Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default The Insider Report

It is time for this week’s edition of The Insider Report.

We hope everyone enjoyed a great Homecoming weekend in Clemson.

We have more information on The Hill

As you know, TCI ran a story a little earlier on why The Hill isn’t full anymore. This has been a hot topic on the message board since the season started and it heated up even more after there was so much green grass visible as the Tigers ran down the hill prior to the Wake Forest Game.

We now know one reason is due to the number of no-shows by the students. Clemson allocated 3,000 tickets to the students to be used for the hill. Of those 3,000 students, just 1,539 used their ticket on Saturday – the lowest turnout of the season.

We also learned the reason the Hill was so empty on the left side when the Tigers were coming down the Hill is due to the fact students are all coming into just one gate (Gate 1) and it is getting bottled neck prior to kickoff. This is causing students to get into the stadium too late to get lined up on both sides of the hill.

By the time the Tigers were about to come down the hill on Saturday—seven minutes prior to kickoff—just 898 of the 1,539 who came to the game, were checked in at the entrance to the hill.

Clemson’s operations group will go over several issues over the next 20 days to fix problems like this from happening when the Tigers host Georgia Tech on Oct. 28.

One Clemson official told TCI they will try to create a pathway for students that are coming into Gate 1 to get to the north side of The Hill. The south side fills up faster than the north side. They also will extend an entryway to The Hill from the east end zone concourse. There already is one but they plan to extend it out a little further.

Students, as always, are encouraged to use Gate 5 on the north side of the stadium as another entry point to keep the bottlenecking from occurring at Gate 1.

Why The Hill isn’t at capacity any more

We were told by a couple of sources that Clemson has decreased the number of people it can put on the hill from 3,700 the last few years to 3,000 this year.

As you may know, The Hill’s capacity used to sit about 5,000 people. Clemson dropped that number down in recent years and had it at 3,700 the last several. However, a couple of incidents, which we cannot disclose, occurred last year, causing Clemson’s operations people, along with local law enforcement, to revisit the hill situation and cut the capacity allowed to 3,000.

Though head coach Dabo Swinney brought up the fire marshal in his press conference this past Saturday, a source told TCI the fire marshal did not request or recommend they shrink the capacity. However, he was one of the local law enforcement officers who sat in on the meeting and agreed a change was needed for safety purposes.

Was it okay for Wake Coach Dave Clawson to keep his injured QB off of the injury report?

In short, yes. As you might recall, Wake Forest started backup quarterback Kendall Hinton on Saturday due to an undisclosed injury to starter John Wolford. Wake officials said Wolford was not listed on the injury report the ACC sent out last Thursday because he could have played if they needed him.

There will be no punishment for Wake head coach Dave Clawson because he did not break any rules. There is no rule that requires a head coach or a school to disclose who is and who isn’t injured heading into a game. Eight years ago, the ACC coaches agreed—a gentlemen’s agreement—they would provide an injury report every Thursday. The agreement is only a gentlemen’s agreement.

Here’s the language in the preseason memo in regard to the injury report:

ACC INJURY RELEASE GUIDELINE

Approved by the ACC’s football head coaches for the eighth straight season, the ACC injury guideline is applicable for conference games only. This guideline is not an ACC rule and is a suggested minimum standard for release of injury information.

ACC Injury Release Guideline

This policy is suggested guideline for the 2017 football season. This is not an ACC rule subject to enforcement.

Once Football Season begins, starting on the week before the first game, the following injury release policy will be in place:

1. Head Football Coach defers all injury-related questions to primary sports medicine contact for football.
2. On each Monday during the season, the school announces any players who are out for the season or are scheduled to have surgery.
3. No other questions or announcements regarding player injuries will be made until the end of practice on Thursday, two days prior to the next football game (Tuesday for Thursday game, Thursday for Saturday).
4. On that day, within 90 minutes of the end of practice, injured players’ playing status for the school’s next football game will be announced in one of four categories:
a. Probable
b. Questionable
c. Doubtful
d. Out

Improvements for Photographers

We sometimes have to write about things that aren’t as they should be so we definitely need to write about improvements that are made. This year there have been several for the photographers that cover the games in Death Valley. There is a new room for the photographers to work on field level. In previous years we basically worked out of a dungeon under the West Endzone bleachers.

