Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2018, 03:43 PM
TCI Staff

Default Swinney comments publicly for first time on Johnson's decision to transfer

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney told the media prior to the start of his high school camp on Wednesday that he spoke with former quarterback Hunter Johnson after he made his decision to transfer to Northwestern earlier this week.

Johnson let Swinney know last month he was going to transfer to another school so he had more of an opportunity for playing time.

"I talked to him the other day. I talked to him and Coach Fitz. I'm really glad it worked out that way," Swinney said. "He told me early on that was probably what he was going to do. I reached out to Fitz and I have a lot of respect for him. He is a friend. It was a tough decision for Hunter.

"I'm not surprised we have a quarterback who decided to transfer. I was just surprised at the time. I really felt like if anything happened, it would probably be after the season. It was what he felt like was best for him and what he needed to do.

"But, he is an unbelievably talented player and he is going to be a pro. He will be a kid that is going to play this game a long time. He is just a guy that I will be connected to forever. We will be friends forever. He is truly one of the best players and one of the best young people that I have ever been around.

"We are going to miss him, but we wish him well. We know he is at a good place where I think he can achieve his objectives and goals. I will pull for him all the way through and I can't wait to watch him be successful."
Old 06-14-2018, 06:12 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default Re: Swinney comments publicly for first time on Johnson's decision to transfer

It will be interesting to look back in three years and see if Clemson made a huge mistake letting him go.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:07 AM
Walk On

Default Re: Swinney comments publicly for first time on Johnson's decision to transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
It will be interesting to look back in three years and see if Clemson made a huge mistake letting him go.
By "letting him go"

Are you implying this was avoidable?

If so how?
Old 06-14-2018, 09:50 AM

Maybe a poor choice of words. Don't read anything into that.

I do think however if they had played Hunter last year against Syracuse when Bryant was hurt that a lot of things could be different now and potentially last year.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:53 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Maybe a poor choice of words. Don't read anything into that.

I do think however if they had played Hunter last year against Syracuse when Bryant was hurt that a lot of things could be different now and potentially last year.
I've wondered the same thing numerous times. Still scratch my head that they left Cooper in when he couldn't move the ball at all.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUFisherman View Post
I've wondered the same thing numerous times. Still scratch my head that they left Cooper in when he couldn't move the ball at all.
I believe if Johnson had played in that game Clemson wins and goes into the CFP undefeated and the QB battle would have heated up some.