Clemson Insider Logo



Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-2018, 08:14 PM
Gavin Oliver Gavin Oliver is offline
TCI Staff
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 17,031
Default Clemson 4-star DB target commits elsewhere

Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha four-star safety DeMarcco Hellams committed to Alabama on Monday night. He began an official visit there yesterday.

Hellams chose the Crimson Tide over several other programs such as Clemson, Penn State and Virginia Tech.

He visited Clemson for the spring game this year and attended the Tigers' elite junior day in January as well as their junior day in March 2017 after receiving an offer from Clemson in February 2017.



Last edited by Gavin Oliver; 06-11-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 PM
tigerfootball_48 tigerfootball_48 is online now
Travel Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 345
Default Re: Clemson 4-star DB target commits elsewhere

Wow!! Just goes to show those 24/7 predictions are worthless.. This kid had a 100% to Clemson..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-2018, 07:53 AM
Robert Thorne MacRae's Avatar
Robert Thorne MacRae Robert Thorne MacRae is online now
Publisher, Recruiting Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 94,602
Default Re: Clemson 4-star DB target commits elsewhere

Very worthless
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-12-2018, 08:52 AM
melamb13 melamb13 is online now
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
Posts: 8,510
Default Re: Clemson 4-star DB target commits elsewhere

I wonder if Dabo is re-thinking the early OVs yet???
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-12-2018, 09:40 AM
LawStudent LawStudent is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Johns Island
Posts: 1,712
Default Re: Clemson 4-star DB target commits elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by melamb13 View Post
I wonder if Dabo is re-thinking the early OVs yet???

Number 4 recruiting class (247 Composite) begs to differ.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-12-2018, 10:50 AM
TigerAidan TigerAidan is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,924
Default Re: Clemson 4-star DB target commits elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by melamb13 View Post
I wonder if Dabo is re-thinking the early OVs yet???
Yes because kids never decommit or overreact when currently on a visit. Not saying he will decommit or that Clemson can get back in but while Bama has used their OV in June Clemson can try and get him on campus right before commitments become signatures. This is why Dabo tries and talks kids out of committing because he wants them to make sure they know what they are doing and what a commitment means. Thats why Clemson has had the fewest decommits over the last half decade or more.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-12-2018, 11:50 AM
Gvegastiger49's Avatar
Gvegastiger49 Gvegastiger49 is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,925
Default Re: Clemson 4-star DB target commits elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawStudent View Post
Number 4 recruiting class (247 Composite) begs to differ.
This rating is a little inflated based on our numbers of commitments at the moment. We will likely fall a bit so nobody panic!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-12-2018, 01:02 PM
LawStudent LawStudent is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Johns Island
Posts: 1,712
Default Re: Clemson 4-star DB target commits elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvegastiger49 View Post
This rating is a little inflated based on our numbers of commitments at the moment. We will likely fall a bit so nobody panic!!

I don't think it will drop because I think some of these 3* will get bumps to 4* not to mention getting some of 4* or 5* players.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-12-2018, 01:55 PM
melamb13 melamb13 is online now
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
Posts: 8,510
Default Re: Clemson 4-star DB target commits elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerAidan View Post
Yes because kids never decommit or overreact when currently on a visit. Not saying he will decommit or that Clemson can get back in but while Bama has used their OV in June Clemson can try and get him on campus right before commitments become signatures. This is why Dabo tries and talks kids out of committing because he wants them to make sure they know what they are doing and what a commitment means. Thats why Clemson has had the fewest decommits over the last half decade or more.
I understand all of that, just the last 3 (2 OLs and DB) all committed right after OVs. Just an observation, not an indictment. It's rare for Bammer to lose a commit, aTm, not so much. It was merely a thought. Don't give a rat's ass about the class rankings or the guys rankings, but what I've seen, so far, the talent level is not what it has been. But, there is a looong way to go and I trust the coaches...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-12-2018, 01:56 PM
melamb13 melamb13 is online now
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
Posts: 8,510
Default Re: Clemson 4-star DB target commits elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawStudent View Post
I don't think it will drop because I think some of these 3* will get bumps to 4* not to mention getting some of 4* or 5* players.
You think... Lots of assumptions in there.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-12-2018, 02:09 PM
LawStudent LawStudent is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Johns Island
Posts: 1,712
Default Re: Clemson 4-star DB target commits elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by melamb13 View Post
You think... Lots of assumptions in there.

And you're questioning Dabo's philosophy. I think at this point he and the staff has earned a little trust.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-12-2018, 02:16 PM
melamb13 melamb13 is online now
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
Posts: 8,510
Default Re: Clemson 4-star DB target commits elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawStudent View Post
And you're questioning Dabo's philosophy. I think at this point he and the staff has earned a little trust.
He's had my trust a lot longer than your's. I can go dig up bones if you like!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:43 AM
Robert Thorne MacRae's Avatar
Robert Thorne MacRae Robert Thorne MacRae is online now
Publisher, Recruiting Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 94,602
Default Re: Clemson 4-star DB target commits elsewhere

The jury is still out on the early official visit policy Dabo has. Probably a queston I may ask him today. We get to talk this afternoon with Dabo.

We probably won't get a good read until after December, but they have definitely lost some guys at least for now by not playing that game. We will see in the end if it was the right policy. If not Dabo will certainly adjust.

I do think you will see a lot of these guys decommit. I also think you will see some schools mad later in the year that they have burned so many of their official visits. Clemson will still have all of theirs left to use.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:52 AM
melamb13 melamb13 is online now
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
Posts: 8,510
Default Re: Clemson 4-star DB target commits elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
The jury is still out on the early official visit policy Dabo has. Probably a queston I may ask him today. We get to talk this afternoon with Dabo.

We probably won't get a good read until after December, but they have definitely lost some guys at least for now by not playing that game. We will see in the end if it was the right policy. If not Dabo will certainly adjust.

I do think you will see a lot of these guys decommit. I also think you will see some schools mad later in the year that they have burned so many of their official visits. Clemson will still have all of theirs left to use.
That's great Robert. I expect you'll get a song and dance, but it's worth asking. It is a double edged sword with the limits on OVs. I'm not saying it's wrong not to take OVs, but I'm curious as to whether they are evaluating/reconsidering the policy. I'm looking forward to his answer.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Partner with USA TODAY Sports Media Group

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.