Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2018, 06:49 AM
TCI Staff

Default Does it make you mad

that all the pundits are picking New Mexico State to beat Clemson in the NCAA Tournament?
Old 03-14-2018, 07:50 AM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Default Re: Does it make you mad

Yes.

Everyone going off the theory that 5-12 are where the upsets lie. Not really sure why all of them honed in on our game as the upset one.

I haven't heard or read a good analysis to back it up.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:58 AM
Travel Team

No not really...its a free country. They have a right to be wrong. This is a sweet 16 team at the worst.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:05 AM
Tiger Starter

We know that pundits often say things simply to drive ratings/clicks so I anyways take it with a grain of salt
Old 03-14-2018, 08:11 AM
Scholarship Player

Not mad. I am a little surprised that so many people are picking this particular upset, but most of these people are simply trying to get attention picking upsets. I've seen some that have picked every 12 seed to upset the 5 seed. I suspect most of these people have not watched a single game that NMSU has played, and at most have seen parts of 1-2 Clemson games.

Looking at their record/scores it appears NMSU has handled most of their opponents fairly easily this year. Of course, I would certainly expect Clemson to have an even better record had they played that same schedule. Upsets can happen in any basketball game - and if Clemson can't hit shots and turns the ball over a lot NMSU could get the win. I don't expect that to happen though!
Old 03-14-2018, 08:18 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Vandervort View Post
that all the pundits are picking New Mexico State to beat Clemson in the NCAA Tournament?
Not really. New Mexico St is one of the better rebounding teams in the country and they play very well defensively so this will be an interesting matchup for Brownell to plan for. Tournament time is all about rebounding and guard play so it's time to take it to the next level and show what this team is really capable of
Old 03-14-2018, 08:55 AM
NFL Tiger

No, its part of March madness. If the Tigers are better they will win. If not then a pretty good season and can they do it again as consistency is the key.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:30 AM
Tiger Starter

Why would I be mad? Should I be surprised that the national guys don't think we will do very well? This is Clemson basketball. We have a reputation.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:09 PM
Tiger Starter

I will be mad if they lose the game. Don't care who people pick. I just think all the momentum will have been for not if Clemson can't get past the 1st game. If people really want this program to be successful and are really behind Brownell then tangible evidence in at the very least the form of a 1st round win is needed in my mind. Take the Gamecocks as an example. They lost all the momentum of the Final Four last year by being 1 game over .500 and not even getting a NIT bid. Now its easier to sell the fact that the Gamecocks were a one hit wonder or a lucky year that not going to the NCAA is who they are. My opinion is Clemson needs this game bad. I know some will disagree and point to this being Clemson basketball which is my point exactly. If you don't want a loss to just be Clemson basketball then having some success in the tourney is very much needed. Everything starts from somewhere so why not this being the start of a turn around for Clemson basketball. I know I haven't been on the Brownell train but if he can show this program moving forward with some success then I can start to turn my thinking around. Like I have said though, 2019 is a good year for a few top 100-150 guys in-state and I think we need to be able to bring in at least a couple of them. I think Clemson leads for a couple of them and having some success in the tourney this year, I think, would only magnify Brownell's message to those guys that this program has turned a corner.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:32 PM
Two Deep

Itís ok. I just hope Dabo will be there to fire them up as the supposed underdogs!
Old 03-14-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerAidan View Post
I will be mad if they lose the game. Don't care who people pick. I just think all the momentum will have been for not if Clemson can't get past the 1st game. If people really want this program to be successful and are really behind Brownell then tangible evidence in at the very least the form of a 1st round win is needed in my mind. Take the Gamecocks as an example. They lost all the momentum of the Final Four last year by being 1 game over .500 and not even getting a NIT bid. Now its easier to sell the fact that the Gamecocks were a one hit wonder or a lucky year that not going to the NCAA is who they are. My opinion is Clemson needs this game bad. I know some will disagree and point to this being Clemson basketball which is my point exactly. If you don't want a loss to just be Clemson basketball then having some success in the tourney is very much needed. Everything starts from somewhere so why not this being the start of a turn around for Clemson basketball. I know I haven't been on the Brownell train but if he can show this program moving forward with some success then I can start to turn my thinking around. Like I have said though, 2019 is a good year for a few top 100-150 guys in-state and I think we need to be able to bring in at least a couple of them. I think Clemson leads for a couple of them and having some success in the tourney this year, I think, would only magnify Brownell's message to those guys that this program has turned a corner.
I dig this post! I don't want to be the program we were under OP, out the 1st day. I appreciate he got us there and that was fun, but look at the state he left us in.

I want the program to build and let's admit it, ONE win would be HUGE! We will hope for more and they are capable, even without Donte. The state and scrutiny college bball is under right now, I promise you should be thankful that Brad is our Coach.

GO TIGERS
Old 03-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Two Deep

This game is a prime NCAA upset stage. It just is what it is. Iím pulling for the overs, but if I had no dog in the fight and was filling a bracket Iíd be real tempted to pick the 12 seed.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos View Post
This game is a prime NCAA upset stage. It just is what it is. Iím pulling for the overs, but if I had no dog in the fight and was filling a bracket Iíd be real tempted to pick the 12 seed.

Despite the fact i picked Duke to go far in 2 of my brackets, I am hoping for a TRUE prime upset at the 2-15 spot again
Old 03-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubarb1991 View Post
Despite the fact i picked Duke to go far in 2 of my brackets, I am hoping for a TRUE prime upset at the 2-15 spot again
Well, donít we all!
Old 03-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Travel Team

No because Clemson does not have the most stellar record in first round NCAA Tournament games. Couple that with going West to play the game and the odds are stacked against them. Iím trusting that the will of this team and its desire to do something great will overcome the odds. Iíd like to see this team gain some confidence by winning a couple of games and then see them maintain the momentum next season and not take a step backwards.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:07 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsson View Post
We know that pundits often say things simply to drive ratings/clicks so I anyways take it with a grain of salt
There are several good points being made but here is your answer. When in doubt follow the money. Letís face it. Due to location, the teams involved, and the time the game is being played; our game will be one of the least viewed games of the tournament. How do you drum up the ratings in a basketball game; you not only predict an upset but make it your upset lock. Barkley started it on selection Sunday with how impressed he was with NMSUís play against Grand Canyon and it seems everyone else just jumped on board. Games arenít played on paper but Clemson has significant advantages in all but one category and that is rebounding. It will be interesting to see if this holds up with our significant height advantage and depth.

Also by looking at one of the most consistent upset models (LUC) over the past few years, our game is not even one of the top 10 most likely upsets.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggershark View Post
There are several good points being made but here is your answer. When in doubt follow the money. Letís face it. Due to location, the teams involved, and the time the game is being played; our game will be one of the least viewed games of the tournament. How do you drum up the ratings in a basketball game; you not only predict an upset but make it your upset lock. Barkley started it on selection Sunday with how impressed he was with NMSUís play against Grand Canyon and it seems everyone else just jumped on board. Games arenít played on paper but Clemson has significant advantages in all but one category and that is rebounding. It will be interesting to see if this holds up with our significant height advantage and depth.

Also by looking at one of the most consistent upset models (LUC) over the past few years, our game is not even one of the top 10 most likely upsets.
What does the LUC say on Kentucky Davidson? That's my 5-12 upset. GO Davidson
Old 03-15-2018, 07:42 AM
Travel Team

Not top 10 but it has Murray State over West Virginia at 64.8%