kyle came over and watched the presentation and gave coach Leggett a huge hug after it was over. The crowd was great and this made coach Leggett feel good. Coach Leggett loves Clemson and has struggled the past few years as he has wanted to be more involved at Clemson. Saturday was a nice first step in recognizing 7. Now they need to do something at The Doug where the put 7.

- I was very impressed with how Hunter Johnson played. He looked so much more comfortable behind center. The offense looked like the old Clemson offense on that touchdown drive. The most important thing is he took advantage of his opportunity. If he gets another I expect we see more improvement. Johnson has phenominal talent. He just needs to gain some experience.

- Cooper did not look great on the flip side. Based on that game Johnson should move up to No. 2, but of course we don't get to see what they do in practice every day.

- The defensive performance for the first three quarters was outstanding. As usual the staff put the two and three deep guys in there early and often. This will pay dividends down the road. I was disappointed to see the D give up the two touchdowns in the fourth quarter.

- We had a chance to see Kaila before the game. She was in town on her way to a wedding. She is doing great things at ESPN now, but we sure miss her at TCI.

- Mark Fields is playing at a different level now. He has always had the skills, but just lacked the consistency. We are now seeing his play with that consistency. The talent and depth at corner right now is the best Swinney has had by far.

- The Tigers need for Spence to start making some field goals to gain some confidence. Hopefully a game won't come down to a last second field goal, but if one does right now most would be very nervous. Spence has done a good job on his kickoffs the last two games.

- Another bright spot was the play of Tee Higgins. It wasn't his breakout game, but he showed what we have been waiting to see. That game will do wonders for his confidence and I expect we see him play a bigger role as the season progresses.

- It was another great afternoon in Death Valley. I can't believe there are only three more home games left this season.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:30 AM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: From the Sidelines - Wake Forest

Ditto on Mark Fields. He has elevated his game for sure.

With all of the personnel we play throughout the course of a game I'd like to see Johnson take more snaps. No one on this board or in any staff meeting will argue that we look good passing the ball. Why not give him a series or two and see what happens? Hopefully we get to see him take a few snaps Friday.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:27 AM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: From the Sidelines - Wake Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsonfan1364 View Post
Ditto on Mark Fields. He has elevated his game for sure.

With all of the personnel we play throughout the course of a game I'd like to see Johnson take more snaps. No one on this board or in any staff meeting will argue that we look good passing the ball. Why not give him a series or two and see what happens? Hopefully we get to see him take a few snaps Friday.
Ditto... especially about HJ. I hope we're up by 21+ in the first half and HJ gets the start after halftime. I still believe KB2 is the man this year, but HJ could take it next year, unless Lawrence comes in and steals it from him (which could very well happen).