Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default The Insider Report

It is time for this week’s edition of The Insider Report.

We hope everyone had a great weekend. It was a great one at Doug Kingsmore Stadium where the Tigers won the series against Virginia.

Zion Williamson’s Impact on Coach Brownell

The nation’s No. 1 prospect Zion Williamson is receiving hype around the nation. He is a program changer for sure even though it may only be for a year.

We can tell you that his recruitment even came up in the meeting Saturday between Brownell and athletic director Dan Radakovich. It actually came up from Radakovich who asked about a recent article that listed a top four for Williamson that included South Carolina, but not Clemson.

Brownell was ready to respond to that inquiry with some information that was more positive for the Tigers.

The Clemson Insider spoke with a source very close to Williamson’s recruitment and the Tigers are actually in better shape than some think. There is strong family pressure for Williamson to stay in-state where he can be a legend instead of heading to Duke or North Carolina where he would be just one star in a program that has many stars.

The Williamson camp made it known that if Brownell was let go that Clemson would no longer be in the mix for the franchise prospect. Thus if Radakovich has decided to let Brownell go he would have made it more likely that the 5-star prospect ended up playing for the Gamecocks.

Williamson won’t bring his dominate skills to the college game until 2018, but if the Tigers could land him they would instantly have a team capable of making March Madness and doing some damage in the tourney.

Clemson is still very much a player for Williamson, much more than many think. If Brownell and his staff could sign Williamson it would almost guarantee two more years for Brownell and likely more based on how Williamson would change the program.

There is a long way to go for the recruitment of this superstar. This will be a fun one to watch for sure.

Hard to Cover

One of the hardest things for us to cover is a potential coaching change. I told Will Saturday how hard it was to cover the Brownell situation. It’s easy for fans to just look at how the coach is doing on the court or on the field, but when we cover a potential coaching change it hits hard because we know it is about someone’s livelihood and has a big impact on the coaching staff's families. Any of you that have been fired or wondered about your job status in the past know how hard it can be on the family.

Saturday morning I watched as Brownell made the long walk from his office in the new facility over to the McFadden building to meet with Radakovich. Brownell stopped by the women’s coaches’ offices and peaked through the windows for a few moments before heading over. He walked down the street with his hands in his pockets and his head down. He had to be unsure about his future heading into the meeting.

When he made the walk back following the meeting two and a half hours later Will was waiting to interview Brownell. Will had to wait for a minute as Brownell was already on the phone to his wife to share how the meeting went.

It was of course a very, very stressful few days for Brownell, his staff and those around the basketball program. The staff met with Brownell briefly Saturday afternoon after his meeting, but still had concerns about their future following that conversation. Plenty of false rumors were floating around the Internet that didn’t help the families over the weekend.

Now that the decision has been made coaches, fans and players can turn their focus back to basketball.

Possible Lineup Change Coming

Baseball coach Monte Lee continues to shuffle his lineup looking for the best run production against left and right handed pitchers. Friday night the Tigers really struggled at the plate, but came back very strong on Saturday and Sunday.

There is one potential move we could see in the future if he continues to look for more production at the plate. For the past few days Chris Williams has been taking ground balls at third during warm-ups. I saw something similar last year from Lee where he had someone work at a new position for a week or two during warm-ups before eventually making a move in the lineup.

Williams of course played third last year. The move could come in the future if Lee wants to figure out how to get Robert Jolly and Chris Williams in the lineup at the same time without having to put Jolly in as the DH.

We told you in the preseason this team would be the deepest Clemson has had in a while. We have already seen that play out with the frequent changes. Don’t be surprised if we see more as coach Lee continues to look for the best lineup.

Please do not copy or paste this information to any other media outlets. As you know TCI is Free so if you know someone that wants the information simply send them to The Rock.

Last edited by Will Vandervort; 03-20-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Travel Team

Default Re: The Insider Report

So if I am understanding what you have written. A 17 year uncommitted recruit that has not publicly put Clemson in his top four is determining the direction of our basketball program.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:26 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggershark View Post
So if I am understanding what you have written. A 17 year uncommitted recruit that has not publicly put Clemson in his top four is determining the direction of our basketball program.
Wouldn't say that Shark. What you should take from the report above is how his name came up in the meeting, how the concern was responded to and also the fact that Clemson is in better shape than many think with Williamson.

That was certainly not the "determing factor" I don't think but certainly one of the things under consideration.

If you followed our reporting over the past few weeks and our report earlier today you know Radakovich already planned to bring Brownell back, but needed to go through his process.

