Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2018, 08:42 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default Now that we know who is returning on offense

How do you feel about the offense for next season
Old 01-11-2018, 08:58 AM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: Now that we know who is returning on offense

My answer depends on if our dline returns. If they do, there is no team on our schedule or in the Coastal that will prevent us from getting back to the playoff. The test will probably be Bama again.

If KB is the guy the offense will run just like it did this year. We'll be a running team and when we do pass, you'll probably have 80% or so within a few yards of the LOS.

We will not beat Bama unless we can throw the ball down the field. I don't care how sick people are of reading that comment, it won't change. The defense kept us in that game as long as they could until we turned the ball over. Bama will be the test...period.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 AM
Scholarship Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
How do you feel about the offense for next season
I think we will be better on offense. Certainly look for Higgins and Rogers to take a big step forward in their second year. ETN will have a better understanding of the importance of blocking when not carrying the ball.

Hopefully KB hears the footsteps from the other QBs and really takes another step forward also. He really needs to gain confidence in getting rid of the football quickly instead of hesitating. That little hesitation appeared to be the difference between big plays and short gains or even losses so many times this past season.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:03 AM
Ring of Honor

I feel the O-line will be improved again with the changes and new influx, but my concern is the speed of the receivers. Cain was our speed guy, and looking at the 40 times for our current roster does not impress. Amari is the only one with a sub 4.5 40 yd. Hopefully this group will have good to great hands.

Should be solid at RB leading to good balance.

TE is still a concern, hopefully Garrett Williams will be an improvement and maybe Galloway will surprise.

I agree that we shouldn't be challenged until the playoffs.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:08 AM
Travel Team

I think we are marginally better, unless KB is no longer the QB. We need a QB that is a true dual threat. KB had a great year, but we will not win a title with his ability to throw the ball.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:32 AM
Tiger Starter

I think we should definitely be better.

QB - either upgraded or more experienced

RB - more experienced which also should mean more blocking

OL - more experienced

WR - young talent has more experience. Kendrick and possibly Ross will add more talent. Lose speed from Cain and RayRay but either we couldn't get them the ball or too many drops for them to be very effective part of our O last yr.

TE - hopefully more experienced and will be more of an asset
Old 01-11-2018, 10:35 AM
Travel Team

LOL, I just can't get over the failure to recognize KB's raw talent. With a year under his belt, he will be much better next year. The offense will take a step forward next year; I'd expect the team to be able to score with most teams and a defense good enough to hold most teams to under 20.

Clemson will average around 38 points per game next year and expect both the rushing and passing yards per game to increase. About 50 yards more passing per game and probably 30 yards more rushing per game.

If the whole DL comes back, teams are going to be hard pressed to make it to 10. If that ends up being the case, I'd expect the offensive numbers to be even better.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUFisherman View Post
I think we are marginally better, unless KB is no longer the QB. We need a QB that is a true dual threat. KB had a great year, but we will not win a title with his ability to throw the ball.
KB is a dual threat. The offense put up pts last year; he made some throws; we were undefeated with him at QB and ranked #1 in the country until the Bama game; and there’s certainly potential for him to improve his mechanics, accuracy, and general understanding of all the positional nuances.

When anyone around here says that we need a true dual threat QB or a better QB, I think what we’re really implying is that we want another top 5 caliber QB bc we understand the impact of the position when it pertains to going from a playoff caliber team to championship caliber one. There are a lot of good programs out there who aren’t championship contenders who would be thrilled to have a Kelly Bryant at QB. But for us, we know, as well as everyone around the country, that just about the only way to beat Bama is to have a QB playing out of his mind. Just wanted to clarify that on KB’s half. Kid’s not chopped liver.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphins View Post
KB is a dual threat. The offense put up pts last year; he made some throws; we were undefeated with him at QB and ranked #1 in the country until the Bama game; and thereís certainly potential for him to improve his mechanics, accuracy, and general understanding of all the positional nuances.

When anyone around here says that we need a true dual threat QB or a better QB, I think what weíre really implying is that we want another top 5 caliber QB bc we understand the impact of the position when it pertains to going from a playoff caliber team to championship caliber one. There are a lot of good programs out there who arenít championship contenders who would be thrilled to have a Kelly Bryant at QB. But for us, we know, as well as everyone around the country, that just about the only way to beat Bama is to have a QB playing out of his mind. Just wanted to clarify that on KBís half. Kidís not chopped liver.
Never said he was chop liver, he had a great year, but when teams have the ability to minimize his running ability (Auburn, FSU, Bama) we struggled on offense this year. I think we can make it back to the playoff with KB, but I don't think we can beat Bama.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Scholarship Player

I think the only way we show much improvement is if we develop more of a passing game. KB is an ok passer but he doesnít seem to have much pocket awareness and has accuracy issues at times. Iím hoping that either HJ or TL can win the job because I think they both have higher ceilings. The defense should be good enough to keep us in games while we break one of them in. It will not surprise me if KB starts all year again but I donít think he is our best shot at winning it all.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:11 PM
NFL Tiger

I think we will better on offense.

Higgins is better than Cain, not faster, but longer and better hands. He's gonna get jump balls. I think Rodgers can be better than Ray Ray. He already looked like Artavis out there this year. I think this kid has good quickness and can make guys miss.

As for RBs... we know who is the thunder and lightning in this lineup. We can focus on those 2 guys and ET will hit some more home runs next season.

As for QB, we will either see an improved KB or someone new. I think the status quo for KB won't win him the job. His pocket awareness and ability to get rid of the ball fast has to improve. TL has a rapid-fire release and if he can grasp the playbook, he could emerge at some point as the starter. HJ and CB are in the mix as well. I can honestly see a 2 QB system where TL or HJ/CB run most of the plays, but KB comes in on more wildcat, short yardage, goal line situations. Maybe he even comes in as a "scat-back" and lines up on one side with Feaster or ET on the other. Having that firepower in the backfield would give even the most seasoned DC nightmares.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:40 PM
Way2tall

I think the offense will be better. I feel sure that we will have a QB that can throw the ball down the field, either KB or somebody else. RBs will be better. I see comments that we will lose speed at WR but #5 can fly. When #28 busted that long TD, Higgins was running circles around him. I think he will be plenty fast. I think Rogers will be more solid that RRM. I think we will be fine.
Ecclesiastes 3:11 God has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart. That's why we seek it.