Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Two Deep

Default James Island/Charleston Weather

Hi Tiger Fans,

First, hope everyone remains safe during this weather.

I recently purchased a home in the James Island area (over near Clarks Sound near Ft. Johnson and Secessionville intersection). I'm from the upstate and am actually renting the home out for now.

For those Charleston folks that live in the area or know the area well, just curious, do you think I will have water flood into the home or will it mostly just be Folly Beach that experiences being under water. I wish it on no one?

There is some marsh probably two blocks away at the end of the neighborhood. I'm not sure how far the water will surge in that area.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default Re: James Island/Charleston Weather

Think you might be saved by the storm not being as strong as expected and heading more towards western Georgia but sure looks like Charleston will get hit with plenty or rain and some storm surge
Old 09-10-2017, 10:16 PM
Tiger Starter

I have a lot of family on JI that are not far from you. IMO you ought to be ok but not sure if that area is prone to flooding or not. I think the high tides are at midnight and noon so those would obviously be the most vulnerable for you. Heck if nothing else, go knock on your new neighbors doors and ask them. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2017, 11:23 PM
Two Deep

Thanks Robert and SSMith for the reply.

Yeah, thankfully over the past few days, things shifted west but you never know about the storm surge. I would hope that all will be okay for everyone.

In regards to asking neighbors, I did that before buying the home. I found a neighbor and asked him about Hurricane Matthew and he said they had no flooding. Unfortunately, I'm renting my home out to a family member now and I am not in the area to go and ask a neighbor and my family member skipped town lol but at least they put up some sand bags for me.

Hope everyone remains safe and go Tigers.

I will sure learn a lot from this hurricane but I guess all of them are different.

I think I would probably rather have a house totally destroyed and re built rather than have to ever deal with several feet of flood water inside the house. (of course that is easy to say when I have had no memories spent in the home and no items of value in the home either)
Old 09-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Tiger Starter

You are certainly welcome!

https://ss2.climatecentral.org/#12/4...feet&pois=hide

This is a pretty neat tool. Not sure how accurate but it might give you an idea.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:37 AM
Travel Team

I've lived in Charleston most of my life with over 15 years on JI and Folly.

For most of inland JI, it has to rain six inches or have six foot of storm surge. Of course the tide plays a huge roll in the surge magnitude...looking like high tide today around 12:30 and judging from current surge at low tide, expect tide +3'+.

Try this map...I find it helpful when estimating the impact of surge.

http://gator995.com/interactive-map-...urge-flooding/

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Travel Team

It's pretty nasty right now. Lots of flooding, especially downtown.
There are several tornadoes in the area. But the worst is the storm surge. It is currently around a 10 foot tide. (8 feet is considered a major flood downtown). All bridges and many roads are closed.

There's lots of flooding on JI and Folly. If your property is in a flood zone, it may be in danger. The news guys are saying that the flooding is already worse than with Matthew, and very close to what it was during Hugo.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Tiger Starter

I hope your home made out ok! It was way worse than expected. My family on JI were sparred barely but many of their neighbors didn't fare too well.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:46 AM
Two Deep

Thank you to you all who replied.

The report back from the house was positive. Although I was checking reports all day long and twitter and saw some amazing and scary videos. Just awful for Charleston. My goodness. I can only imagine what the battery would be like if we had a direct hit. Charleston better never get a direct hit. Although in time, I suppose it eventually will. I just don't know how the ol city could handle a landfall of an eye at say a Cat 4 or 5.

Hope all came out well.

Go Tigers
Old 09-12-2017, 04:53 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMITH2554 View Post
I hope your home made out ok! It was way worse than expected. My family on JI were sparred barely but many of their neighbors didn't fare too well.
Thanks SSMITH.

The neighbor contacted my sister and even sent a photo. We came out okay it appears. Doesn't appear to be any damage. Just a bunch of leaves down. First thing I did when I bought the home was cut back limbs and trim trees in July. I thought I had overpaid on that but it was worth every penny. Wish my neighbors would let me cut down their two big pine trees. Power was out but I think it is back on. Only thing concerning was the neighbor heard the smoke detectors going off in the house but didn't see any smoke. They are all hard wired with battery back up, so who knows what is up with that. Perhaps the power going out tripped them or something.

Hope your family fared well. Seems like they came close to taking on water.

I knew it was going to be bad and was fearful all week long. Not sure why others in Charleston were a little nonchalant about it. Charleston in many areas just got beaten and beaten again. Sad. Its' funny though, even when it rains for 10 minutes in downtown, the streeets flood. This was just awful. Wowser. I guess being on that right side of the eye truly is the worse
Old 09-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Tiger Starter

Martleapts...

Do you have tenants yet in this house? One of my high school friends got flooded out and needs a place for she and her son. Very good people!
Old 09-13-2017, 09:28 PM
Two Deep

Thank you for the note.

I sure hate to hear that about them being flooded out. That is awful. They must be right up against the marsh. That was my fear, the flooding. I would rather my home had been ripped apart than flooded. Thankfully neither happened from what has been shared with me.

I do have a family member in the house. And living for free and they still complain about things. (Last time I do that I've learned) I wish I could be of further help. Come June, then it would be a different story. I would happily take care of them. At this time though, Legally, I am not allowed to have any tenants at this time. I have to wait a full year before I can rent it out or else I would be liable for mortgage fraud. I think that is silly but yes, I'm paranoid about the bank calling the entire loan amount due.

I'll have my family member check around to see if they have some ideas. Would like to help out if I could and I have no doubt that they are high quality people.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:31 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martelapts View Post
Thank you for the note.

I sure hate to hear that about them being flooded out. That is awful. They must be right up against the marsh. That was my fear, the flooding. I would rather my home had been ripped apart than flooded. Thankfully neither happened from what has been shared with me.

I do have a family member in the house. And living for free and they still complain about things. (Last time I do that I've learned) I wish I could be of further help. Come June, then it would be a different story. I would happily take care of them. At this time though, Legally, I am not allowed to have any tenants at this time. I have to wait a full year before I can rent it out or else I would be liable for mortgage fraud. I think that is silly but yes, I'm paranoid about the bank calling the entire loan amount due.

I'll have my family member check around to see if they have some ideas. Would like to help out if I could and I have no doubt that they are high quality people.
Thank you for the reply! Good luck with your family and home. I've had similar situations where family take advantage but they are still family so...

Go tigers!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:57 PM
Two Deep

Thank you as well.

I don't know if I want to deal with the yearly stress of hurricane season. While hurricanes in a way are quite fascinating, last week was no fun at all. I just don't know if little ol Charleston would have held up to a direct hit. And, unfortunately, over time, it is going to happen most likely at some point. But she has stood the test of time so far and everything that nature has thrown at her.

Go Tigers