Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Travel Team

Default Could Bama and UGA struggle this week?

I expect both Bama and Georgia to win this weekend but their games could be tricky for different reasons.

Auburn has been improving and they’re certainly talented enough to beat Georgia. Georgia has shown a tendancy the season to play down to the opponent in non-marquee games and this game is getting less hype because they have already clinched the east and because Auburn is down this year. But for Auburn and their coaching staff this would be a huge win.

For Bama it’s all about Tua and how healthy he is. It might even make sense for them to rest him this week because it doesn’t matter if they lose. Mississippi state has the potential on offense to do more than LSU did because Mississippi State has a running quarterback and operates out of the spread. MSU’s d-line also has enough talent to disrupt Tua and irritate his injury. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not predicting a Mississippi State victory but I do think this is a tricky game for Bama in regards to Tua’s health and long-term prospects.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: Could Bama and UGA struggle this week?

UGA loses
Old 11-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxtiger View Post
I expect both Bama and Georgia to win this weekend but their games could be tricky for different reasons.

Auburn has been improving and they’re certainly talented enough to beat Georgia. Georgia has shown a tendancy the season to play down to the opponent in non-marquee games and this game is getting less hype because they have already clinched the east and because Auburn is down this year. But for Auburn and their coaching staff this would be a huge win.

For Bama it’s all about Tua and how healthy he is. It might even make sense for them to rest him this week because it doesn’t matter if they lose. Mississippi state has the potential on offense to do more than LSU did because Mississippi State has a running quarterback and operates out of the spread. MSU’s d-line also has enough talent to disrupt Tua and irritate his injury. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not predicting a Mississippi State victory but I do think this is a tricky game for Bama in regards to Tua’s health and long-term prospects.
Dont think you can rest Tua as it looked like Jalen couldnt even walk last weekend. Surgery? I didnt catch the reason or how long he was going to hobble around.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:43 PM
Ring of Honor

UGay could go down, they are riding high and looking ahead. I think bammer could play the waterboy at QB and beat MSU. It would be a complete mess if UGay loses then beats bammer in the SECCG, I'd bet money that bammer gets in over UGay in that scenario!!!
Old 11-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Ring of Honor

UGA is dealing with some injuries on the oline and a few other spots. I wouldn't pick Auburn, but the potential is there.

Miss St is just as bad as LSU's offense. Bama's defense and special teams will outscore them. I dont think Hurts is really available if anything happened to Tua....they still win regardless. Btw...anyone else think Tua is dealing with some type of ligament injury?
Old 11-05-2018, 10:17 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsonfan1364 View Post
UGA is dealing with some injuries on the oline and a few other spots. I wouldn't pick Auburn, but the potential is there.

Miss St is just as bad as LSU's offense. Bama's defense and special teams will outscore them. I dont think Hurts is really available if anything happened to Tua....they still win regardless. Btw...anyone else think Tua is dealing with some type of ligament injury?
Yep! Said that to my son, and he replied ACL? Might only be MCL, but we all saw DW4 beat SCar on a torn ACL in a brace... Wouldn't surprise me for "win at all cost" Nickie to use a young man for his own gain!
Old 11-06-2018, 12:11 AM
NFL Tiger

I seem to recall hearing a coaching staff say something to the effect of
"well, it's already torn, he can't tear it again"
Napoleon is in the same boat we were in Watson's freshman year, except his Stoudt is recovering from surgery.

I don't believe Tua is going to last the entire year, based on what I saw against LSU. I also do not believe Saban has a better choice. Jalen Hurts as a one-legged QB amounts to a slightly mobile tackling dummy.

But in all honesty, that 3rd team guy can hand the ball off 50 times and beat the cowbell clangers
Old 11-06-2018, 07:41 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Bama and Georgia both win this week.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:02 AM
Walk On

I expect them both to win out until the SEC championship game but it raises an interesting question. It’s possible both teams finish with 2 losses. Does a 2 loss SEC champion get in the playoffs over a 1 loss conference champion from any other conference?
Old 11-06-2018, 09:13 AM
NFL Tiger

I think both win this week. But, if one of them goes down it will be UGA. They certainly have a tendency for not showing up at times and Malzahn finds a way to win these big games sometimes, even when his team isn’t playing particularly well and it looks like he has one foot out the door. A lot of the Awbarn fanbase want him to go, but he keeps winning just enough big games to keep his job. This smells like it could be an upset, but I wouldn’t bet money on it actually happening.

Bama could beat MissSt running wildcat with “pick a tailback” and all 3QBs sitting on the bench in street clothes.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:22 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenChE98 View Post
I expect them both to win out until the SEC championship game but it raises an interesting question. It’s possible both teams finish with 2 losses. Does a 2 loss SEC champion get in the playoffs over a 1 loss conference champion from any other conference?
No, one loss would be, "Bama got caught in a trap game or just played bad" but two losses would show that they arent the almighty football gods everyone (but us) think they are...so a mere mortal 2 loss Bama team doesnt make it either assumeing other conference champs only carry the single loss.

I've never liked ol' Tommy Tuberville but I agree with him when he said, "No one even likes watching Alabama play football anymore". I guess that probably holds true for us except the perception is that we could lose a game at any time.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:13 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by melamb13 View Post
Yep! Said that to my son, and he replied ACL? Might only be MCL, but we all saw DW4 beat SCar on a torn ACL in a brace... Wouldn't surprise me for "win at all cost" Nickie to use a young man for his own gain!
Hmm why say that when you just point out our guy played with a torn ACL in a brace. Makes Dabo look kinda bad as well.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitiger View Post
Hmm why say that when you just point out our guy played with a torn ACL in a brace. Makes Dabo look kinda bad as well.
True, but it was DW4's decision (according to he and Dabo) and it was 1 game, not 6 maybe 7. If DW did that mid season, I like to believe that Dabo makes the better call.

I think DW wanted the Chickens, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's just my inherent distrust of Nicky! That Auburn defensive front is nothing to be meddling with if your QB is gimpy, it could get ugly for him.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:50 PM
Two Deep

The SEC is a bunch of JV teams and Bama. None of the rest of those teams belong near the top 10 (by the eye test; I understand their ranking based on their respective records). Oklahoma, Clemson, Michigan, WV and Bama would blow LSU, Kentucky or Georgia off the field. Of course, the ACC is a bunch of JV teams and Clemson so...
Old 11-06-2018, 02:55 PM
Way2tall

UGay? Maybe. Bama. Not with Tua.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:55 AM
TCI Staff

No. Bama will roll and I think Georgia has its wake up call at LSU. They will roll.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:40 AM
Two Deep

One hit to the quarterbacks damaged knee and Alabama can be had. The Georgia game comes down to their ability run it and which quarterback shows up for Auburn, Jekyll or Hyde.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:50 AM
TCI Staff

Struggle may be an exaggeration for what Alabama will do against Mississippi, but I am interested to see the status of Tua's knee and what his mobility looks like.

Georgia on the other hand is an enigma, I'm not quite sure what team or what Jake Fromm will show up on Saturday. BUT the game is at Sanford Stadium so I'm going to say that one is a lock too.