Long way to go on Williamson and can't predict right now where he will sign. If he was to sign with Clemson that would be a game changer as it would elevate the team significantly.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:45 PM
Tiger Starter

Ask the x LSU coach how letting a recruit determine your job status works out for ya. That and the money issue is crap...we will face the same issues next year period mark it down.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:35 PM
Travel Team

Well it's going to suck pretty bad if Williamson goes to the cocks and we are stuck with Brownell. They actually think they lead for him especially going deep in the tourney and his desire to stay in-state.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 PM
Tiger Starter

Glad to hear that Brad has obviously built a good relationship with Zion and his family. I still don't understand how we are still in play for him when he didn't list us in his top 3 a few weeks ago.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:40 PM
Travel Team

If brad has to make staff change how would it affect zion?

Last edited by luvdtigers; 03-20-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:28 AM
Travel Team

Send a message via Yahoo to SpartanTiger

So by this theory another sub par year for Brownell and the Tigers will help us land Zion? I have my doubts that we land Zion, and as a one and done will that really help us? He has made it known he loves and grew up a Duke fan. I am glad the family wants him to stay in state, unfortunately the Gamecocks at this time give him a better shot to be a winner. As someone pointed out earlier we have put our hopes on a kid who will not even be on campus for another year and a half, and the team will not be better for keeping Brownell this year. If the kid is truly a generational player then he will be one and done where ever he goes, including Gamecocks. I hope I am wrong, but i have no faith in Brownell.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Walk On

Thumbs up Re: The Insider Report

Chris is obviously good enough to play 3rd and allowing Jolly in the game @ C and still having that DH spot available is critical. I like that Lee is considering this move since Cromwell has struggled all season with consistency at the plate although he has been solid at 3rd. I say DH Seth and put Wharton in RF for CofC and see how it goes. If well, i say repeat at in Rhode Island and go from there.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Two Deep

So what DRad and Brownell think is that this kid is so great, that he can change the program in two years.

I find that hard to believe because I think Blossomgame is/was a pretty dang special player. Before him, we had KJ McDaniels.

Now I get it, neither were as highly rated as this kid coming out of high school. But Blossomgame and McDaniels are both NBA caliber players. And they didn't get us to the promise land.

Clemson is not going to start winning because we get one recruit. Yes, things can start changing with one recruit like we saw in football and CJ Spiller. But that ship has sailed for Brownell.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Travel Team

It would be with Mitchell, Reed, and Thomas' senior years theoretically so could be a serious team depending on the developement of a few guys and I'd Zion is as good as advertised. I think Mitchell will wind up being one of the best PG to have gone through Clemson by his senior year. The kid can play. Reed can score, just needs more confidence in this league, and Thomas is as talented of a big man that we have had in a while (only a sophomore). There is some hope and excitement for the team. Add in the hype around Zion and that's a legitimate program hopefully making a final 4 run.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Scholarship Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggershark View Post
No, no, no... Let's not be so harsh. [sarcasm]

A 17-year old likely ONE AND DONE recruit is determining the direction of the Clemson men's basketball program.

You can gussy that up all you want, but that is the reality of it.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth View Post
No, no, no... Let's not be so harsh. [sarcasm]

A 17-year old likely ONE AND DONE recruit is determining the direction of the Clemson men's basketball program.

You can gussy that up all you want, but that is the reality of it.
That could be one deep run in March if he is as advertised. That could have longer lasting ramifications on the program.

And let's be honest, Clemson Basketball hasn't reallly been lighting the world on fire since....

Last edited by carlos; 03-21-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Tiger Starter

I believe that several years down the road we will look at the decision/nondecision that let Wade slip away from us, and end up at LSU as another nail in Clemson's basketball program. I think that we missed a golden opportunity to put the program on a solid footing. Instead we will be in a position of maybe making the NCAAs every few years, and the rest will be NIT seasons. The coaches involved in the Zion Williamson battle are salivating over how they can use the way the season ended against Clemson. I am sure that Brownell and the coaches on his staff are all good men, but there comes a time where you have to be judged based on your results, and the results are not there.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:54 PM
Travel Team

We spend 63.5 Million renovating Little John and we can't come up with another 3.5 to complete the over haul to show we are serious about basketball.

The fact that a recruit that will not be eligible for two years even entered the conversation about retaining a Brownell is idiotic. So even if he were to commit next year and we have a repeat performance on the court you are saying we will retain Brownell again?

This makes no sense. I supported and defended Brownell as much as anyone. I still feel he got sold a bunch of goods and had terrible luck to go with it. But 6-7 years is enough time despite all that has taken place. Do I think he would leave our program in better shape than when he started? Yes, but that isn't enough. Fire him now and move on.