Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2018, 07:40 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default How would you handle QB reps this spring?

It is going to be difficult to split the reps.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:47 AM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: How would you handle QB reps this spring?

Ugh...lol.

I'm sure the staff will have a plan. KB will no doubt enter as the starter. I'm guessing Hunter will #2 and they'll just have to work the rest in. There is no scenario where 6 guys get quality reps though. The staff will focus on 3 or 4 and getting them ready.

There is some chatter about 1 transferring so the numbers may change by the time spring ball rolls around. Israel may have to take a medical. I think there will be some changes before this gets sorted out is my final answer.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:52 AM
NFL Tiger

I'd give Kelly B about 30-40% of the reps, then go from there. Maybe HJ deserves more than TL at this point, but I think you gotta give TL some opportunities to compete. I'd also give those 2 at least a few reps with the 1s to see what they can do with our best receivers. As for Coop and Israel, I'm just not sure they would get that many... maybe some for Coop. One thing is, I'm glad it's not up to me.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:40 AM
Travel Team

I would almost start from scratch. Yes, KB earned the right to be the starter. However, there are so many that are all pretty close together, just start fresh and see who is ready.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:43 AM
Tiger Starter

And Chase is no slouch either!

Dabo, Streeter, Scott & Elliott get paid for this so let them figure it out.

One thing is for sure. We can see who is the best for our O and not which O is best for our QB.

Which one of the QBs can we open up the playbook the most? Obviously knowing the playbook helps but whoever it is, has to be able to make the plays that are there.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:52 AM
Tiger Starter

And the real forgotten QB. Tucker Israel- dude passed for over 15,000 yds in HS! Yeah hes still at Clemson but I know he just does not have the physical traits to be big time QB but he has a great arm.

So start'em all even and pick whoever emerges with the most potential. maybe we end up with 2 QB rotation but we have to come out of the Spring with someone who can spin it.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Ring of Honor

I'd limit KB in the Spring to evaluate HJ, Coop and TL. Israel isn't back from his sickness yet, I don't believe so he can wait until the fall. CB can sit until Fall as well. 30% each for the 3 and 10% for KB to keep him active.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Ring of Honor

Iíd actually give KB relatively few reps not b/c I donít think he can get the job done but because you know he can. Much of the spring is learning the playbook. KB already knows it. In the same way that they didnít have DW4 doing a lot (and risking injury) I donít think they have KB doing much either. So say 10%.

The other guy that has been around the longest is Tucker Israel. I give him few reps. Again the coaches know what he can do and honestly if we go far enough down the depth chart that we are relying on him to win we have been decimated. Say 5%.

That leaves ZC, HJ, CB, and TL. If Iím the coaches I need to get a real feel for where these guy sit on the depth chart and generally split the reps 20% each. The remain 5% is the wildcard. I give that to the hot hand or the one needing extra reps.

All that said, it is going to be paramount for these guys to grab some of the other guys on the team and work on thier own. Thier ability to learn the playbook is going to play a big role in where people end up on the depth chart going into the season.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:59 AM
NFL Tiger

I agree with others above. Everyone knows what KBís strengths and weaknesses are. I think Iíd pretty much divide it up as Hunter, Cooper, Lawrence and Brice getting the most reps and Iíd intermingle them all in with the first group. Itís going to be important to really challenge these other guys because despite Bryantís shortcomings as a passer, heís a pretty cool customer, and these guys will have to be as well.

Iím not ready to sleep on Brice making a big push this spring. Something tells me heís a smart kid who has been patiently learning and waiting, and he was a 4* recruit in his own right. I think weíve learned with Gallman and Carter, donít underestimate the Grayson HS kids.