Clemson Insider Logo



Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Robert Thorne MacRae's Avatar
Robert Thorne MacRae Robert Thorne MacRae is offline
Publisher, Recruiting Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 81,006
Default Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

Statement from Dan Radakovich, Clemson Director of Athletics

“As part of a comprehensive season-ending review and evaluation, I met for several hours with Brad Brownell to review the recently completed season and to look ahead to 2017-2018. Both of us believe strongly that we should have achieved more this season and Brad is candid with his own critique and assessment. As we move forward, I expect Brad to make changes in the program to better position us for success. He continues to represent Clemson University with integrity and class, and we will continue to do all that we can to help him as we expect to achieve consistent success with our men’s basketball program.”
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Judge Keller Judge Keller is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,413
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

Translation: he is going to have to fire some staff members and will be on a tight leash this year.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:02 AM
Walhalla2Atlanta's Avatar
Walhalla2Atlanta Walhalla2Atlanta is offline
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,058
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

Sounds like a "you got one more year to get this right" kinda deal to me. I think it's a mistake, but maybe this is the fire under CBB's feet that turn him into the coach we'd all hoped he would be for our Tigers. Time will tell, but I'm not very optimistic. I would've like to have seen a coaching change.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 AM
2015TigerAlum 2015TigerAlum is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,755
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

Consistent success? I'd be okay with any success at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:20 AM
OrangeCrush OrangeCrush is online now
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Goose Creek S.C.
Posts: 1,308
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

DRad blew this one.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:40 AM
whitiger whitiger is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,699
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

Well that's just special.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:47 AM
OrangeCrush OrangeCrush is online now
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Goose Creek S.C.
Posts: 1,308
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

I'm reading alot of disgruntled fans on the story of rataining CBB on facebook...looks like DRAD might take some heat for this now.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:58 AM
cufan cufan is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,048
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

There is one absolutely huge problem with this. It is going to kill recruiting for next year. Other coaches are going to use this against Clemson. They will be telling recruits that they have no idea who their coach will be at Clemson, and it's true. The next coach will be walking into an even bigger mess.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 AM
Clemsonfan1364 Clemsonfan1364 is offline
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4,733
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

I guess we swung and missed on Wade....did he want too much or something?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Judge Keller Judge Keller is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,413
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsonfan1364 View Post
I guess we swung and missed on Wade....did he want too much or something?
His agent was reportedly asking for $2-$3 million per year, and we were reportedly offering him $1.75 million plus incentives. We continue to offer low salaries to our basketball coaches and wonder why we never get our first choice and can't keep our few successful basketball coaches here.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 AM
Robert Thorne MacRae's Avatar
Robert Thorne MacRae Robert Thorne MacRae is offline
Publisher, Recruiting Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 81,006
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Keller View Post
His agent was reportedly asking for $2-$3 million per year, and we were reportedly offering him $1.75 million plus incentives. We continue to offer low salaries to our basketball coaches and wonder why we never get our first choice and can't keep our few successful basketball coaches here.
That's incorrect. Read our update Will put up around lunch. Plenty of false reporting and rumors out there on the Wade situation. There was never any real talk of Wade coming to Clemson. As I posted in another thread Clemson could never afford what Wade was asking in addition to the buyout. Neither could NC State for that matter. So there was no discussions with Wade.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:51 PM
Judge Keller Judge Keller is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,413
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
That's incorrect. Read our update Will put up around lunch. Plenty of false reporting and rumors out there on the Wade situation. There was never any real talk of Wade coming to Clemson. As I posted in another thread Clemson could never afford what Wade was asking in addition to the buyout. Neither could NC State for that matter. So there was no discussions with Wade.
I read that article. Regarding this line from it:

"Knowing Wade’s asking price, plus the buyout the school would have had to pay Brownell, which would have been $3.5 million spread out over three years, it was obvious to us that Wade was never in serious consideration to be the head coach at Clemson. There was no way Clemson was going to pay in the neighborhood of $2.8 million on top of another $1-plus million it would have to pay Brownell for the next three years."

Clemson had to at least be considering firing Brownell in the hope of hiring Wade. Otherwise, why wouldn't DRad have come out on Saturday and stated that Brownell is our coach? And how would Clemson have known what Wade was asking for, and evaluated that in light of what Clemson wants to spend on basketball, if there was not an interest on our behalf?

Connecting the dots here, it seems that DRad wanted to make a play for Wade, which is why he had everything lined up to fire Brownell if Wade was attainable. When he found out that Wade was asking for too much, he decided to keep Brownell.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Robert Thorne MacRae's Avatar
Robert Thorne MacRae Robert Thorne MacRae is offline
Publisher, Recruiting Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 81,006
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Keller View Post
I read that article. Regarding this line from it:

"Knowing Wade’s asking price, plus the buyout the school would have had to pay Brownell, which would have been $3.5 million spread out over three years, it was obvious to us that Wade was never in serious consideration to be the head coach at Clemson. There was no way Clemson was going to pay in the neighborhood of $2.8 million on top of another $1-plus million it would have to pay Brownell for the next three years."

