Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 12:05 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Now that decision is final how do you feel about it?

I am going to continue wining and griping for another day or two, but then it will be time to get behind Brad and support the Tigers. It's still our team, and we eventually need to get behind it.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Travel Team

I will support Brad Brownell because he is our coach. I think this came down to a couple of things. One..Brad has done everything the right way in terms of running a clean program, graduating players, and Donte Grantham notwithstanding has done an admiral job of developing players and DRad does want to give him a chance to succeed with the new toys he has.

2nd..with what Clemson was willing to pay a head coach....I don't think there was someone out there that was a "can't miss" prospect...that was any better than what you had. I would not even put Will Wade in that category at this point although most will disagree with that.

The problem is not the decision made today...it was the one 3 years ago with the contract extension with the high buyout. I too hope that next year is a different year and Brad goes on to be successful.....but I'm not optimistic and feel that DRad is prolonging the inevitable. My 2 cents!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Travel Team

Think he is a great fit for the culture, good guy, etc., but obviously, it about winning. Wanted to pose this question. Did winning the NC in football put unwarranted pressure on the basketball program? I know 8 years is a long time, and maybe there should be more pressure, but if the football team was, say, barely bowl eligible would "we" be as determined to get a new bball coach?
Old 03-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Now that decision is final how do you feel about it?

I hope it works out but I suspect we are delaying the inevitable.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerNE View Post
Have to think Brownell's task just got harder with SCar making it to the Sweet 16. And my gut is telling me we've got another Leggett situation. Every negative thing next season, a loss by a few points (again!), apparent lack of team effort, etc., will get blown up.

I asked before but still can't find it but I thought I read somewhere that even with the new facility attendance was lower than expected this year once we kept losing and losing big leads, etc. If that continues next year, it all just seems like a lot to overcome. The only way giving Brownell another year turns out good is if the season goes much better than planned. To me that is how it's like the Leggett situation. So many supporters are ready and rooting for a new path.
I know Jack Leggett was not popular with many, and I get what you're saying on some level, but to compare what he accomplished with what Brownell has accomplished is insulting to Leggett. There's no comparison of the two resumes.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:51 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTiger7 View Post
Think he is a great fit for the culture, good guy, etc., but obviously, it about winning. Wanted to pose this question. Did winning the NC in football put unwarranted pressure on the basketball program? I know 8 years is a long time, and maybe there should be more pressure, but if the football team was, say, barely bowl eligible would "we" be as determined to get a new bball coach?
I think maybe winning the Natty in FB did amp up the expectations for all the sports programs at Clemson. But I don't think that's a bad thing. What I think it did was prove that "little ol' Clemson" could get it done in football, so why not Basketball, Baseball, etc, etc. And, as fans, we should expect greatness from every team that walks onto that field/court, whether it's the Track team, the Cross Country team, the Tennis team or the Basketball team. It's the school's responsibility to hire the right staff, make sure our facilities are on-par with the competition and put the coaching staff and athletes in position to win. Clemson did not do that today. They went with "it's good enough" instead of demanding greatness.

Dear Clemson,

We want to win... at everything.

Sincerely,
Your Fans
Old 03-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Scholarship Player

Well, DRad has backed himself into a corner with the CBB contract extension and the lack of productiveness of the bball team.

Brownell is the Clemson coach and I will support the team. Sure do hope next year is a positive surprise.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Tiger Starter

I think it was time for a change but I can see where the $'s don't add up. I have always liked Brad and thought he was a class act, so hope they see something we don't and he really turns it around next year. I'll support my Tigers no matter what.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Travel Team

I hate to sound like Robert Duval in "Days of Thunder" but the only coaches that are going to take the Clemson job is some young hot shot that if successful is going to bail in a few years (Barnes), some washed up retread (Cliff Ellis now), or some ole boy who was not worth a sxxt to begin with (Shyatt).

I am not as sold on Will Wade as some of you are so to me if you want to prove you are serious about basketball...then get on a plane and fly to Wichita and ask Gregg Marshall what it would take. Would he come...probably not....but at least you are showing that you are serious about winning Clemson basketball.

At the end of the day....you get what you pay for....and for what we seem to be willing to pay....we were not going to do any better than what we have.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:59 PM
Tiger Starter

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Barnes did not bail because he was a young hot shot that moved on to better things. He left Clemson for personal reasons.

I feel like DRad forced himself into a corner with that contract extension. I remember Robert saying it was a dumb move and ridiculous contract and boy was he right.

I'll continue to be very meh about Clemson basketball so this move didn't really change anything for me. We'll continue to be below par in a mediocre conference and life will continue to move on. Maybe SCar's season will end up being a good thing as it shows that anybody can develop a winning program regardless of your history if you hire the right guy and support him. I do not think Brownell is the right guy but there's a whole lot of fans that seem to think bc we have never won at this sport we never can. I say that's horseshit and Scar is proving it to be just that.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:36 PM
Travel Team

I read the Insider Report. No way there is a guarantee that a one and done freshmen like Zion Williamson is going to change the fortune of the program. Especially one two years from being in college. Brad was going to tell anything to DRad on Zion to make it look we had a strong case to land him. If we could not get to the tourney with a four year senior like Blossomgame, what makes you feel that a true freshmen can? He's a great prospect but right out of HS and not at LeBron James. I expect Brad to be gone next year after not getting Zion to commit and another 16-15 season.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:08 PM
Two Deep

Well, I have always thought BB had great potential. However, results matter in sports. You have to show progress.

At this point, it feels more like a charity case than a good decision for Clemson Basketball.

Just sayin....
Old 03-20-2017, 11:11 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemhick77 View Post
I read the Insider Report. No way there is a guarantee that a one and done freshmen like Zion Williamson is going to change the fortune of the program. Especially one two years from being in college. Brad was going to tell anything to DRad on Zion to make it look we had a strong case to land him. If we could not get to the tourney with a four year senior like Blossomgame, what makes you feel that a true freshmen can? He's a great prospect but right out of HS and not at LeBron James. I expect Brad to be gone next year after not getting Zion to commit and another 16-15 season.
Yep, see where Ben Simmons got LSU, where Dennis Smith Jr. got NC State... It would be awesome to get Zion Williamson, but it's no guarantee of success. Especially with the track record for recruiting and team success of the current staff.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:11 AM
Ring of Honor

I learned a long time ago that selecting coaches isn't my "job" - I'm a fan and the AD, Pres, and BOT make those calls. I'm certainly have no reason to think I would do it better than the people who get paid to make those decisions. I wasn't overly pleased with how the season went this year but again I'm a fan. I don't always agree with the decisions - I certainly questioned giving an untested WR coach the reins in FB but I guess that turned out ok - but I believe they generally get it right.