This week we got another nice improvement. We had water provided just for the photographers near our work area. In the previous game we had sever issues with the heat. Most of us spend the game on the field turf they have around the sidelines and in the endzone. That always adds to the heat.

Many of you probably don’t care much about what life is like for the photographers on the field, but I had to take time to pass along some kudos to those that made the changes this year.

Please do not copy or paste this information to any other media outlet. As you know TCI is Free so if you know someone that wants the information simply send them to The Rock.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:14 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: The Insider Report

I’m curious if students are prohibited from returning to The Hill if they leave for the concession stands or bathrooms. Surely they aren’t doing that!
Old 10-09-2017, 07:23 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: The Insider Report

5,000 versus 3,7000 versus 1,700 is a considerable difference.

It’s like looking at 15 chips versus 11 versus 5.

Okay, I’ll admit that I’m bored sitting in a restaurant eating supper.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:24 PM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: The Insider Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
Surely they aren’t doing that!
I'm not sure who this "Surely" you speak of, but cubarb told us it happened to her daughter and others, that's good enough for me. Either the hired security has screwed up like the did at Gate 20 or the Admin. has, either way it needs to be fixed ASAP!
--Daughters, they can climb trees, fish, and shoot guns just as good as any boy, sometimes better. Plus they can have the boy clean the fish, buy the bullets when they go out, and then the Father gets to eat. Daughters are great. --
Old 10-09-2017, 07:35 PM
NFL Tiger

I still have the following questions:

Like Tiger80, I want to know about students being allowed to return to the hill.

Another thing that hurts the crowd on the hill is not having paper tickets. I did notice in years past that kids would pass their stub back out so another kid could get on the hill.

I can't believe we have reached a point where you literally can't have the hill open anymore.

I also wonder if the AD is penalizing students that get a ticket and don't either use it or turn it back in? It would seem to me that they could easily do that.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleTiger View Post
I still have the following questions:

Like Tiger80, I want to know about students being allowed to return to the hill.

Another thing that hurts the crowd on the hill is not having paper tickets. I did notice in years past that kids would pass their stub back out so another kid could get on the hill.

I can't believe we have reached a point where you literally can't have the hill open anymore.

I also wonder if the AD is penalizing students that get a ticket and don't either use it or turn it back in? It would seem to me that they could easily do that.
Idk the legitimacy of this but I've heard unc doesn't let you into games the rest of the academic year if you buy a ticket and are a no show. I do know they have a better seniority system which I would like to see in place. No matter what tho, it's embarrassing to be the best college football program and not have the main attraction of your stadium doing its job. I say they should let the upper deck student ticket holders take the empty spots but I can also see problems with that.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

You can't be a real Clemson Tiger if you don't want to go to the football games right? Surely they should kick them out of school if they don't use the pass...
Old 10-09-2017, 08:15 PM
Two Deep

Long story short. Something needs to be truly done about this sooner than later. If the students aren't showing up then open up to the fans that can't afford the good seats. If it's a policy change that's hurting the students access to the game then fix the policy asap. Students on the hill has worked for decades. Why screw it up now? I know the insurance companies place numbers and rules and fire marshal number guidelines to provide coverage to the university but when did common sense leave the discussion. In the event of an emergency. Are the students not smart enough to go to open spaces such as the field or other exits?
Old 10-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Two Deep

If you sign up for a hill ticket and dont get it scanned you shouldn’t be allowed to get tickets for the next 2 games.

At least give them incentive not to miss.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:37 AM
Two Deep

It's a shame about The Hill. I know things have changed but when I was a kid in the 80's, my Dad would sit in his South Stand seats and send me to The Hill with a friend at game time. We paid $5 at the gate and had the time of our lives. Rushing the field afterwards was awesome. I wish I could do the same for my kids. It's a wonderful experience and unforgettable memory.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Scholarship Player

Why can't they give their tickets to another student? Why do they have to return ticket to office?
Old 10-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaTownTiger View Post
It's a shame about The Hill. I know things have changed but when I was a kid in the 80's, my Dad would sit in his South Stand seats and send me to The Hill with a friend at game time. We paid $5 at the gate and had the time of our lives. Rushing the field afterwards was awesome. I wish I could do the same for my kids. It's a wonderful experience and unforgettable memory.
Yep. I remember that too. Bring that back ASAP!!

