Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2017, 07:42 AM
Travel Team

Default Question on Boulware's Recruitment

If memory serves me, Boulware received his offer very late in the cycle after a strong grass roots lobby by Upstate highschool football fans. Is this true? How close did he come to not being offered here?

Looking now back at his offer list, there were plenty of solid choices. Anyone know where he would likely have ended up if not at Clemson?

His accomplishments speak for themselves. Goes to show you what heart and drive are worth.

THANK YOU Ben for coming here and giving us everything you had!!
Old 04-21-2017, 07:55 AM
Two Deep

Default Re: Question on Boulware's Recruitment

I've always heard he was offered late because when Venables got here, he had to look at the tape on him and see if he was worth a scholarship. I've never heard the "grass-roots campaign" theory
Old 04-21-2017, 07:59 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

one of my favorites at Clemson. Loved his fire and he was always very open about everything. Great leader. Will be a great coach. He was offered later. Well worth it.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:45 AM
TCI Staff

That's right, he wasn't offered by Clemson until March 2012 (during his junior year after the season). He wasn't recruited by Clemson when Steele was the DC, but Venables made him a target after taking over. Venables has said that he instantly liked Boulware after watching his film for the first time.

Both Venables and Boulware have told funny stories about how Ben was sort of irritated and annoyed when they first told him they were going to offer. Ben's reaction was like, "What took y'all so long?'

Boulware has said he was thinking about Georgia until Clemson offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRock View Post
If memory serves me, Boulware received his offer very late in the cycle after a strong grass roots lobby by Upstate highschool football fans. Is this true? How close did he come to not being offered here?

Looking now back at his offer list, there were plenty of solid choices. Anyone know where he would likely have ended up if not at Clemson?

His accomplishments speak for themselves. Goes to show you what heart and drive are worth.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Travel Team

Glad it worked out the way it did! Thanks for the info.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:27 AM
Scholarship Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRock View Post

Was not "very late"

Before SR year is not late in recruiting. Longer than it should have took? Sure
Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Tiger Starter

I remember the "intellectual" dumbass who used to post on here that Boulware was not a D-1 football player and should not be offered a scholarship to Clemson. He needs to tell Ben that to his face.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Tiger Starter

I saw his high school film and immediately thought the potential was there to become the next Zach Thomas, at least at the college level. Can't imagine any need to "pander for him". It's not like he was an off-the-map 2 star recruit. He was ranked as high as the #3 ILB (#74 overall) by ESPN and had a great showing at the Under Armour All American game. My opinion at the time was the only thing preventing him from being rated the #1 ILB was his size.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeroid View Post
I remember the "intellectual" dumbass who used to post on here that Boulware was not a D-1 football player and should not be offered a scholarship to Clemson. He needs to tell Ben that to his face.
I can't remember the posters name but I remember getting into it regularly with someone over Boulware. I even remember them getting into it with Robert I think when he said BV had Ben at the top of his LB list when he got here.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:24 AM
Ring of Honor

We can thank CBV for the pleasure of watching Mr. Boulware for the past 4 years.

I remember after the Under Armour game, Herm Edwards was asked who impressed him (or some question like that), and he said keep your eye on Ben Boulware, that kid is a "Football Player" right there!

Herm was right!
Thanks Ben!
Old 04-22-2017, 09:17 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by melamb13 View Post
We can thank CBV for the pleasure of watching Mr. Boulware for the past 4 years.

I remember after the Under Armour game, Herm Edwards was asked who impressed him (or some question like that), and he said keep your eye on Ben Boulware, that kid is a "Football Player" right there!

Herm was right!
Thanks Ben!

Those comments Coach Herm made about him went through my head the other day. If I remember right one of the things he said was, " I like the kid Boulware, he's a little twisted upstairs but in a good way". I can't remember if that quote is exactly right but it was along those lines.

Thinking back that's a pretty way to describe ole Ben.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:14 AM
Travel Team

This thread said the Steele word.
Clemson class of '92