Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2018, 11:02 AM
TCI Staff

Default The good, bad, ugly as #Clemson continues to grow

article
Old 05-15-2018, 11:07 AM
TCI Staff

Default Re: The good, bad, ugly as #Clemson continues to grow

The university needs to stop growing. There are too many people for too little parking spaces. More people brings a need for more housing. We already have too much housing and too much construction, Clemson is no where near the same as it was only five years ago.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:35 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Clancy View Post
The university needs to stop growing. There are too many people for too little parking spaces. More people brings a need for more housing. We already have too much housing and too much construction, Clemson is no where near the same as it was only five years ago.
That says a lot coming from a student.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:03 PM
Way2tall

I don't understand why the administration feels the need to double the size of the student body at Clemson. I want us to be the BEST but history I see replete with examples of growth killing something special. Academically do I want to be the best? Absolutely. Athletically? No question. But part of what makes Clemson special is the family feel that it has. The green grass under the tailgate experience. What are we chasing this kind of growth for? I don't think we need it and it may cost us something we regret losing.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:31 PM
Tiger Starter

I totally agree that it is best to keep CU not as big. But can we sustain our current success over a long period of time? And i am talking about after Dabo. It's super rare that we can be this consistently good while going up against the huge schools like Bama, OSU, UGA, etc. We need money to continue. Yes, do not kill what we have but how to sustain it in our ever-changing money driven world that we live in.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:34 PM
Two Deep

I am not, and have not been for a lot of years, in favor of the growth I see on and around campus and in town.

I know you've got to grow and keep developing but what I have seen looks out of control, and whoever is in charge is not looking at what the campus will be long term. It is just about like a campus in a city that has given up most of it's green spaces.

Everywhere you look it seems a Winkopp building has popped up around town too. I expect to see an eleven story luxury condo complex pop up on College Ave where Knickerbockers has been.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:31 PM
Tiger Starter

I don't understand why Clemson's leaders feel the need to grow. What was wrong with staying at 17,000 students? Clemson is very special, and I want it to be exclusive and different, not run-of-the-mill State U.

I'm sure they want to capitalize on Clemson's popularity in terms of student applications, athletics, etc., but I feel that such aggressive growth lacks a lot of foresight. And it WILL change the look and feel of Clemson for generations to come, and I'm not so sure that the change is a positive one.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:22 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: The good, bad, ugly as #Clemson continues to grow

Do any of you guys know how ridiculous it sounds to suggest Clemson should stop growing? The State of SC provides only 10% of the budget for Clemson's budget. So, increased enrollment is the only way to pay the bills without raising tuition and fees at an alarming rate.

The State of SC has higher tuition than GA or NC, our neighbors. SC is also growing. All of those people need a place to go to college. The State of SC is now larger than Alabama. That State has two large public universities. I have fond memories of tailgating with my parents in the 1970s, but those days are long gone. Clemson needs to grow as the State grows because it is the only way to pay the bills unless the state legislature increases funding for higher education.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:18 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
Do any of you guys know how ridiculous it sounds to suggest Clemson should stop growing? The State of SC provides only 10% of the budget for Clemson's budget. So, increased enrollment is the only way to pay the bills without raising tuition and fees at an alarming rate.

The State of SC has higher tuition than GA or NC, our neighbors. SC is also growing. All of those people need a place to go to college. The State of SC is now larger than Alabama. That State has two large public universities. I have fond memories of tailgating with my parents in the 1970s, but those days are long gone. Clemson needs to grow as the State grows because it is the only way to pay the bills unless the state legislature increases funding for higher education.
I would be absolutely behind Clemson growing at the rate of the state population That isn't even close to happening. Tuition and fees have been increasing as well much above the rate of inflation. The issue of state funding is a good point as that has been reducing over the last 30 years.

We can argue over whether 30,000 students is the only way to pay for things. It's not.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:12 AM
Two Deep

Auburn is up over 26k now I believe and trust me when I say going to their campus is nothing like it used to be.

Parking garages.

Park a mile from campus and walk to the game there is zero parking for football on campus even for big donors.

All tailgates are now commercial deals with some company who sets up a tent for you with a tv and gives you a tent number.

