Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2017, 08:32 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default From the Sidelines - Auburn at Clemson

Each week I share some thoughts after watching Clemson From the Sidelines. In this edition some thoughts after watching Clemson defeat Auburn Saturday night in Death Valley.

- I have to start with giving major props to the Clemson fans. The fans helped feed the defense all night long. It was another great crowd in Death Valley.

- We have talked to many recruits that were in attendance Saturday night. That environment received high praise from the prospects that were in attendance.

- That was one of the most impressive defensive performances I have seen. Clemson's front four lived in the backfield all night long and the secondary did a great job in coverage. Several of the 11 sacks were coverage sacks for sure.

- Austin Bryant is back and better than ever. That is huge for Clemson's defensive front. If the front four can stay healthy they will give offenses fits all season long.

- K'Von Wallace was amazing. He got his chance to start and he made the most of it. Wallace is going to be a great one. He can play corner or safety but safety gives him the ability to be roam around and be physical when needed. Clemson now has three very solid safeties and are better there than they have been in a long time.

- Feaster needs more carries. The running game from the running back position was not very good this week. Clemson needs a back that can be elusive. Fuller and Choice do not fit that very well. Hopefully, we will see Feaster get more opportunities as the season moves along. The running game needs to improve for sure.

- How about the game Ray Ray had? He had several huge catches and his fumble should have been overturned in my opinion. It is good to see him taking his game to the next level.

- Kelly Bryant still has a lot of improvement to do but he showed some real fight Saturday night. He was a different player when he came back after the injury and the offense seemed to take it to another level.

- The staff got very conservative with the play calling in the second half after going up eight. I kept waiting for Clemson to put one more score on the board so they had the game in more control. The staff felt the way the defense was playing they didn't want to make any mistakes and that plan worked.

- I have never been to a game where there were more high profile recruits. The nation's top offensive and defensive players for the 2018 class were in the Valley as were the top 2019 offensive and defensive players (both Georgia commits). The returns have been very positive from the visitors. Saturday night will pay dividends for the 2019 class for sure.

- Clemson is building amazing depth on defense. They kept rolling in new players Saturday night and there was no dropoff in the level of play. This defense is as deep as I can remember. That is really going to help in the future to have so many playing important roles during the game.

- I got a chance to talk with Xavier Brewer a good bit before the game. When I visited Cartersville for their game against Bartram Trail we talked as well as he was the defensive coordinator that went against Trevor Lawrence. He echoed what many have said that Lawrence is one of a kind. It was cool seeing him and Kyle Parker (former Bartram Trail and teammates as well) talk on the field before the game.

- The lights app seemed to be a hit with fans. It looked cool watching that from the field.

- Clemson checked the box with a big win Saturday night. The defense will keep the Tigers in all of the games this season. The offense still has plenty of room for improvement and that will need to happen quickly with tough road games on the horizon at Louisville and at Virginia Tech.

Last edited by Will Vandervort; 09-11-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:03 AM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: From the Sidelines - Auburn at Clemson

Robert, I didn't really watch the DL close enough to see how the backups did. With out lack of depth there preseason, how are they looking now?
Old 09-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Ring of Honor

I saw Robinson, Huggins, and Register all log some snaps.

We played a lot of guys at all three levels. This is going to be a really good defense as me move along in the season.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Travel Team

Robert,
I, too, would love to hear about the reps the young DEs got and their quality of performance. It seems we are not as deep there and I'm hoping for some quick maturation by the younger guys. What did you see?
Old 09-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Two Deep

TV announcers kept making it a point of emphasis whenever our backups would go in and how they expected them to struggle.

We gave up 117 total yards.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Two Deep

Struggling a little bit with the conservative play calling in the 2nd half. After our scoring drive to start 3rd qtr, wasn't nearly every other drive we had starting at or near midfield? To me seemed like lack of execution and the fumble kept us from adding at least a couple field goals. The past few years that kind of field position was like money in the bank. Need to really clean things up and get a decent running game going or we won't keep pace with Louisville.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
Struggling a little bit with the conservative play calling in the 2nd half. After our scoring drive to start 3rd qtr, wasn't nearly every other drive we had starting at or near midfield? To me seemed like lack of execution and the fumble kept us from adding at least a couple field goals. The past few years that kind of field position was like money in the bank. Need to really clean things up and get a decent running game going or we won't keep pace with Louisville.
If you watched coach Swinney's postgame he talked about how they dialed in back some.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:58 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
Staff dialed it way back after CJ's fumble, wanting to protect the victory instead of taking a chance to give the game away.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Two Deep

I got it that they dialed back the play calling, but I was really disappointed the offense couldn't move it into field goal range starting at mid field on multiple possessions. I guess I'm spoiled by the past few years where that was a common occurrence. That game was nerve wrackingly tight. One more field goal would have made me feel a whole lot better

No training wheels allowed this weekend. The offense and coaches better bring their track shoes!
Old 09-11-2017, 02:26 PM
NFL Tiger

Happy the punter got all of them off. Disappointed that as many chances as we had at pinning them back inside the 10, we didn't.

Also, why go to the rugby kick at the end? I mean that was a worst case scenario, no hang time and it went to the returner. Coverage seemed to be really good prior to that.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Clemson Insider

Pinckney was in there a lot on the inside.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Tiger Starter

The rugby kick was poorly executed. Although I don't understand the reasoning for it. It was also a lucky bounce for them in that it bounced straight to the returner. But it wasn't long enough and it shouldn't have been right down Main Street.

Even if you go vanilla to make sure you don't screw up, I agree that we still should have been able to get a FG in the last 2 quarters given our great field position. That was disappointing.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:41 PM
NFL Tiger

I think that fumble by Fuller is what took the coaches confidence and it seemed they went vanilla after that. If he doesn't fumble, we most certainly go down and score again. KB2, Renfrow and McCloud were on fire at that point and a TD was bound to happen on that drive. Then, I think "vanilla" wouldn't have been in their mind and our Tigers could have blown that thing wide open to something like 28-6. Either way, we got the W and we're sitting pretty at #3 (should be #2, but whatever).
Old 09-12-2017, 03:35 AM
Two Deep

Thanks RObert. I always enjoy this feature
Old 09-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Two Deep

I wonder why Etienne didn't get a single snap.. Not enough confidence in him yet? To me he's the explosive back we've been waiting a long time for..
Old 09-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Tiger Starter

My guess is Etiene doesn't know enough of the playbook and/or isn't where they want him in terms of blocking yet. I love the way he runs, but with the tenuous grasp on the lead we had at the time I don't think they felt he could do it yet. The last thing you want is for a turnover to happen bc he missed a read on a block.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvegastiger49 View Post
My guess is Etiene doesn't know enough of the playbook and/or isn't where they want him in terms of blocking yet. I love the way he runs, but with the tenuous grasp on the lead we had at the time I don't think they felt he could do it yet. The last thing you want is for a turnover to happen bc he missed a read on a block.
Makes sense and pretty much echos what Dabo said in his conference. No need to rush him; he'll get his reps.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Tiger Starter

Yep. And I don't even think it's fair to put a guy in that situation if he isn't ready. Confidence can get shot really quickly if you throw him into the fire and he makes a mistake that costs you a big game.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: From the Sidelines - Auburn at Clemson

I had to look up the jersey numbers to remind myself who #7 was! Austin Bryant was a beast on Saturday. I hope he continues to play that well.