Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2017, 08:44 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default From the Sidelines - ACC Championship

Each week I share some thoughts after watching Clemson From the Sidelines. In this delayed edition my thoughts after watching the Tigers win another ACC Championship From the Sidelines of Bank of America Stadium.

- I have to start with another salute to the Clemson fans. As we expected Clemson dominated the crowd once again. I would estimate the crowd was around 75 percent Tigers. When Clemson did the arm and arm walk you could tell the Tigers owned the crowd.

- I was hoping that Miami would poke the bear again and they did. They went over and talked trash to Clemson as they entered the field. We remember what happened last time they talked trash to the Tigers. Once that happened I felt very good that Clemson would dominate the game and they did.

- Kelly Bryant was outstanding. It was by far his best passing game of the season and he was cool and calm as the Tigers took control early and never looked back.

- They always say defense wins championship and Clemson may have one that can do the job. The Tigers D dominated the game. Wilkins had one of his best games and the defense never gave the Canes any confidence.

- Miami's coaching staff seemed shocked by the Clemson dominations. The expressions from their staff during the whipping was fun to watch.

- How about Spence nailing the long field goal. I have to admit I wasn't sure why they were going for that but he got it just over and just inside. That should help his confidence as the Tigers head to the playoff.

- The postgame celebration was interesting. It was obvious that Clemson was happy to win another ACC Championship but the celebration was not what it was the last two years. The team looked like they were already focused for what was ahead in the playoff. That was good to see.

- I wonder how many turnover chains the vendors had after the game. It seemed like at least half of the Miami fans there were wearing a turnover chain. I bet some vendors had plenty left over after the game and no buyers.

- Another special night for Ryan Carter. With a forced fumble and an interception he once agains played a big role in Clemson's win. It is great to see his career ending the way it did.

- Once again we saw a team try a later field goal just to get on the scoreboard. And that was against Clemson's third team defense. The Tigers got to play a lot of guys again Saturday and that exprience will help them continue to build valuable depth on both sides of the football.

- Ray Ray has to be more careful with the football. Those turnovers could be a huge factor if they happen in the playoff. He made some big plays as well, but he has to hold onto the football.

- This team is playing better going into the playoffs than the past two teams that went onto the national championship game. They are playing their best football when it matters the most. I give a lot of credit for this to Dabo and the staff. They know what it takes to win it all and that is the focus of Clemson teams now, not just winning the conference. We will see if the great play continues against Alabama. If it does the Tigers have a great chance to win it all again this year.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:41 AM
Walk On

Default Re: From the Sidelines - ACC Championship

Wondering why ABC decided not to air retired Sgt. Frank Thomas singing
God Bless America? Those in attendance highly praised the performance & it was on the published list of "scheduled events" so ABC knew when the Sgt. would sing. Cannot even find a clip on youtube & the more I ask around the more I get the feeling it was not aired on purpose.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymac View Post
Wondering why ABC decided not to air retired Sgt. Frank Thomas singing
God Bless America? Those in attendance highly praised the performance & it was on the published list of "scheduled events" so ABC knew when the Sgt. would sing. Cannot even find a clip on youtube & the more I ask around the more I get the feeling it was not aired on purpose.
They showed Wilkins singing part of it.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Travel Team

Anyone know what was up with the first down chains? There weren't chains on the Miami sideline, and neither side had the orange first down strip that sit on the turf.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:19 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geech72 View Post
Anyone know what was up with the first down chains? There weren't chains on the Miami sideline, and neither side had the orange first down strip that sit on the turf.
they don't need them anymore - they have the yellow line now
Old 12-07-2017, 01:29 PM
Scholarship Player

The guy singing was awesome.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:52 PM
Travel Team

It may be just me, but I'm still convinced that the offensive play calling is still evolving.

Does it seem like we're seeing more and more of the playbook as the season goes on?

I noticed more speed option and more effective screens in the ACCCG.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:13 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: From the Sidelines - ACC Championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpegues View Post
It may be just me, but I'm still convinced that the offensive play calling is still evolving.

Does it seem like we're seeing more and more of the playbook as the season goes on?

I noticed more speed option and more effective screens in the ACCCG.
+1