Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default Now that decision is final how do you feel about it?

It's a completed process now. Now that you know Radakovich has decided to bring back Brownell how do you feel about the process. We have one thing that will be in tonight's Insider that might change some of your opinions.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:05 AM
Travel Team

Default Re: Now that decision is final how do you feel about it?

I see little chance Brownell succeeds. Recruiting wasn't great before, and it won't improve with a lame duck coach. Fan support is going to be down also. I just don't see room for optimism after seven years of Brownell.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Tiger Starter

Dead man walking
Old 03-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Travel Team

I understand the decision. The buyout is large and I don't think there were any coaches out there that were "can't miss" kind of guys. The best thing that could happen going forward is that Brownell finds the success next year that many thought the team would have this year. Brownell definitely seems to have missed on the biggest fish in the pond, but I like the players that are coming in next year. Elijah Thomas looks very promising as an inside scorer. If this team can gel defensively and learn to rebound as a team. They could surprise next season. I like Brownell, but it's time for him to come through with results.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selway View Post
I see little chance Brownell succeeds. Recruiting wasn't great before, and it won't improve with a lame duck coach. Fan support is going to be down also. I just don't see room for optimism after seven years of Brownell.
I would really like to hear this addressed by both Brownell and DRad. If they are both silent and give the typical he is our guy and we believe in him BS then it shows even less confidence and will to win. I'm sure it was a financial decision, and they will not come out directly and say that, but it is just disappointing as a fan knowing that the next 2 seasons will more than likely be a waste and set the program back even further because recruits will not come to a program when they are being told by other schools and their AAU handlers that CBB will be gone in a couple years so no point in them coming here not knowing what the state of the program will be while they are here. I think that was 8 sentences I made into one, but posting anyway.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:29 AM
NFL Tiger

Another year of mediocrity. Oh! Mediocrity would take a drastic improvement.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
It's a completed process now. Now that you know Radakovich has decided to bring back Brownell how do you feel about the process. We have one thing that will be in tonight's Insider that might change some of your opinions.
Zion Williamson
Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 AM
Ring of Honor

Have to think Brownell's task just got harder with SCar making it to the Sweet 16. And my gut is telling me we've got another Leggett situation. Every negative thing next season, a loss by a few points (again!), apparent lack of team effort, etc., will get blown up.

I asked before but still can't find it but I thought I read somewhere that even with the new facility attendance was lower than expected this year once we kept losing and losing big leads, etc. If that continues next year, it all just seems like a lot to overcome. The only way giving Brownell another year turns out good is if the season goes much better than planned. To me that is how it's like the Leggett situation. So many supporters are ready and rooting for a new path.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 AM
Two Deep

It is what it is.

That pretty much sums up what i feel about the state of the basketball program. I hope for improvement but doubt I'll see it.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Tiger Starter

I like it.
Tiger Starter

I'm disappointed. I like Brownell and think he is a good coach. He represents our program and our school with class, and has done everything right except win more games. It was an especially frustrating season due to us being so competitive and narrowly losing so many games.

As many here know, I supported keeping him if Clemson was just going to do the usual song and dance of acting like they are committed to basketball but still end up hiring someone for cheap hoping they will work out. However, if we were going to actually support basketball as a priority, then I supported firing him and getting a great coach.

The news over the weekend about Will Wade possibly being our next coach got me excited. I felt that Clemson had likely made the decision to support basketball better. Also, over the weekend, I read a stat saying that nearly half of Brownell's ACC wins have come against the three teams at the bottom of the ACC, and all of those teams have recently hired new coaches. I felt strongly that we should too.

I still hope that Brad is successful here. It would be great to see our team improve next year and make the NCAA Tournament, while also continuing to improve recruiting. I expect to see DRad require Brad to make some staff changes and meet certain performance expectations, much as he did with Leggett in baseball. I don't have a lot of confidence that it will make a difference.
Travel Team

The only way this makes sense is if we have a real chance with Zion.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 AM
NFL Tiger

It sucks. I guess D-Rad and Clemson admin are just not overly concerned about the success of the Bball program and are fine with just being OK. I am certainly a football fan the most, but I want every team at Clemson to be successful. And the added fuel to the fire is that SCAR is in the sweet sixteen with less advantages than CBB has here at Clemson. How can that be?!?!? The BEST should be the standard across the board and getting shown up by our rival is embarrassing.

CBB will have the hottest seat in all of college Bball next season.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Tiger Starter

Am I thrilled about it? No. But I suppose I'm ok with one more make or break year. I've said it before that Mitchell and Reed just got better and better as the year went by. With Thomas, Zion coming in, we could be better next year personnel-wise. Those close loses this year could turn into close wins next year, and everyone will be praising CBB.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Wade thought our program was comparable to a mid major program and wouldn't come here anyway!!! We don't want him . Main thing I'm worried about is recruiting for the next few years. Probably going to have to be heavy in the transfer market if/when brownell is let go (not that we have needed to be heavy in the transfer market anyway).

Last edited by cutigers2321; 03-20-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 AM
Walk On

I'm OK with it. He 'fits' Clemson. I hope he'll be successful next year.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 AM
Scholarship Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPickles View Post
Zion Williamson
Lol not sure if serious
Old 03-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Tiger Starter

I hope he can get it figured out next year but I don't just don't see it happening with the current state of the program
Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 AM
Two Deep

With the success Scar is having in the tourney, ita going to be even harder for Brownell to recruit.

We were a bottom dweller in a mediocre conference. Next year we will be a bottom dweller in a decent conference. Don't see that changing anytime soon.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:05 PM
Tiger Starter

To be honest, I am glad the limbo is over. Either make a change or focus on what we have to work with. Poster judge has good post above. I hope we have a better product next season. I don't think we were bad as we were a tough out but really need to get more Ws and ultimately put more fans in LJ. Hopefully we still have a shot at guys like Zion.
I am looking forward to insider report later today!