Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2017, 09:26 AM
TCI Staff

Default Swinney on the rub play to set up Renfrow's winner

Swinney said if you really look at it, it is defensive pass interference. He said the DB talked Artavis Scott before he could rub, but the play still worked.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:49 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Swinney on the rub play to set up Renfrow's winner

I thought the same thing. Artavis just turns and the guy is all up on him and ended up pushing him to the ground. But, not before #3 knocked him and his teammate off course leaving Renfrow wide open. It was genius and completely legal.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Ring of Honor

The Bama fans including a lot of ESPN are all over the place on it. Even Klatt at Fox Sports supposedly says that without a doubt both rub plays we ran are "illegal". Some say the first one was worse than the second one as far as being a missed penalty, too. Any excuse to invalidate the loss in their minds, I guess.

I only saw a few clips shared with me so I am not saying I've read and seen a lot. And it is good to hear Finebaum is on the "nothing illegal" and "no penalty" side. So I'm told he is also being very critical of Bama and Saban, saying things like dumping Kiffin was a mistake because it was a distraction and that two years in a row Saban hasn't been able to bring the defense up to the level needed to slow us down. And this time it caught up with him letting us win. And yada yada. Or so I'm told......
Old 01-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Tiger Starter

If you watch the last play from the camera angle behind the offense its pretty clear the Bama DB thought Scott was going to be running a fade. His hips are already angled to the sideline and when Scott starts cutting inside the DB knows he has been beaten and just reaches out and grabs him.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015TigerAlum View Post
If you watch the last play from the camera angle behind the offense its pretty clear the Bama DB thought Scott was going to be running a fade. His hips are already angled to the sideline and when Scott starts cutting inside the DB knows he has been beaten and just reaches out and grabs him.
I've only seen one replay but it looked to me like Scott easily went to the ground once the DB made first contact. Probably to make it obvious.

And I read somewhere that a defensive player was screaming from the sidelines that it was a rub....or pick. It shouldn't have been a surprise.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:55 PM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

AHHAHA Suck it Bama
Old 01-11-2017, 04:57 PM
Ring of Honor

Them sumbiches need to call 1-800-WaaaaWaaa and get them a Wambulance to take them to that special place!
Old 01-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Travel Team

This is a neat page, but go down to the ESPN Coaches Film Room feed. One coached asks "where is the flag" in real time, but when they run it back that all agree that it was all on the defense, and they applaud the play call.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/cl...-he-1791012085
Old 01-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Swinney on the rub play to set up Renfrow's winner

On the first one Jordan Leggett raises his arms ins catching motion. The play was clean.

On the second one the defender pulls Scott down - he causes the collision. Again, it is a clean play.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:49 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
On the first one Jordan Leggett raises his arms ins catching motion. The play was clean.

On the second one the defender pulls Scott down - he causes the collision. Again, it is a clean play.
On the first one, I'll give Leggett an Oscar, Emmy, and Golden Globe for the acting job he pulled off on the play. He had his shoulder in the defender for two full strides. Putting the hands up sealed the best acting performance in the game. Any other crew calls that offensive PI... just felt like the crew calling that game were told to swallow their whistles. Otherwise, the Bammer defense would have lost two players for targeting on the first drive.

The game winner... clearly a tackle by the defender.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:46 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUnMS View Post
This is a neat page, but go down to the ESPN Coaches Film Room feed. One coached asks "where is the flag" in real time, but when they run it back that all agree that it was all on the defense, and they applaud the play call.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/cl...-he-1791012085
That was awesome. Thanks for sharing. Totally proves Dabo's point. The DB definitely made first contact with Scott. He tried to shuck him to the side to get out on Renfrow but Scott is way too strong for that and even though the defender had him, he just drove his legs straight through him. Maybe the easiest pass all season for Watson.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015TigerAlum View Post
Had to have gotten beat or artavis just flopped. Ones does not simply ring him down, but either way I don't care since we won!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Ring of Honor

Addazio was pretty pleased with it too. Good for him. He's not like Doeren.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:15 PM
Two Deep

#3 was the hero on that play. I enjoyed watching him without the ball this year. He will do well in the NFL