Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2018, 04:22 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default Very disappointed in hiring of Tim Bourret replacement

We have known for a bit but can now talk more publically about it but Clemson is looking to go outside of the Clemson family for the replacement for Tim.

I sure wish they had stayed in the family. Clemson continues to go outside for many positions when good candidates are available internally.

When you hire from the outside it is a job. When you hire someone from Clemson they give you that extra passion.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:39 PM
Scholarship Player

Default Re: Very disappointed in hiring of Tim Bourret replacement

By your logic, Tim Bourret would not have been hired because he was a Notre Dame alum. He is considered one of the most beloved representatives to be associated with the Clemson AD.

You donít have to be born and bred into Clemson tradition to be passionate about it. Hell, look no further than our head football coach.

If there is one thing I do know, we are on a pretty good run lately on hiring quality candidates for our athletic programs. Iím going to go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt that this new person is highly qualified and will do a great job representing our university.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:02 PM
Ring of Honor

Whoever the best and most qualified for the job is who I want hired. Whoever it is will have some mighty big shoes to fill.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodTiger View Post
By your logic, Tim Bourret would not have been hired because he was a Notre Dame alum. He is considered one of the most beloved representatives to be associated with the Clemson AD.

You don’t have to be born and bred into Clemson tradition to be passionate about it. Hell, look no further than our head football coach.

If there is one thing I do know, we are on a pretty good run lately on hiring quality candidates for our athletic programs. I’m going to go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt that this new person is highly qualified and will do a great job representing our university.
Tim worked under Bob Bradley for 12 years at Clemson before getting the job.

Last edited by Will Vandervort; 06-14-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:48 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Very disappointed in hiring of Tim Bourret replacement

I donít know new SIDís name but I would prefer to welcome them rather than say they were not the best choice for the job even if that is what I thought.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:03 PM

We will welcome the new person and have a great relationship with them. This isn't just about Tim's replacement. It's a trend that has happened for the last few years. Most of you guys probably don't know the SID's for the different sports and others in the AD, but Clemson has lost a lot of Clemson the last few years. Everyone there knows and others outside of Clemson that have worked at Clemson that they have very little chance of landing any of the new openings because they went to Clemson.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:12 PM
NFL Tiger

Ok, I'll ask...

What Clemson graduate is currently working in a collegiate athletic department, whether in Pickens County or not, that would make a better SID than a nationally qualified and experienced candidate?

To be honest, I rather balked at DRad's hiring after seeing the note he left GT holding. In retrospect, as long as our teams are winning- we can pay for extravagant facilities and new sports.

Not sure that I am wrong yet. Not sure you are right, Rob. Give me a sample of a Clemson homegrown product that would step in and continue the level of service expected of Clemson media... or even one that would barely fall short.

The previous 2 SIDs set a ridiculously high bar. You have the wheel, Robert- where are we going?
Old 06-13-2018, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Parents tell what makes Swinney camp 'different', 'awesome'

I have to be careful what information I share on these issues.

I feel safe sharing this example. Last year Phil left the basketball SID role to take another job at Clemson.

There was one very qualified candidate that applied for the job that had previously worked under Tim in Clemson's sports information department and is currently working at another University's SID office in the Palmetto state.

This candidate had also worked with Phil doing things for the basketball program and still does.

That person was not hired for the job. Instead someone was brought in from App State. The new SID is very nice and we have a very good working relationship. With similar backgrounds why not give the job to the Clemson Tiger.

There are several similar examples.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:19 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Clemson has lost a lot of Clemson the last few years.
Just wait until Clemson is brimming with a student population pushing 30k.

That said, we should hire the best person for the job. I donít care where they are from.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:40 PM
Travel Team

Best is the standard.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson2016 View Post
Just wait until Clemson is brimming with a student population pushing 30k.

That said, we should hire the best person for the job. I donít care where they are from.
Not sure if you saw our recent post on that topic, but the latest is they want to go to 33K
Old 06-13-2018, 09:09 PM
Scholarship Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
We will welcome the new person and have a great relationship with them. This isn't just about Tim's replacement. It's a trend that has happened for the last few years. Most of you guys probably don't know the SID's for the different sports and others in the AD, but Clemson has lost a lot of Clemson the last few years. Everyone there knows and others outside of Clemson that have worked at Clemson that they have very little chance of landing any of the new openings because they went to Clemson.

Robert, again, your being too kind. The athletic department personnell, for the most part , hate working for D Rad. You know this. He has his eyes on a bigger job . dabo loves him because he spends money. You and I both know D Rad is eliminating the family feel at Clemson. It may exist in the football program, but that is about it.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:15 PM
Travel Team

Was Tim Bourret a Clemson Tiger?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:20 PM
Travel Team

Don't misunderstand me...I think it is awesome when Tigers come back to the Clemson family and I agree 100% about the passion people who grew up with Orange in their blood or have some type of connection/pedigree.

I am just playing devil's advocate a little...and of course speaking out of ignorance as you (Robert and TCI team) know much more of the inner workings than I do.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:31 PM
Travel Team

Wow...ummm...laughing at myself because somehow, I missed seeing the other posts in this thread...my apologies...already addressed.

I am sure it's a tough balance because you probably want both...some with Clemson ties so you have folks who get and understand Clemson. But you also need new ideas and different backgrounds to build off of what we have.

Certainly there are behind the scenes details to these things that many of us don't know. (at least me anyway...)
Old 06-13-2018, 09:33 PM

Wish I could share more Pastorjeff. I may at some point.

Those that know me know my passion for Clemson. I don't just throw these things out there for no reason.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:41 PM
Travel Team

I am sure that is the case Robert. Love the site.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:10 PM
Tiger Starter

Clemson is much larger than one position or person. I don't have a problem hiring people from outside the Clemson bubble. In fact, I believe NOT doing that for many decades held Clemson back, as an academic institution as well as athletically.

I don't know anything about the new SID, but I am confident that he already respects Clemson University and our SID position, and is highly qualified for the job.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:02 AM
Alumni

If the Clemson person had the opportunity to go toe-to-toe with the other applicants in the interview/hiring process, and somebody from outside Clemson got the job, I'm OK with that.

What would disappoint me, though, is if he/she didn't get that opportunity.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:04 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodTiger View Post

You don’t have to be born and bred into Clemson tradition to be passionate about it. Hell, look no further than our head football coach.

If there is one thing I do know, we are on a pretty good run lately on hiring quality candidates for our athletic programs. I’m going to go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt that this new person is highly qualified and will do a great job representing our university.
Tim worked under Bob Bradley, a Clemson grad and a legend at Clemson, for 12 years before taking over. Check the Ring of Honor in Memorial Stadium for his example. Tim learned all about Clemson and what makes Clemson special. The new guy is not going to learn under Tim. Tim's last day is June 30.

There was at least one candidate who learned under Tim and worked under Tim for 14 years and learned the new way, too with social media and all that Clemson is doing. They, however, were not a finalist for the job.

Not the same situation. This is like comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited by Will Vandervort; 06-14-2018 at 08:44 AM.