Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2017, 11:38 AM
TCI Staff

Default Maybe Bryant was out

I went and watched the video from last night and it appeared to me when I was watching it on replay that Bryant looked safe, but this picture tells a different story.

Notice the tag on the right foot and where Bryant's left foot is in relation to the bag.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Two Deep

Default Re: Maybe Bryant was out

Right. The NCSt broadcasters made same observations when the replays were shown. They also noted an ump would usually indicate it was a tagged out, but that's not what I saw from him. So I assume he called him out as a force not the tag but in the end the right call was made.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:46 PM
TCI Staff

Yeah, any good or experienced umpire would've indicated that the out was on the tag, not the force. This is especially true when the head coach sprints out of the dugout to argue. Since that didn't happen, the only logical conclusion is that the umpire blew the call and *might* have gotten lucky. Also, he would've had a really hard time seeing that tag given the nature of the play and his angle. A more logical outcome would've been that he called him safe incorrectly because he couldn't see that the tag was applied, if that's indeed what happened.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:51 PM
Tiger Starter

Second base umpire got it right by accident. Now lets talk about that final pitch to Beer that was WAAAAAY off the plate that the home plate blew!
--Daughters, they can climb trees, fish, and shoot guns just as good as any boy, sometimes better. Plus they can have the boy clean the fish, buy the bullets when they go out, and then the Father gets to eat. Daughters are great. --
Old 05-19-2017, 02:45 PM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkoj View Post
Second base umpire got it right by accident. Now lets talk about that final pitch to Beer that was WAAAAAY off the plate that the home plate blew!
Lol! Yes it was. Robert and I were talking about that pitch this morning.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:18 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualk View Post
Yeah, any good or experienced umpire would've indicated that the out was on the tag, not the force. This is especially true when the head coach sprints out of the dugout to argue. Since that didn't happen, the only logical conclusion is that the umpire blew the call and *might* have gotten lucky. Also, he would've had a really hard time seeing that tag given the nature of the play and his angle. A more logical outcome would've been that he called him safe incorrectly because he couldn't see that the tag was applied, if that's indeed what happened.
It appeared to me that the ump made sure he kept the ball and pointed behind the bag, where the tag was made. I think he called it right and on purpose.