Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 AM
TCI Staff

Default In-depth background on Radakovich’s path to retaining Brownell

article
Old 03-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: In-depth background on Radakovich’s path to retaining Brownell

Clemson's bull-headedness in trying to save a buck in basketball is so frustrating. It is our second most popular sport and is the only other money-making sport besides football. We should do whatever it takes to make it successful, even if it means cutting other sports which lose money. This is ridiculous.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:33 PM
Scholarship Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Keller View Post
Clemson's bull-headedness in trying to save a buck in basketball is so frustrating. It is our second most popular sport and is the only other money-making sport besides football. We should do whatever it takes to make it successful, even if it means cutting other sports which lose money. This is ridiculous.
It is wholly counter-intuitive how the basketball program is being run.

Seriously... what is the reasonable expectation for MBB next year?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:34 PM
Tiger Starter

Disappointing for the future of Clemson hoops as it just kicks the can down the road when the BUYOUT is only $3M. Is it really going to be any different next year? Just end it or extend him to infinity. Shame of it is that what it tells me is no one of any significance is interested in the Clemson job.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:54 PM
Tiger Starter

thanks for the scoop!
Old 03-20-2017, 01:11 PM
Tiger Starter

It tells me that this buyout is the problem. Maybe we can't afford to pay a coach $2.8MM a year but we certainly can't afford a buyout and $2.8MM a year. Wade might be on the table if we didn't have this asinine buyout to contend with. Or maybe Wade wasn't every really an option and we can't afford to pay a HC that much money.

Regardless I think we have indeed kicked the can down the road for a few more years. We might just have to keep Brownell around until his contract expires and we don't have to shell out huge money to get rid of him.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:52 PM
Tiger Starter

Very nice reporting, Will.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Two Deep

Listening to WCCP on way home from work. Qualk and Kelly were speaking a bit on Rad's message. Kelly said she knew that the women's basketball coach had been told, after last season, to make some changes with her staff. Obviously something good came of that as they went from 4 to 15 wins the last two seasons. Qualk, please correct my undertanding of Kelly's comments if incorrect.

In any case, perhaps something similar was presented to CBB, maybe with other things, like the Leggett situation.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Tiger Starter

I want to know how much money Clemson brings in for basketball games. Tickets, merchandise, concessions and anything else I am leaving out. The point is I have a feeling, especially the beginning of the year and the whole year if CBB doesn't turn it around, that the money lost for horrible attendance would offset a 3 year 1.15m dollar buyout. Look if Brownell turns it around I will be the first to come on here and eat crow but after a 7 year sample size that the chances of that happening are slim to none. I would like to know how successful coaches are after receiving notice like Brownell has. This is horrible for recruiting unless he can somehow sway Zion into spending his one year playing college ball to save his job, I don't see this ending well at all. Make no mistake this has nothing to do with Brownell the man, I am sure he is the nicest man in America but I don't care about that. I care about having a program I can be proud of and after last week we as fans (most fans) are as far from something to be proud of as one could be. I hope DRad gets bombarded with angry e-mails and I hope these big money donors are breathing straight down the back of his neck. Its just beyond me that after 7 years we still have to give a guy a chance. Hell I wish I had 8 year chances. Any sane person would want Brownell to succeed here, heck I don't care who the coach is I want them to succeed here thats beside the point. The question isn't do you want him to succeed here the question is can he succeed here and if so what the timeline is for succeeding. If this doesn't work this one move could set Clemson back for a few years. I don't know what to say, I am utterly disappointed. Freaking asinine that I have to come home and read this. He has the facilities and I have yet to see improvement in the prospects he is bringing in or higher touted recruits being more interested in Clemson because of facilities. Big time guys want to win and if you look at the small number of highly touted guys that have come out of this state and their lack of interest in Clemson should tell anyone all they need to know about Brownell and this program right now. This isn't mid-major ball you aren't going to coach your way to the top of the standings you have to have talent. There is a problem that the highest rated guys he can get are transfers , which also hurts recruiting. There are reasons why these guys are transfers to begin with. Sorry I am done. Going to start drafting my e-mail to DRad and let him know he has lost about 10 basketball game attending fans with this move.