Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2018, 12:56 PM
Scholarship Player

Default Can a recruiting guru help me here?

I'll admit, I pay way to much attention to recruiting and have a pretty good grasp of most of the rules, dead periods, etc... In any event, I know that last recruiting class, Clemson basically had Quindarious Monday locked up. He goes to Auburn and meets with Cam Newton. Cam Newton promises him a spot on his 7v7 team and also uses his relationship with Under Armour to get Monday into the UA All American Game. For Clemson, it was game over...

Now, i see this..

https://usatodayhss.com/2017/cam-new...h-school-coach

In sum, it is Cam Newton coaching his 7v7 team, which includes a current Auburn commit George Pickens. I know, generally, you cant have improper contact with former players without a pre-existing relationship. Sure the coaches can just happen to have a former player call into the office at a coincidental time when a recruit might be there, but I thought personal contact was a big no-no.

Just last year, Micah Parsons (5 star DE) decommited from Penn St and was trending towards TOSU. Parsons met with Herbstreit and Eddie George on the set of GameDay and TOSU had to quit recruiting him.

So, can a more knowledgeable "recuitnick" explain to me how Cam Newton gets to coach current Auburn commits (unsigned) on this 7v7 team? This seems like a huge recruiting advantage the rules are meant to prevent.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:12 PM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: Can a recruiting guru help me here?

I donít know enough about these rules but it does seem like a big advantage.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:29 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Many of these rules are very grey unfortunately. You are correct that former players are not supposed to have contact with recruits when they are not on campus from my understanding. I can tell you that unfortunately this happens frequently. I have even seen former players for schools contacting recruits on social media.

The NCAA's enforcement has been a joke. Schools that break the rules on a regular bases get by with it with no punishment. There aree so many things I wish I could share but can't really do that in a public forum.

I hope that helps.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:56 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Many of these rules are very grey unfortunately. You are correct that former players are not supposed to have contact with recruits when they are not on campus from my understanding. I can tell you that unfortunately this happens frequently. I have even seen former players for schools contacting recruits on social media.

The NCAA's enforcement has been a joke. Schools that break the rules on a regular bases get by with it with no punishment. There aree so many things I wish I could share but can't really do that in a public forum.

I hope that helps.
I get what you're saying, but maybe these things need to be brought to light?

On an added note, I would like to see the NCAA use some of their vast funds to increase their enforcement division.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:38 PM
Travel Team

It is simple, Scam Newton is exempt from all NCAA rules!!!
Old 07-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Travel Team

Wow! I did not know this was happening. Hopefully, someone will call them out for this. Also, these 7-on-7 leagues are getting a lot like AAU basketball and that is starting to worry me a little. I don't want what happened in basketball with the FBI and all of that happen to college football. We need to end this kind of crap like now.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:08 PM
TCI Staff

Wait, the NCAA has rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB88 View Post
It is simple, Scam Newton is exempt from all NCAA rules!!!
Old 07-12-2018, 05:39 PM
Tiger Starter

Of course they have rules, but they often clash with SEC rules and SEC rules trumps all other rules.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:08 AM
Travel Team

They only need rules that they will enforce. Without enforcement there is not need to have the rules.