Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2017, 08:01 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default The Insider Report

It is time for this week’s edition of The Insider Report.

We hope everyone had a good weekend. It was a special night in Death Valley for those that attended the game.

Historic Recruiting Game

We have written plenty about Clemson’s historic 2018 recruiting class. Well Saturday night in Death Valley there was a historic amount of top prospects in Death Valley. The Tigers hosted the nation’s No. 1 offensive player for 2018 Trevor Lawrence, the nation’s No. 1 defensive player for 2018 Xavier Thomas, the nation’s No. 1 defensive player for 2019 Nolan Smith and the No. 1 offensive player for 2019 Jadon Haselwood. Both Haselwood and Smith are currently committed to Georgia. Those are just a few of the 5-star's that were in Death Valley for Auburn.

If you followed our Tour of Champions content when we visited IMG Academy in August you know that Smith is a commit to Georgia technically, but much more likely to end up at Clemson. We can tell you that we have heard very, very positive returns on Smith’s visit to Clemson over the weekend. Smith has a really, really strong relationship with coach Venables and he went as far as saying in our interview he had with Xavier Thomas that he looked forward to playing for Venables. The weekend visit allowed that bond to grow even stronger. The dominate defensive performance was certainly notices by Smith. As we said in August if today was signing day Smith would sign with Clemson.

Clemson is not yet as strong with Haselwood, but they are much more in the mix after his visit this weekend. The Tigers came through with an offer this weekend and that made a big impression with Jordan.

Haselwood told TCI in our interview after the visit that he was still committed to Georgia, but Clemson made a major move.

“They just skyrocketed,” Haselwood said when asked where Clemson stands in his recruitment after the visit.

Trevor Lawrence spent plenty of time talking with Jordan during his visit. There is still plenty of work to do for Clemson to flip Haselwood, but they certainly are in the game after his visit to Death Valley and the offer.

Justyn Ross Update

Another prospect that was impressed with his victory was 5-star 2018 WR Justyn Ross. Ross got to hang around his good friend Trevor Lawrence a good bit this weekend and was one of the recruits that got to the top of The Hill to watch the most exciting 25 seconds in college football.

Auburn of course is one of the schools that Ross is also giving a hard look to.
We spoke with a source on Sunday that was around Ross during the visit and he told us he believes Clemson will sign Ross.

Justyn will be back later this year for an official visit. There is still work to do to secure this one on signing day but Saturday’s visit certainly helped Clemson’s chances.

The Next Xavier Thomas - Jordan Burch?

2020 defensive end Jordan Burch got plenty of attention this weekend even though the Valley was filled with 5-stars. Burch and his family got the hard sell from coach Todd Bates. Bates told the family that Clemson wants Jordan bad and that he was recruiting Jordan just like he was a senior right now.
Jordan currently plays at the Hammond School in Columbia but is originally from Florence’s Wilson High where Xavier Thomas played before transferring to IMG.

Xavier Thomas spent time talking with Burch during the visit and sharing with him the reasons he is committed to the Tigers. Thomas is a great role model for Burch. Believe it or not Burch is already the size of Xavier and is only a sophomore.

Keep an eye on this young man as he is a top priority for Clemson and will be a 5-star down the road.

VT Commit McFadden Update

Clemson attracted a handful of prospects committed elsewhere to campus for the Auburn game on Saturday. One of those visitors was Roebuck (S.C.) Dorman 2018 offensive tackle Jordan McFadden, who committed to Virginia Tech in July.

McFadden (6-5, 280) grew up a Clemson fan living less than an hour and a half away from the school. He competed at the Dabo Swinney Camp in the summer of 2016 and visited Clemson as a recruit for a few games last season. Saturday’s visit, though, carried more weight as it marked his first since receiving an offer from Clemson last month.

We were told that McFadden really enjoyed the visit. He was able to check out Clemson’s new facility for the first time and was very impressed. He spoke extensively with offensive line coach Robbie Caldwell and also talked with Dabo Swinney. Virginia Tech has made McFadden a priority, and the message from the Tigers was that he is a priority to them as well. Clemson’s staff explained why it didn’t offer him earlier, saying they have liked him throughout the process but really saw him mature and become a dominant player last year and this spring.

