Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2018, 04:15 PM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: Most disheartening moment in DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbgray View Post
Georgia Tech when we snapped it over the punters head. 04 I think
This one because I think Whitehurst had a 1st down but slid too early. Megatron might have been the receiver who caught the winning TD?

Similar situation for the Puntrooskie, we had a sure interception go right thru the hands of a LB a couple plays before.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:44 PM
NFL Tiger

Angry Re: Most disheartening moment in DV

Maryland, 2008

We came out in the first half and ran the ball down the twerps throat, averaging something like 6.5 yds per carry. Spiller had a touchdown, as did James Davis. There was NOTHING they could do to stop it. We went into the lockers with a 17-6 lead.

The 2nd half began with three straight incompletions and a punt. We would not score again.

I had been a hold-out until that game, hoping that all the "one or two plays" would finally fall our way. When Rob Spence said in the post-game presser that the offense was changed with the expectation they would change their defense... I was done with the regime. You DO NOT stop doing what is working until the opposition FORCES YOU TO STOP.

Dabo should have been given the reins after that game, not the following week. The loss at Wake? I was still numb and dis-enfranchised from the previous game. We had them by the throat, dusted them off, and handed them a lollipop.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:48 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilandboy20 View Post
Georgia Tech 2000 last second TD.
Kerry F'n Watkins... and Reggie (Achilles's) Herring
Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
This one because I think Whitehurst had a 1st down but slid too early. Megatron might have been the receiver who caught the winning TD?.
Yep, I had to go back and look it up. He was a true freshman but had the game winner with 11 seconds left & 3 total TDs in that game
Old 06-14-2018, 08:47 AM
TCI Staff

Definitely puntrooskie!
Old 06-14-2018, 11:04 AM
The Gambler - Charter Member - Clemson Insider - Gate Veteran

As a boy in the stands who just knew we were going to win, the puntrooskie stands out more than anything else. The Calvin Johnson freshman game was a tough pill to swallow too but it seems like we got lucky against Wake the week before so I was able to rationalize that as a break even event. Luckily, I wasn’t at Death Valley for the Crablegs Winston game.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:18 AM
TCI Staff

Let's not forget the Ga. Tech games of 2001 and 2004. I remember the life being sucked out of the stadium after those two losses.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:04 AM
The Gambler - Charter Member - Clemson Insider - Gate Veteran

The 04 game was the Calvin Johnson freshman game I think
Old 06-17-2018, 12:32 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
FSU punt roosky (?sp) game. That was a hard one to lose

It was, but I have a hard time thinking bad about that day. Because I made an error when requesting days off on the schedule a few weeks before I missed my first Clemson home game in over a decade. I got off work late in the first half and my then girlfriend wanted to do something. I wasn't missing any of the game I could realistically watch so she came over and watched the rest of the game with me despite the fact she didn't like college football (she was from Wisconsin and in the 1980's they didn't really do college football.) Despite this she knew when the punt-rooskie happened it wasn't good and I heard the first curse word she ever issued in my presence and I knew she was a keeper. Next month we'll be married 29 years and despite possessing two degrees from cootville she bleeds orange.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:29 AM
NFL Tiger

Losing to the dirt eaters in 2010 was it for me. That Clemson team just flat out quit.

Coach should pull out a tape of that disaster the week of the game this year along with all of the 5 bomb pictures.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:17 PM
Two Deep

2004 vs.Georgia Tech. I still have nightmares about the ball going over the punter's head.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Scholarship Player

One play I remember was during the 1977 Notre Dame game. I forget the down but the Irish got backed up and had something like 35 yards to go for first down when they threw a screen pass to get the first down. The receiver was hardly touched. It broke the Tigers hearts - and mine. Stinkin Dan Devine...Clemson had them beat !
Old 06-17-2018, 07:50 PM
Tiger Starter

The last second loss at home to Georgia Tech in 2000 was a heartbreaker. We were 8-0 at the time and ranked in the top 5. We thought at the time that it was going to be a special season, and that Bowden was an amazing coach. That loss to GT was just crushing.

Of course, we went to Tallahassee the next week and lost to FSU 54-7, and realized that we weren't as good as we thought we were.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:58 PM
Ring of Honor

That ‘14 FSU game has always eaten at me. We did everything possible to lose that game. Missed chip shot fg’s, center sails the snap over DW head inside the 5 after it was ruled Seckinger was down on replay after being called a td & I think we missed the fg after that, fumble at the end of the game by Choice when we was in game winning fg position. Just mistake after mistake.

I was a youngin but ‘04 but that GT game sucked too. I remember Kyle Browning & Merriweather had big td runs but we blew it at the end & Calvin Johnson finished us off after the punt screw up. But we shut Johnson down our next 2 meetings with them, he was catchless in ‘06.