Clemson had to at least be considering firing Brownell in the hope of hiring Wade. Otherwise, why wouldn't DRad have come out on Saturday and stated that Brownell is our coach? And how would Clemson have known what Wade was asking for, and evaluated that in light of what Clemson wants to spend on basketball, if there was not an interest on our behalf?

Connecting the dots here, it seems that DRad wanted to make a play for Wade, which is why he had everything lined up to fire Brownell if Wade was attainable. When he found out that Wade was asking for too much, he decided to keep Brownell.
No, once again you are incorrect. Not sure when you see the depth of our reporting on this situation that you continue to argue our points.

No Radakovich didn't want to make a play for Wade. Luckily we don't have to connect dots. We aren't going to talk about our sources but just because we know what Wade was asking for doesn't mean it came from discussions with Clemson. It did not. The fact that we know what Wade was asking has nothing whatsoever to do with Clemson making a play for Wade. That did not happen. That is fact.

If you followed our reporting on this situation and the coach Leggett situation you should see why there was no word on Saturday. As we reported Brownell was given some things he needed to address with the program on Saturday. He had to have time to consider those and confirm with Radakovich that he agreed to make those changes. The exact same thing happened with Brownell.

The whole Will Wade discussion was simply bad reporting that was done by others. That never happened.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:15 PM
Judge Keller Judge Keller is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,413
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
No, once again you are incorrect. Not sure when you see the depth of our reporting on this situation that you continue to argue our points.
I'm not arguing anything. There has been a lot of information put out there, some of which is probably true and some of which probably isn't. You stated over the weekend that TCI has more information on the story but wasn't prepared to release it yet. I can respect that, but you should also know that fans are left to speculate when that is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
No Radakovich didn't want to make a play for Wade.
This is the first time anyone has posted this so definitively. Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
We aren't going to talk about our sources but just because we know what Wade was asking for doesn't mean it came from discussions with Clemson. It did not. The fact that we know what Wade was asking has nothing whatsoever to do with Clemson making a play for Wade. That did not happen. That is fact.
Again, this is the first time this has been stated in detail. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
If you followed our reporting on this situation and the coach Leggett situation you should see why there was no word on Saturday. As we reported Brownell was given some things he needed to address with the program on Saturday. He had to have time to consider those and confirm with Radakovich that he agreed to make those changes. The exact same thing happened with Brownell.
I followed your reporting very closely. If you followed the posts this weekend, you would know that I was keeping close tabs on what you reported as well as the other rumors out there.

I appreciate all that you guys provide with your coverage, but you can surely understand when the rest of us (who are not privy to inside sources) speculate and wonder.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:48 PM
allsporttiger allsporttiger is offline
Travel Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 338
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

Just a thought...regarding the above posts. I understand your desire to know what was happening regarding this situation, but...

When someone writes speculation down in a thread, someone else reads it as fact. And reiterates it as such. Best not to speculate.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:52 PM
Clemson Fan JT's Avatar
Clemson Fan JT Clemson Fan JT is offline
Charter Member - Clemson Insider
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shelby NC *Home of Crest High*
Posts: 4,057
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

In closing, there was no other coach who would be available that would want to coach at Clemson
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-20-2017, 05:27 PM
Judge Keller Judge Keller is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,413
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsporttiger View Post
Just a thought...regarding the above posts. I understand your desire to know what was happening regarding this situation, but...

When someone writes speculation down in a thread, someone else reads it as fact. And reiterates it as such. Best not to speculate.
Everything piece of speculation I posted over the weekend was from other journalists. One was from a writer who covers the ACC, and the other was from a writer who covers VCU.

Other Clemson sites have posted details which differ from what was posted here, so one can surely understand our confusion.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:03 PM
elcidtiger elcidtiger is offline
Travel Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 474
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

Brownells buyout is virtually the same next year. How are we in a better position at the end of next year? I just don't get the logic of keeping him. How are we supposed to pay his buyout next year and pony up for a top notch coach? We are in the exact same boat except our ticket sales for this coming year is are going to be down
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:09 PM
elcidtiger elcidtiger is offline
Travel Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 474
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

I'm in the minority here but Will Wade is an unproven commodity, and an unproven commodity doesn't deserve 3 mil a year. He has been head coach at vcu for 2 years where he inherited a program on the uptick following Shaka Smart. He has never had to rebuild a program or even win with his own players for that matter.

I get he is the hot guy right now and I know he's a Clemson man but in my opinion he's not worth tying up that kind of money. He needs a little more dirt in his cleats in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:28 PM
mikelongstroke's Avatar
mikelongstroke mikelongstroke is offline
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: minutes from Death Valley
Posts: 3,095
Default Re: Statement from Radakovich on Brownell

This is Jack Leggett all over again.

"Coach, you're gonna hit these key points in the upcoming season"
"O.K."
"and you're gonna make some changes in your coaching staff"
-and here is where the responses differ-
__________________
“Their heart and soul is poured into this program,” Eric Mac Lain re: Clemson fans Yes, yes it is
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.

Partner with USA TODAY Sports Media Group

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.