Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default Every day I become more concerned about ACC hitching future to ESPN

Smh
Old 09-12-2017, 07:20 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Every day I become more concerned about ACC hitching future to ESPN

Not sure which particular thing made you smh this time, there are certainly many.

ESPN has turned into a network that politicizes things. That will not go over well. Most people look at sports as unifying. ESPN has managed to destroy that. It will eventually cost them I think.

It will be hard to untangle all the content they have locked up, but I think they will have a hard time paying what they are committed to as well.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:00 PM
NFL Tiger

I think the ACC should start looking toward FoxSports1.... I am done with ESPN until they stop attacking our President.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:01 PM
NFL Tiger

I also heard tonight that they are looking at firing another 100 people.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Travel Team

ACC is screwed revenue wise, period.

Swoffy dropped the ball here in unbelievable fashion....I can't believe we are still 2 years away from a network.

Fox would have been a smarter choice but the timing couldn't be worse and we are already 100 million behind PER SCHOOL.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:53 PM
Travel Team

It's a bubble. It will burst. Regardless of conference, schools hopefully are seeing the writing on the wall and preparing.

Unfortunately, it will be really hard on a lot of school athletic programs.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:16 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrisler View Post
It's a bubble. It will burst. Regardless of conference, schools hopefully are seeing the writing on the wall and preparing.

Unfortunately, it will be really hard on a lot of school athletic programs.
Hadn't given much thought to the bubble, but I think you might right. It all smelled like roses at first but the new shine has worn and ESPN shoving their hype and agenda down everyone's throat is hurting their cause. So yes unless things change I can see them imploding or at least struggling for time. Its just not self sustaining at the rate things are going.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:05 AM
Travel Team

I think whoever's contract ends first is going to end up having to go to FOX/NBC/CBS or take a lot less money from ESPN.

That or perhaps the NFL takes the hit. ESPN pays some serious bank to do 1 game a week.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:23 AM
Two Deep

With the popularity of streaming services, I could see each conference, or perhaps all Power 5 conferences combining, creating their own. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Yes they have gotten quite political, and while I personally hate it, the big city liberals probably love it. Call me dumb, but a sports channel should talk about sports.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:58 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Born63 View Post
With the popularity of streaming services, I could see each conference, or perhaps all Power 5 conferences combining, creating their own. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Yes they have gotten quite political, and while I personally hate it, the big city liberals probably love it. Call me dumb, but a sports channel should talk about sports.
I'm not gonna call you dumb, because I totally agree they should talk about sports, not politics. And if their "celebrities" go off on a twitter rant, regardless of the stance he/she takes, the punishment should be the same... not a slap on the wrist to one and a firing to the other.

I use social media quite a bit and believe it has some good qualities. But, it's also the demise of our culture because too many people can't or won't filter/edit/etc before hitting send/submit/etc.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walhalla2Atlanta View Post
I'm not gonna call you dumb, because I totally agree they should talk about sports, not politics. And if their "celebrities" go off on a twitter rant, regardless of the stance he/she takes, the punishment should be the same... not a slap on the wrist to one and a firing to the other.

I use social media quite a bit and believe it has some good qualities. But, it's also the demise of our culture because too many people can't or won't filter/edit/etc before hitting send/submit/etc.
+1

Well said.
--Daughters, they can climb trees, fish, and shoot guns just as good as any boy, sometimes better. Plus they can have the boy clean the fish, buy the bullets when they go out, and then the Father gets to eat. Daughters are great. --
Old 09-13-2017, 01:49 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walhalla2Atlanta View Post
My experience is that too many people are deliberately using the internet in general and social media in particular as a way to do things they would NEVER do if there were standing in a stadium or sitting across the table in a bar, etc. Without even knowing someone, they get personal and hyper-critical for starters.

But on the topic of this thread, the financial future of ESPN is not yet at the point of make or break (survive or go bankrupt) in my opinion. But they also are doing NOTHING to change the course that they are on either. In fact, things are getting worse in some ways and it seems to be with the full consent of the executives.

For almost 2 years I have limited my "consumption" of their products essentially to Gameday and live or DVR'd games. Almost all of that is CFB, with the occasional basketball or baseball event online. So as long as the network's mismanagement doesn't impact the availability of live games, I'm not so worried. I've seen one "rumor" that more layoffs are being discussed. And, of course, there are steady rumors about the parent (Disney) continually balancing their options since the business trajectory is solidly down, down, down for many quarters in a row.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:14 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Born63 View Post
Yes, just what we need...ANOTHER streaming service. If that's the route, hopefully they combine to form one service. Otherwise, what happens when you want to switch between games and they're on different apps? Rather than just being a simple picture in picture switch or a something, you end up having to go to a different app, and it takes the whole commercial break to get the other game streaming. It would also create the "level playing field" the NCAA wants in order to distribute revenues evenly. BUT, the SEC's of the world wouldn't go for that because it would inevitably be a drop in revenue for them.

Interesting idea, because if they do all come together, conference alignment wouldn't mean as much financially, so you might see a more standardized NCAA like the NFL is, with evenly sized conferences and standard conference championships and rules and such.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrisler View Post
Yes, just what we need...ANOTHER streaming service. If that's the route, hopefully they combine to form one service. Otherwise, what happens when you want to switch between games and they're on different apps? Rather than just being a simple picture in picture switch or a something, you end up having to go to a different app, and it takes the whole commercial break to get the other game streaming. It would also create the "level playing field" the NCAA wants in order to distribute revenues evenly. BUT, the SEC's of the world wouldn't go for that because it would inevitably be a drop in revenue for them.

Interesting idea, because if they do all come together, conference alignment wouldn't mean as much financially, so you might see a more standardized NCAA like the NFL is, with evenly sized conferences and standard conference championships and rules and such.
They all came together to get the Power 5 up so they could "pay" players, or whatever the proper wording is for that. It's not out of the question that they could come together to create a streaming service. I do agree that ANOTHER streaming service would be a bit ridiculous, and with all that it would offer, quite expensive. But if you think about it, it wouldn't be just football. Basketball, baseball, women's sports, and all the Olympic sports could be broadcast on there, and the conferences could break the reliance on ESPN for all of those. It would be their own product they could control. Conferences like control. I personally would pay for that over ESPN's standalone streaming service that's coming so I don't have to listen to politics.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:13 PM
Tiger Starter

It's hard to know if Swofford screwed up without know what was offered by each network or if Fox Sports even made an offer.

I would also support a live stream if it cuts ESPN out of the equation