Or they could make that for programs such as big brother, wounded warrior, make a wish, etc. I think it's awesome how Iowa has the childrens hospital right up against the stadium and the entire stadium waves to the kids after the 1st quarter. Not that we could do that but The Hill is a wonderful tradition and we should not only let it be an issue like it seems to be right now but make it even better. Just some thoughts.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:15 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB88 View Post
Why can't they give their tickets to another student? Why do they have to return ticket to office?
The tickets are not paper tickets. They 'assign' them to their student ID. Evidently, the students can go online and 'return' them.

I am not sure how they are re-distributed after the fact. Certainly not as efficiently as just handing it to someone you know...
Old 10-10-2017, 02:16 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaTownTiger View Post
This is what gets me about it too. That it is locked down and people held behind a barricade while the hill is half empty. And you can't get kids over there for a possession or two during the game.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:15 PM
Tiger Starter

These Hill numbers are quite astonishing to me on several levels. Firstly, when I was at Clemson in the mid 90's when the team was quite boring (Hatfield's "up the middle, up the middle, up the middle, punt" era), the students crammed the Hill on a weekly basis and had no problem maxing out the 5k capacity. Now the team is exciting and is a national contender, yet the students can barely fill up half the 3k capacity, at HOMECOMING no less? WTH?!

Secondly, having 5k on The Hill wasn't a problem during my 5 years at Clemson in the 90's, so what's changed since then that it now requires a 40% reduction in capacity?
Old 10-10-2017, 05:34 PM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphins View Post
These Hill numbers are quite astonishing to me on several levels. Firstly, when I was at Clemson in the mid 90's when the team was quite boring (Hatfield's "up the middle, up the middle, up the middle, punt" era), the students crammed the Hill on a weekly basis and had no problem maxing out the 5k capacity. Now the team is exciting and is a national contender, yet the students can barely fill up half the 3k capacity, at HOMECOMING no less? WTH?!

Secondly, having 5k on The Hill wasn't a problem during my 5 years at Clemson in the 90's, so what's changed since then that it now requires a 40% reduction in capacity?
There have been some liability issues over the years that have caused this. As we reported in the Insider, there were a couple of incidents last year which caused the capacity to go from 3,700 to 3,000.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:57 PM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Vandervort View Post
There have been some liability issues over the years that have caused this. As we reported in the Insider, there were a couple of incidents last year which caused the capacity to go from 3,700 to 3,000.
Wait was it last year these incidents occurred? Thought it was the Notre Dame game TWO years ago.

Will, going to be honest. It doesn't smell right. You have known me for a LONG time and you know my heart where Clemson is concerned.

I'm just going to suggest this to ALL STUDENTS, anyone who has or knows a student, tell them to SUCK IT UP and be willing to pay a football fee for your tickets from this point forward. I know it sucks. I got free tic, so did my brother and my Dad, but times have changed.

You can't count my daughter, who is a student, cause she's an IPTAY Collegiate Club member so she already pays, but she has been denied access.

Post it on your social media or whomever you talk to, SUCK IT UP AND BE WILLING TO FORK OVER SOME CASH (all of $170) for the one of the greatest traditions at Clemson and all of college football.

This is all about $...as DRad called the students last year "untapped revenue". It's my opinion, with solid stories from students and stories corroborated from people across the spectrum, you are being to set up to look bad for an end goal.

Don't bitch anymore, pay the damn fee and I guarantee this shiz wouldn't be happening. You can tell me fire marshal, screwy scanners, horrible lottery system and basically lay it at the students feet, but come on y'all. It's all about the money and you know it.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:04 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphins View Post

When was the last time the “shrunk” the hill? I mean it used to twice as big, at least, than it is now.

Also, when did they quit selling hill tickets to the public?

Like you said, it would be packed without incident.

I agree with Barb, something doesn’t smell right to me. I think it is a money play to force the students to ‘ask’ to be able to buy the tickets...
Old 10-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adish206 View Post
Idk the legitimacy of this but I've heard unc doesn't let you into games the rest of the academic year if you buy a ticket and are a no show.
But they will let you graduate without taking real classes.

*Ba-dum-ching!*
Old 10-10-2017, 10:03 PM
Tiger Starter

I am with Barb. It shouldn't be this hard. In this day and age, you gotta pay to play. Just make the move and get it goin. Make it right!