Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2017, 09:46 PM
NFL Tiger

Default any NCAA wrestling fans?

Penn State is rolling so far
Old 03-18-2017, 09:58 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: any NCAA wrestling fans?

Big wrestling fan. PSU clinched in earlier rounds. My buddy is doctor of wrestling team at OSU.

PSU is dynasty
Old 03-18-2017, 10:12 PM
NFL Tiger

yes they are! Sanderson built a monster up there. He is surely headed for the Hall of fame as a wrestler and a coach
Old 03-18-2017, 10:23 PM
NFL Tiger

I was in practice room at Iowa 1995. They were so great back then. Now in top five but they have a way to go
Old 03-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonurlacher View Post
I was in practice room at Iowa 1995. They were so great back then. Now in top five but they have a way to go
Incredible tourney! I was very pleased with ESPNs coverage to. One of my sons did the PSU intensive camp...spent some time there after the camp....loved coach Casey....got to see the trophies.
What Cael has done is unbelievable. The way they dominated despite losing Suriano for the tourney...wow! I especially liked watching Imar get stuck by a freshman!
I'm praying the addition of softball will add enough title 9 slots to bring wrestling back to CU.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:43 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89falcon View Post
Incredible tourney! I was very pleased with ESPNs coverage to. One of my sons did the PSU intensive camp...spent some time there after the camp....loved coach Casey....got to see the trophies.
What Cael has done is unbelievable. The way they dominated despite losing Suriano for the tourney...wow! I especially liked watching Imar get stuck by a freshman!
I'm praying the addition of softball will add enough title 9 slots to bring wrestling back to CU.
I hope wrestling comes back too. It was great coverage.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:44 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: any NCAA wrestling fans?

Quote:
Did you know Clemson had individual NCAA wrestling champions when it was a men's sport?

Still can't believe they jump from 197 to 285 lb. Seriously? I think it is dumb that high schools jump from 220 to 285 without a weight clsss in between.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:05 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
Did you know Clemson had individual NCAA wrestling champions when it was a men's sport?

Still can't believe they jump from 197 to 285 lb. Seriously? I think it is dumb that high schools jump from 220 to 285 without a weight clsss in between.
The champ at 285 weighs 225. Once your over 200, weight quits being the factor it was below.
I've been involved in wrestling for a loooonnnngggg time. If anything, there are too many weight classes for the Chubbies. In Co, We had a kid finish 4th in the city tournament at 195....so he went up to 220 and won the state championship...weighing no more than 200 lbs. it's difficult to even find a someone at those weights who are willing to do the work the sport requires in many high schools. Meanwhile...at the middle of the lineup....the real wrestlers live.

Oh...Noel Loban...was an Olympic bronze medalist for Great Britain....Clemson's first NC in any sport....
Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
The champ at 285 weighs 225. Once your over 200, weight quits being the factor it was below.
I've been involved in wrestling for a loooonnnngggg time. If anything, there are too many weight classes for the Chubbies. In Co, We had a kid finish 4th in the city tournament at 195....so he went up to 220 and won the state championship...weighing no more than 200 lbs. it's difficult to even find a someone at those weights who are willing to do the work the sport requires in many high schools. Meanwhile...at the middle of the lineup....the real wrestlers live.

Oh...Noel Loban...was an Olympic bronze medalist for Great Britain....Clemson's first NC in any sport....
Sammie Henson transferred to Clemson. He was 71-0 and won two NCAA championships. Loban was a Coach with Wolfpack. He is still there but not in coaching.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 AM
NFL Tiger

Another thing about PSU. They had 5 champions. Tied for most all time. They all return. Scary good again next year
Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonurlacher View Post
Another thing about PSU. They had 5 champions. Tied for most all time. They all return. Scary good again next year
And....one of their starters (Suriano, the 133 iirc) was the number 2 seed....and beat the champion 7-0 this year...he missed the tourney for an ankle injury...he's a freshman...scary good may not be a strong enough term
Old 03-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
And....one of their starters (Suriano, the 133 iirc) was the number 2 seed....and beat the champion 7-0 this year...he missed the tourney for an ankle injury...he's a freshman...scary good may not be a strong enough term
Injuries suck - my youngest missed 9th grade with dislocated elbow, got to state semis in 10th, then missed 11th with a concussion.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:09 AM
The Gambler - Charter Member - Clemson Insider - Gate Veteran

Zain Retherford absolutely dominated. Rarely do you see a finals match so one sided.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:49 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezmrin View Post
Zain Retherford absolutely dominated. Rarely do you see a finals match so one sided.
Yes. Gave up first take down and then dominated.