Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2017, 09:05 PM
TCI Staff

Default Why did Clemson score just 14 points against Auburn?

"We scored a whopping 19 points against them guys last year early in the season and it was the same thing, we missed on some opportunities," Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said on his weekly call-in show on Monday. "Last year, we dropped a couple of touchdowns. We missed a kick the other night. We fumbled on another opportunity when we were in the scoring zone and then we had two touchdown plays, one we got sacked on and the other where we just did pull the trigger for whatever the reason.

"So we really missed on some opportunities and there was definitely more there... Hopefully, we can get that play-count up because it is important for us that we get that 85 snaps so our playmakers get the touches that they need because that is where our explosiveness comes from.

"But there is no question we are going to get better. We are not going to be an offense that is going to score 14 points a week. That is the lowest we have scored in a long time in a game that we won. But we are going to get better and better."
Old 09-11-2017, 10:07 PM
Two Deep

Default Re: Why did Clemson score just 14 points against Auburn?

because they scored 2 touchdowns and 2 extra points-what do you want?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????? a win is a win is a win would u rather score fifty and lose??
Old 09-11-2017, 11:36 PM
NFL Tiger

Coaches got nervous and went vanilla. I was convinced we were going to run it all three downs and punt at the end. I'm glad I was wrong.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:02 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleTiger View Post
Coaches got nervous and went vanilla. I was convinced we were going to run it all three downs and punt at the end. I'm glad I was wrong.
Nervous? How about making a calculation that a conservative approach gave us the best chance to win the game. BTW, it worked beautifully.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Tiger Starter

Nothing wrong with being conservative and winning the game on defense. That team we beat in the national title does it all the time. Not because they are conservative, but because their QB can't throw a forward pass and they have no choice.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Tiger Starter

We went conservative at about the 10 min mark in the 4th quarter. In 3rd quarter we squandered scoring opportunities with some overthrows by KB2 on one drive, the Fuller fumble, and a costly intentional grounding penalty that moved us back from a first down at about the 32 yd line. That's what I recall from the 2nd half. Thus, I was really disappointed by the miscues and poor execution that hurt us from getting at least a couple field goal chances. I keep hearing that the staff went conservative but watch the replay, we were putting the ball in the air but just not making the plays in the 3rd quarter and beginning of the 4th.