Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2017, 11:39 AM
TCI Staff

Default Swinney on what LSU and Houston did to stop Jackson

"We get our hands on everything we can to help us evaluate and get our team ready for what they are going to see."
Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: Swinney on what LSU and Houston did to stop Jackson

LSU didn't do anything uber special to slow down Louisville. Lousiville shot themselves in the foot a lot with penalties, dropped passes, and a turnover.

LSU just beat them man to man. Receivers were rarely open and LSU DL ripped up Louisville's OL. LSU flew to the ball with abandon and seemed to go after Jackson first and foremost. If the choice was to cover a HB or Jackson they went for Jackson.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Tiger Starter

You have to collapse the pocket without leaving running lanes open. You have to squeeze down on him, stay gap sound, not get pushed to far up field and the most important thing about Jackson is when you have your hands on him you have to tackle him. I see defenses get in more trouble with miss tackles more than anything. You have to spy him but the thing about spying him is you can only leave him one way out and thats to climb out of the pocket. Most QB's are going to climb and break toward their strong hand so it makes predicting his actions easier. I am going to play man which is a big risk but I think our guys play great man to man so that is going to leave a lot of pressure on the front 7. I also maybe play a safety at LB to give me more speed like a Muse or a Simmons. Someone big enough to tackle him but quick enough to not be out ran. I am going to make Jackson beat me with his legs and I am going to make him go sideline to sideline. I am not going to give him holes to go straight up the middle. Just like GT I am playing everything inside out. I think depth wise Clemson is more prepared to deal with Jackson moreso this year than last. I think we got tired especially in the 3rd when we kept turning the ball over letting Louisville right back in the game. I also think Louisville isn't as good as they were last season. I believe this defense can shut Jackson and Louisville down and that their defense will have problems with the running ability of Bryant. Thats just my opinion though.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Tiger Starter

^^^ They have a Freshman at Center that was getting manhandled by UNCheat. I think the pocket will collapse.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Swinney on what LSU and Houston did to stop Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerAidan View Post
You have to collapse the pocket without leaving running lanes open. You have to squeeze down on him, stay gap sound, not get pushed to far up field and the most important thing about Jackson is when you have your hands on him you have to tackle him. I see defenses get in more trouble with miss tackles more than anything. You have to spy him but the thing about spying him is you can only leave him one way out and thats to climb out of the pocket. Most QB's are going to climb and break toward their strong hand so it makes predicting his actions easier. I am going to play man which is a big risk but I think our guys play great man to man so that is going to leave a lot of pressure on the front 7. I also maybe play a safety at LB to give me more speed like a Muse or a Simmons. Someone big enough to tackle him but quick enough to not be out ran. I am going to make Jackson beat me with his legs and I am going to make him go sideline to sideline. I am not going to give him holes to go straight up the middle. Just like GT I am playing everything inside out. I think depth wise Clemson is more prepared to deal with Jackson moreso this year than last. I think we got tired especially in the 3rd when we kept turning the ball over letting Louisville right back in the game. I also think Louisville isn't as good as they were last season. I believe this defense can shut Jackson and Louisville down and that their defense will have problems with the running ability of Bryant. Thats just my opinion though.
I like the idea of a safety spying Jackson. I think we can rush four plus one guy devoted to Jackson. The key will be communication so someone doesn't sneak out of the backfield or from the LOS uncovered.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:35 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
I like the idea of a safety spying Jackson. I think we can rush four plus one guy devoted to Jackson. The key will be communication so someone doesn't sneak out of the backfield or from the LOS uncovered.
I think they could rotate the spy and make Jackson have to guess which guy it is. I like the idea of Muse, O'Daniel and Smith (if he's healthy). They all hit hard and should all be fast enough to limit Jackson. He's slippery and elusive, but just straight up speed, he's like a 4.6 guy, so he's really not blazing fast.

Also, their center is complete trash. Wilkins/Lawrence, etc can crash the middle and get a push on Jackson anytime they want. I think our D can control the size of the pocket and which way Jackson has to go to escape. If we can force him to choose a side to retreat to early, we can make him either get rid of the ball fast or make him run right into our help.

I really think BV has a plan in place. He has seen LJ live once and has plenty of video on how best to stop him. He has a couple weapons, but it's mainly him vs our D, all by himself. I'll place my money on our D stopping him more often than not... and just enough to win the game.