Texas does this now too, same company I believe.

It takes a lot out of the experience.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:44 AM
Tiger Starter

I have no problem with the growth in theory, but it is the execution I am concerned about. Clemson's footprint is not set up for continued growth. The university needs to be innovative to continue the growth without hurting the feel of campus. We never want it to look or feel like an urban campus for students or tailgating. Keeping grass, trees, and open areas while handling parking, traffic patters, and hosing is very difficult. Also as others have mentioned the types of commercial builds should be regulated to ensure a hometown feel instead of the flashy condominiums you see in urban areas.

To another persons point. My last visit to Auburn felt nothing like "Clemson without a lake". The downtown area felt like a small city and traffic now keeps you out of eye-site of most of the campus from a vehicle. Clemson should take notes and do not let the drive to grow quickly hurt your ability to do it in a smart way.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Tiger Starter

The University of Virginia's enrollment is 22,391. This includes 15,891 undergraduates and 6,500 postgraduates. Does anyone know if UVA plans to grow to 30,000+ students over the next 5-10 years?

They are a public school, in a college town, with a great academic reputation, with a robust athletic department. They are located in a state much larger than SC, but they don't seem to be itching to grow as quickly as possible.

Clemson needs to continue to be exceptional, and it is hard to do that when increasing enrollment by thousands of students. Leave it to other public schools to be accessible to most in-state residents.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:02 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Keller View Post
The University of Virginia's enrollment is 22,391. This includes 15,891 undergraduates and 6,500 postgraduates. Does anyone know if UVA plans to grow to 30,000+ students over the next 5-10 years?

They are a public school, in a college town, with a great academic reputation, with a robust athletic department. They are located in a state much larger than SC, but they don't seem to be itching to grow as quickly as possible.

Clemson needs to continue to be exceptional, and it is hard to do that when increasing enrollment by thousands of students. Leave it to other public schools to be accessible to most in-state residents.
This is how I feel about it.

CU should not be more than 24k total student population.

I've been to Auburn and Texas for football games, and other reasons. When Clemson gets to the point where I have to park at Y beach or the Armory and catch a shuttle over to some corporate tent setup, I'm out.

But it's not just the football Saturdays. I go up all the time, play golf, get on the lake, see friends of mine who live there. The town and campus is changing and I'm not sure it's better.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by URR29 View Post
This is how I feel about it.

CU should not be more than 24k total student population.

I've been to Auburn and Texas for football games, and other reasons. When Clemson gets to the point where I have to park at Y beach or the Armory and catch a shuttle over to some corporate tent setup, I'm out.

But it's not just the football Saturdays. I go up all the time, play golf, get on the lake, see friends of mine who live there. The town and campus is changing and I'm not sure it's better.
So, Clemson should focus on athletics rather than academics? Don't grow because it will screw up football parking?
Old 05-16-2018, 04:08 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Vandervort View Post
Not really. I've taught at eight universities. Students always complain about parking. They seldom have insight into how much it costs to operate a university.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:55 PM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Vandervort View Post
And it is not just me, there are a lot of students that will say the same exact thing.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:55 PM
Scholarship Player

This is fun reading.
I hope all see my addition as fun.

Clemson has always been growing and will.
More is not better or worse. What changes will that bring to us all whether resident, student, alum, or fan?

--Some local residents already are claiming racism as their land becomes so valuable they are forced to take the $$ and move. No one forces them to, but they take the $$ and still complain. My lot is available and I will not complain.

--Students are students and while they believe they know it all, are just late blooming teens who have not entered the real World like some of their peers now working to eat. Their view is less. Most are just temps and will not settle here.

--Alum have history and maybe more as to?? To them is fear of change. That too is bogus. Traditions and all that crap change all the time. When I arrived Clemson was all male. All had their head shaved and were given an M-1. That is tradition as this is an A&M college.

--Fans should have a say. Clemson is a wonderful place to latch on to. I don't see that aspect that changing soon. The culture on campus is now shaky, but not as much as say "Evergreen" or "Harvard".

Clemson has been growing since day one. Speak up often to keep the things you like, and to keep out the things that will make Clemson like all the others places.

We are blessed!