Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2017, 08:47 AM
Tiger Starter

Default Passing vs Rushing TDs

Did you ever think you'd see a Clemson offense under this staff have GT levels of Passing vs Rushing TDs? I know I didn't.

Clemson
Passing - 9 : Rushing - 31

GT
Passing - 8 : Rushing - 29

It's been a very weird year on offense.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:54 AM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: Passing vs Rushing TDs

No and that's too bad. All those weapons we cant use because we cant pass downfield. GT doesn't even have the weapons. WRU gonna take a hit this year.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Travel Team

Kelly B might be playing running back next year. Remember we have Trevor Lawrence coming in he has just broken most of Deshaun's records. All is not loss for WRU.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

This is definitely a huge concern. Need to make better use of the talent at WR or you won't continue to be WRU for long
Old 11-14-2017, 09:29 AM
Ring of Honor

We have to throw better down the stretch. Next year will be a different issue, but we have to be successful in the throw game in order to keep attracting the recruits.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:44 AM
Tiger Starter

I agree. I am certainly happy with our record and KB has not lost us any games but we really need for our QB to not make us show a sigh of relief when he completes a catch. Yes QBs can run the ball but so can RBs. We need someone who can run and pass decently. What's holding up ZC and HJ?
Old 11-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Scholarship Player

I think this shows how flexible the coaching staff is in going with whatever is most effective with the personnel they have. I'm confident if Lawrence is what we are all expecting in the next few years those numbers will flip again quickly!

We need Higgins or one of the other Freshman/Sophomore guys to start to break out here at the end of the year, to offset these numbers a bit also. I think at this point we know what we have with the juniors... really good possession receivers but inconsistent big-play makers.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUAg98 View Post
I think this shows how flexible the coaching staff is in going with whatever is most effective with the personnel they have. I'm confident if Lawrence is what we are all expecting in the next few years those numbers will flip again quickly!

We need Higgins or one of the other Freshman/Sophomore guys to start to break out here at the end of the year, to offset these numbers a bit also. I think at this point we know what we have with the juniors... really good possession receivers but inconsistent big-play makers.

I agree. It shows our ability to play to our personnelís strengths, instead of trying to force them to do things a different way. I couldnít care less what the numbers look like, that 9-1 and division champs right now speaks for itself.

And I think recruits know that. In a year or two thatís going to flip right back around with Lawrence.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Ring of Honor

This has been a point made here in many different ways and by media. David Hale has sliced and diced the stats almost weekly showing how KB doesn't throw much and how we score. By running. And overall we score less than last year. Etc.

Call it what you want. Run first. KB is a running back. Etc. But the numbers are there. Still miffed why pointing this out earns the label hater or hammering or whatever. After the SCar game we will see some defenses that can take advantage of it.

Not to mention what Robert suggests could be a longer term impact of future elite WR recruits.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Tiger Starter

A few years ago fans were up in arms because we could not score in the red zone by running the football. Things move in circles
Old 11-14-2017, 04:19 PM
Tiger Starter

I'm hopeful this is an aberration not because I'm against playing to your strengths, but because I don't want passing to be a weakness. I think this does show how well our staff and this program can adjust and be successful. Hopefully next year we will get back to more of a balanced attack. This year though we are on the run-it-in train and nobody really knows how far this train will take us.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:26 PM
Tiger Starter

One other thing to consider, running the ball takes more time off the clock than throwing the ball. This means both teams gets a lower number of possessions which typically means less scoring so using PPG as a measure of dominance is misleading