Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default Clemson vs Miami ACC Championship

Man, Miami looks good. How do you feel about this game now?
Old 11-11-2017, 09:57 PM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: Clemson vs Miami ACC Championship

Our health on defense is key. Their offense is nothing special. KB will have to take care of the ball...not sure about our offense in this match-up.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:05 PM
Ring of Honor

Like in the earlier thread I'm holding my opinion until this game is over. So far the Miami that is taking ND to the woodshed is a team that could easily beat us.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:08 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Clemson vs Miami ACC Championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerNE View Post
Like in the earlier thread I'm holding my opinion until this game is over. So far the Miami that is taking ND to the woodshed is a team that could easily beat us.
I'm watching a few teams today that could beat us with our injuries on defense and pretty pitiful passing attack.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:26 PM
Ring of Honor

Well beat em
Old 11-11-2017, 10:27 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
I'm watching a few teams today that could beat us with our injuries on defense and pretty pitiful passing attack.
I've thought Mayfield is the last guy we want to face ever since they beat OSU. The OkSt game and today confirm it. If we aren't 100% healthy in our secondary we get torched. Only good news is I think we could run all over them. Maybe not pass all over them. But run.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:30 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
I've thought Mayfield is the last guy we want to face ever since they beat OSU. The OkSt game and today confirm it. If we aren't 100% healthy in our secondary we get torched. Only good news is I think we could run all over them. Maybe not pass all over them. But run.
Right about now I doubt we could pass all over a high school team.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:42 AM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

That's the best I have seen them look all year. If that is them coming together and peaking...dang
Old 11-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Tiger Starter

Good thing we don't have to pass it all over the field to win. Were not talking about right now and if Clemson makes it the Playoff they will have almost a month off to get healthy. Next week is big to get healthy. Bryant isn't on his game but he has done it numerous times this year. If he hadn't done it before I could understand questioning him but he has. You have to protect the ball against Miami. While their defense has played well they have beat teams the way they have because those teams have turned the ball over 4 times a game. ND kept turning the ball over and Miami turned those turnovers into points making ND a passing team which they are not. Every week is different. Miami was barely beating bad teams and now they are dominating ranked teams so trying to predict what is going to happen off of prior games makes no sense. You know how many people picked against the Canes thinking they knew who Miami was. Thats why every week is different and just because you played this way last week means nothing to the upcoming week. There are so many things that go into a game on both sides big and small that make trying to figure it out is asinine thats why the name of the game is just win. Just win because you are not going to play a perfect game and sometimes you may play down right awful. We can play the what if game all day long and what if they do this or if they do that. Yes when Oklahoma beat Ohio State wasn't a soul alive that said they were going to lose to Iowa State but thats the way college football is and sitting here thinking you know something because Kelly Bryant is struggling could make you look like an ass if he comes out the next week and throws for 300 yards. Just win thats all that matters.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:01 AM
Ring of Honor

Miami does not have a good offense...period. Unless we turn it over a bunch we'll win that game. They are killing people off turnovers. The QB will put the ball in jeopardy and their best player, Walton, is out for the year.

They haven't played anything remotely close to us and it'll show on the field. The only reservation I have is if the defense is healthy. If they are, we win...i don't have any doubts about that scenario.

Don't care about Oklahoma yet.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:29 AM
Tiger Starter

For all the talk about KB struggling, he has thrown 5 interceptions (fairly certain). Watson threw 17 last season. He is protecting the ball reasonably well. He had a couple fumbles, one of which I think was on the OL or playcalling as the FSU defender was in the backfield at the mesh point.

This is a run first team. That is what he is good at. He still isn't getting help from Cain. He dropped a sure TD and had another that hit his hands. All of sudden KB would have thrown for over 200 yards with no interceptions and completed around 70% of his passes.

KB's struggles are missing a throw here and there and receivers not helping him out.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:48 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawStudent View Post
For all the talk about KB struggling, he has thrown 5 interceptions (fairly certain). Watson threw 17 last season. He is protecting the ball reasonably well. He had a couple fumbles, one of which I think was on the OL or playcalling as the FSU defender was in the backfield at the mesh point.

This is a run first team. That is what he is good at. He still isn't getting help from Cain. He dropped a sure TD and had another that hit his hands. All of sudden KB would have thrown for over 200 yards with no interceptions and completed around 70% of his passes.

KB's struggles are missing a throw here and there and receivers not helping him out.
I was talking about that last night with someone. One big benefit has been Kelly not turning the ball over.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:11 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:

some very good points LS
Old 11-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:

I'm not sure I've seen a lot of discussion that is different from that. Everyone knows we are a run first team. Including defensive coordinators. Take that away, and the opponent knows they have a good chance, especially if they have athletic secondaries. I don't have the stats handy, but seems to me the Cuse loss was more of a defensive breakdown but the Orange still managed to hold us to about 100 yards on the ground and something like a 15/5 ratio of 1st downs to punts (my memory). We had to kick the ball back too much.

