Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2017, 07:16 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default More Information on the Brad Brownell Situation - Saturday Night

Hopefully you saw our report yesterday where Will spoke with Dan Radakovich Friday night. Also hopefully you saw the report earlier today where Will spoke with Brad Brownell just minutes after his meeting with Dan Radakovich today.

We wanted to pass along some more information on this situation. We have been working since Tuesday to gather as much information as we can. There are still several things we don't want to go public with at this time, but we will once the timing is right.

- As we reported earlier today there was no final resolution today about Brownell's future at Clemson. The meeting started at 11 and last for around 2 hours and 30 minutes.

- We know that there was a meeting Friday that included outside counsel to discuss the Brownell situation and related contract issues.

- Based on the information we have from several sources we believe it is likely that one of the topics discussed in the meeting today was a possible restructuring of Brownell's contract. It would obviously be in Clemson's best interest to reduce the buyout in the future if Brownell does return.

- During the meeting today Radakovich discussed with Brownell where he felt the program needed to improve. There was dialogue back and forth about how to make those approvements. Coach Brownell was also asked about his thoughts on where the program needs to improve and how he would plan to make those improvements.

- We also know that Brownell was told that the assistant coaches are being evaluated as well.

- Coach Brownell will need to decide if he is willing to work under the parameters discussed in the meeting to return for another season with the Tigers.

- Brownell and Radakovich will meet again at some point next week.

- This process is very similar to the one Radakovich followed with Coach Jack Leggett. One thing we know about that situation is that coach Leggett felt good about the intial meeting and felt that he was likely coming back, only to find out in the second meeting that he was being fired.

- Right now things lean in the direction that Coach Brownell will return next season if he agrees to what Radakovich is asking. This is by no means resolved and could still go either way in the end.

As stated above we have a lot of other information that we will release when the timing is appropriate.

Last edited by Will Vandervort; 03-20-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:24 PM
Scholarship Player

Default Re: More Information on the Brad Brownell Situation - Saturday Night

If your Brad why would you agree to restructuring your contract. I would just let them fire me and take my 3.5 million. Sounds to me Drad wants to make a change but doesn't want to pay the buyout.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Two Deep

Radakovich and the board that approved his contract extension and buyout should be held accountable. I still have no idea what they were thinking? Was someone seriously worried about another school hiring him away from us. What a joke
Old 03-18-2017, 09:35 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan700 View Post
If your Brad why would you agree to restructuring your contract. I would just let them fire me and take my 3.5 million. Sounds to me Drad wants to make a change but doesn't want to pay the buyout.
This is a great point, unless Brad is that confident that he can and will turn things around. Perhaps he is willing to bet on himself, and if so, good for him.

I do think he loves Clemson and really wants to succeed here.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:40 PM
Ring of Honor

I want Brownell gone, but I agree he shouldn't agree to any restructuring. Either pay me my buyout or let me play it out.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Walk On

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcidtiger View Post
Radakovich and the board that approved his contract extension and buyout should be held accountable. I still have no idea what they were thinking? Was someone seriously worried about another school hiring him away from us. What a joke
I agree. Those who approved the extension, which I believe was only last Spring, should be held accountable.
Especially Radakovich. There was no reason last Spring to give Brownell an extension.
Radakovich is not an athletic director, he is a business manager who spends money like it grows on trees.
Time for him to go also. He has no loyalty to Clemson, any more than he did at Georgia Tech.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ougie View Post
I agree. Those who approved the extension, which I believe was only last Spring, should be held accountable.
Especially Radakovich. There was no reason last Spring to give Brownell an extension.
Radakovich is not an athletic director, he is a business manager who spends money like it grows on trees.
Time for him to go also. He has no loyalty to Clemson, any more than he did at Georgia Tech.
The large buyout was a mistake, but FYI, the extension was given in 2014.

I think Radakovich has been a great addition to Clemson as an AD. His capital campaigns and fundraising have been excellent for Clemson, not too mention he helped revitalize and restructure the athletic department.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Two Deep

Seems so, this will be a defining hire whether this year or next. I thought the Handling of JackLeg could have been better, but I was fully on board with Monte as successor.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:23 PM
NFL Tiger

I hate this situation. Brownell has been a good coach for Clemson and I think his heart has always been in the right place, but this is a tough job and I think he's run his course. I think both parties should go in opposite directions.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:31 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: More Information on the Brad Brownell Situation - Saturday Night

If you have to provide input on coaching assistants then you need a new head coach. BB should not restructure. They offered an extension so they should honor it.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:02 PM
Tiger Starter

I wonder if the hope is that Brownell will balk at DRad's recommendations and be fired. He would still get his buyout and DRad would be able to proceed in hiring Will Wade.

Perhaps that's what this week's meeting is about...
Old 03-19-2017, 08:03 PM
Tiger Starter

Sounds like the ol "dead man walking" for BB. I mean you go the the ADs office and come out with no job guarantee or vote of confidence. That tells me all I need to know, saying that he will probably keep his job...bad mistake in my opinion.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:40 PM
Walk On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutigergrad04 View Post
The large buyout was a mistake, but FYI, the extension was given in 2014.

I think Radakovich has been a great addition to Clemson as an AD. His capital campaigns and fundraising have been excellent for Clemson, not too mention he helped revitalize and restructure the athletic department.
Thanks for the correction on the year. I could have sworn it was last year. How time flies when your 70 years old.
I do disagree with you on the AD.
But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 AM
NFL Tiger

It's definitely not a good look for Clemson basketball when the other team in the state goes to the NCAA's and beats the ACC Champ this past weekend. Do they have better facilities, play in a better conference, have a better history than Clemson? I don't think so, yet here they are in the Sweet 16 and Brownell's only Touney win was a play-in game with OP's roster. SMH.

It's definitely time for him to go. No need to drag it out, D-Rad... pull the dang trigger.