We were told McFadden plans to visit Clemson again this season as well as Virginia Tech. He figures to be circling Clemson’s game at Virginia Tech on Sept. 30 as a potential visit date.

Clemson was the offer McFadden really wanted early in his recruitment, and odds are he would be a member of its 2018 class had the Tigers made a move earlier. He remains committed to Virginia Tech, but Clemson is giving him a lot to think about.

Please do not copy or paste this information to any other media outlets. If you know someone that wants the information simply send them to The Rock.

Last edited by Robert Thorne MacRae; 09-11-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:22 PM
California Tiger

Default Re: The Insider Report

Robert -

Great recruiting information. Thank you again for all the great work. How do we stand with KJ Henry? He was not listed in your update.

I am a 1981 grad and do some business with Bill Smith. As I live in Los Angeles, he is arranging a tour of the new football facility for me on the Friday afternoon before the Wake Forest game. If you are around I would like to say hello.

Thanks again,

Eric (The California Tiger)
Old 09-11-2017, 08:32 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaplan View Post
Robert -

Great recruiting information. Thank you again for all the great work. How do we stand with KJ Henry? He was not listed in your update.

I am a 1981 grad and do some business with Bill Smith. As I live in Los Angeles, he is arranging a tour of the new football facility for me on the Friday afternoon before the Wake Forest game. If you are around I would like to say hello.

Thanks again,

We did not include Henry or several other visitors in this round. Henry's visit went well from what we are told. We will have more on him later. He is expected to be back later this year for his official visit.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:01 PM
Tiger Starter

I just can't believe how many of these kids rush their commitments before even receiving all their offers and taking their major visits.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:32 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphins View Post
I just can't believe how many of these kids rush their commitments before even receiving all their offers and taking their major visits.
A bird in the hand....
Old 09-12-2017, 12:03 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleTiger View Post
A bird in the hand....
I really don't think that applies to elite recruits.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:29 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaplan View Post
Robert -

Thanks again,

Hi Eric, I'm another fellow Tiger fan living out here in Los Angeles.

Go Tigers!
Old 09-12-2017, 01:18 PM
Tiger Starter

Any news on 5-star basketball recruit Zion Williamson's visit? I believe I heard here or on another site that he plans to take an official visit with his parents, so that seems to be a good sign...
Old 09-12-2017, 02:49 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
I really don't think that applies to elite recruits.
At Clemson it applies and is a big reason we are in this situation. We make a point not to over offer and leave players out to dry when they want to commit. I agree with you that a lot of schools will oversign the elite, but it is a dangerous game that usually ends with a lower ranking commit being hurt.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU@theValley View Post
At Clemson it applies and is a big reason we are in this situation. We make a point not to over offer and leave players out to dry when they want to commit. I agree with you that a lot of schools will oversign the elite, but it is a dangerous game that usually ends with a lower ranking commit being hurt.
I interpreted the "bird in the hand" comment as a reference to these recruits signing early before they've even received all their offers and taken all their visits.

I don't think elite recruits need to be of the mindset that they need to hastily accept one of their first top offers out of fear of losing out altogether. I mean- if a top recruit is interested in Clemson but hasn't yet received and offer or visited on game day, why would he feel the need to jump the gun by committing elsewhere before he's even entered his junior year?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:17 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
I interpreted the "bird in the hand" comment as a reference to these recruits signing early before they've even received all their offers and taken all their visits.

I don't think elite recruits need to be of the mindset that they need to hastily accept one of their first top offers out of fear of losing out altogether. I mean- if a top recruit is interested in Clemson but hasn't yet received and offer or visited on game day, why would he feel the need to jump the gun by committing elsewhere before he's even entered his junior year?
I think you define elite recruit differently than I do. He is a 3 star who basically picked VT over Duke at the time. I don't think that is really elite. That is a kid that likely felt pressure to pick VT because they could find another 3 star that was ready to commit.

Just my .02
Old 09-12-2017, 10:52 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleTiger View Post
I think you define elite recruit differently than I do. He is a 3 star who basically picked VT over Duke at the time. I don't think that is really elite. That is a kid that likely felt pressure to pick VT because they could find another 3 star that was ready to commit.

Just my .02
I'm talking about the pair of 5-star recruits that committed early to UGA. I think they qualify as elite, no.