Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default Can Clemson's D stop Bama's running game

At times the last two years Clemson has struggled against Bama's running game. Can this year's D shut them down? If they do the Tigers are likely back in the title game.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 AM
Travel Team

Default Re: Can Clemson's D stop Bama's running game

I'm mostly worried about Scarborough. Isn't he the one that got hurt last year mid-game? Other teams have contained him. Hopefully we can too if we can get Lamar back.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:30 AM
NFL Tiger

I went back to check their numbers from last year and their 6.3 YPC average is skewed by long runs of 37, 30, 25, 13 & 13. Those long runs accounted for over half their rushing yards. Eliminate those and Bama only gained 103 yards on the ground in their other 30 attempts at a clip of 3.4 YPC.

I think we will do a lot better this year. I believe this is the best front 4 we've had to go up against them and I don't feel like we have a propensity to give up the long runs this year like we have in the past. We are allowing .6 YPC fewer this year than last year, if that says anything.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:32 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdough View Post
I'm mostly worried about Scarborough. Isn't he the one that got hurt last year mid-game? Other teams have contained him. Hopefully we can too if we can get Lamar back.
He got hurt in the 4th quarter and had 93 yards before he went out. But, we lost Ferrell in the 3rd quarter, as well. I always felt like that those losses basically canceled each other out.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:26 AM
Tiger Starter

Everyone struggles to contain Bama's running game. Even at Auburn they rushed for 200+ yards at a clip of 5.6 yds per rush. It will be a monumental task to shut down the rushing game. The key is to not give up long rushing TDs. Make them earn their TDs inside the 10 and not from 40 yds out. Last year we gave up long TDs from Scarborough and Hurts. Hopefully we can contain that better this year. Having DLaw back 100% will make a big difference in our defense, but I am worried a bit about our depth on the line. It's not as strong as it was last year.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:23 PM
Tiger Starter

Yes, I remember them rolling with Scarborough and thought we'd have lost at the time until he got hurt. IMO, no we can't stop it but hopefully can slow it down enough. I know Bama didn't play a tough schedule but they only got beat by Auburn and Auburn was playing some good ball when they beat them. Like others have mentioned above, we don't appear to be quite as deep as last yr as we had Watkins and Pagano then. Others have stepped up and have gained valuable experience which should help though. Hopefully we will be able to sub enough to keep our guys fresh which I think will be key to slowing it down enough.

And if we can run the ball more, it'll keep our D off the field more which will obviously help.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:42 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walhalla2Atlanta View Post
I went back to check their numbers from last year and their 6.3 YPC average is skewed by long runs of 37, 30, 25, 13 & 13. Those long runs accounted for over half their rushing yards. Eliminate those and Bama only gained 103 yards on the ground in their other 30 attempts at a clip of 3.4 YPC.

I think we will do a lot better this year. I believe this is the best front 4 we've had to go up against them and I don't feel like we have a propensity to give up the long runs this year like we have in the past. We are allowing .6 YPC fewer this year than last year, if that says anything.
I think that is Coach V style. Very aggressive. I remember us shutting down Cook from FSU for a half before some long runs.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:47 PM
NFL Tiger

I think so. This will be the best DL we have played against Alabama. I also think it really hurts Bama that OJ Howard is no longer there. He was a huge thorn in our side and very dangerous in a play action pass game.

Harris, I believe Damien (?), I their leading rusher. Seems like a good back but I donít think they are as explosive as they have been the past two years.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:52 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonurlacher View Post
I think that is Coach V style. Very aggressive. I remember us shutting down Cook from FSU for a half before some long runs.
As much as I hate to say this because I love the guy, Boulware was responsible for some of those long runs. I think Lamar & Joseph do a better job with gap control and not letting guys get past them. Boulware was very aggressive, which was good at times, but sometimes he would over-pursue and guys would slip past him. Also, O'Daniel is much faster and is playing lights out. If anyone does break contain, they're not getting 50 yards. He'll chase them down. We might see a couple 12-15 yard runs, but I'll be surprised to see one of their RBs take it 40+ to the house.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:01 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walhalla2Atlanta View Post
As much as I hate to say this because I love the guy, Boulware was responsible for some of those long runs. I think Lamar & Joseph do a better job with gap control and not letting guys get past them. Boulware was very aggressive, which was good at times, but sometimes he would over-pursue and guys would slip past him. Also, O'Daniel is much faster and is playing lights out. If anyone does break contain, they're not getting 50 yards. He'll chase them down. We might see a couple 12-15 yard runs, but I'll be surprised to see one of their RBs take it 40+ to the house.
I agree about Boulware. I was also wondering if Muse and Simmons play more/ together for added run support?
Old 12-06-2017, 05:11 PM
Tiger Starter

Who exactly has Alabama played that has a pulse of a defensive line? They have not played a defense worthy of being compared to Clemson's defense outside of Auburn and I'm just including LSU because it's just sad to compare them to just one.

Our LBs are quicker than last year, our DE are freaks, and our secondary is better than I thought before the season started. If a team can contain Hurts, Alabama RBs have problems, luckily, we've played, contained, and beat better running QBs this season.

Auburn ATT AVG YRD LONG
J. Hurts, QB 18 4.6 82 17
D. Harris, RB 6 8.5 51 31
B. Scarbrough, 6 7.7 46 21
J. Jacobs, RB 6 4.2 25
R. Foster, WR 1 12.0 12

LSU ATT AVG YRD LONG
J. Hurts, QB 14 3.1 44 1 19
B. Scarbrough, 11 3.5 39 1 11
D. Harris, RB 9 3.7 33 0 8
J. Jacobs, RB 1 3.0 3 0 3
--Daughters, they can climb trees, fish, and shoot guns just as good as any boy, sometimes better. Plus they can have the boy clean the fish, buy the bullets when they go out, and then the Father gets to eat. Daughters are great. --
Old 12-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Tiger Starter

Our DL needs to wear tear away jerseys as Bama is the best in the business at holding
Old 12-06-2017, 07:33 PM
Ring of Honor

I like the match-up personally. Their oline has lost some juice over the last couple years and from a talent standpoint we will be better at the point of attack.

We're more athletic and gap control is better this year. We are going to win at the line of scrimmage. I'm more concerned with our offense. Think back to last year...we missed an easy TD to Cain, Gallman fumble deep in our territory, etc. If we somehow limit critical errors on offense we will win by two scores. The defense will bring it...have no doubt about that.