I don't understand the critics who want to bench KB. I don't see how Johnson would be better at all at game management. But what frustrates me is that Kelly is almost no better down the stretch as a passer than he was when he hardly got snaps last year. It's not like that was the case in the early part of this year. He seems to have regressed. Like everybody else I am frustrated KNOWING there are 2 really good passers....well 3 if you include Israel....just sitting. Unlike others I'm not saying they need to be starters. But they aren't even given much of a chance to get ready either. Had we put the Noles away early like we had a chance, say 28-0, then I was hoping to see one or both backups getting some snaps against a really good defense.

SCar isn't great against the pass. But expect Muschamp to do everything he can to take THE most critical offensive dimension we have away. That is another game that could be a nail bitter like FSU. Or NCSU. Or Cuse. Miami's defense could be brutal in the ACCCG if we are still one dimensional. Never mind some of the defenses we might meet in the playoffs if we get there.

Streeter needs to earn his pay. That's my point.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Streeter needs to earn his pay. That's my point.
I understand this, but is Clemson not 9-0 in the games that KB starts and finishes? What more do you want from him? If KB starts and finishes every game from here on out and stays undefeated, we will be back-to-back champs. It doesn't have to be pretty all of the time. That's his style of play. Was DW4 more polished and the better player? A resounding yes. You don't need a DW4 to win a title, though.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Travel Team

Quote:

Great post! Couldn't agree more, everybody blaming KB but our receivers are simply not as good as last years. Cain dropping a sure td, heck even Renfrow had a drop on a beautifully thrown ball down the middle of the field. No KB is not a great passer but he is good enough to win. We really miss Williams.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:05 PM
Travel Team

My biggest complaint are the 5 yard throws to the sideline that should be layups. He's missing those throws by 3-4 yards. He had a few balls last night in that range that were way over the receivers head.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
I understand this, but is Clemson not 9-0 in the games that KB starts and finishes? What more do you want from him? If KB starts and finishes every game from here on out and stays undefeated, we will be back-to-back champs. It doesn't have to be pretty all of the time. That's his style of play. Was DW4 more polished and the better player? A resounding yes. You don't need a DW4 to win a title, though.
Is the point that if you win criticism of your performance is no longer valid? My frustration that drives my criticism is that I don't have the same confidence you may that KB "starts and finishes every game from here on out and stays undefeated." His play is good enough to score 20, 24, 28 points even against good defenses. What happens when that isn't enough? If we play Mayfield, he'll get his points. Maybe not 50 against our D but perhaps 30. Too often we don't get points on drives because of our own mistakes. Just fix that and it won't matter that KB isn't a DW or LJ or whoever.

The upside to me is our offense is good at reacting when they are trying to avoid a hot fire nipping at their butts in order to go ahead of the opponent. We test that a lot.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Tiger Starter

My concern is that KB is erratic. He's just not off on a few throws, he's all over the place and it costs us points. It also costs us valuable position in the eyes of the playoff committee. It also puts the defense in bad spots bc too many drives stall. Turnovers aren't a concern just yet, but he sailed a few throws that could have been intercepted if a DB was in the right position.

Our WRs aren't helping out, but a passing game isn't just a WR or just a QB. They have to work together. A WR can't drop balls, but they are much more likely to catch balls when they get catchable passes consistently. Their job gets a lot harder when they have no idea where the ball might be when they turn back for it.

KB looks like he did last year and thats not good. It hasn't cost us a game yet, but it will. I was thinking last night that if KB had that performance in the first 2 games would he still be the starter now? If he started the year sailing receivers and fumbling the ball would he be the guy or would we be seeing Cooper or Johnson getting a lot more snaps? He looked bad last night and IMO he's lucky he didn't start the year like this. If he doesn't sharpen up, we will get beat by Miami. And it might not be that close.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Travel Team

I agree with most of whatís be said. KB has been throwing high even when we get the catch, thereís no chance for yards after the catch and the the sideline out routes sail 4 ft over the receiver. Iíll take what we have in KB as it may not be correctable.

What no one is saying is why are we continually calling bubble screens that are always good for a 4 Yard loss. That is something that can be fixed. Seems to me a screen to the back with linemen in front would be much better. The bubble reminds me of the post Watkins days where we had just as much success. Give up...they donít work already. We seem to be the only team that runs a bubble screen where we are always outnumbered at the point of attack. My quick rant.