The Clemson Insider Forums

The Clemson Insider Forums (http://forums.theclemsoninsider.com/mb/index.php)
-   The Rock (http://forums.theclemsoninsider.com/mb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Monday Morning Quarterback (http://forums.theclemsoninsider.com/mb/showthread.php?t=115817)

Will Vandervort 08-19-2019 05:42 AM

Monday Morning Quarterback
 
With season opener approaching, Tigers have little depth on defense

TigerPoss 08-19-2019 06:57 AM

Re: Monday Morning Quarterback
 
quote from Coach Venables: "guys are growing up fast and we are baptizing them every day". Great Line|

dgpegues 08-19-2019 09:03 AM

Re: Monday Morning Quarterback
 
Does anyone track snaps on the depth chart?

I would if I had the time...would be cool to see exactly how much actual game experience each player has under their belt.

Tiggershark 08-19-2019 09:45 AM

Re: Monday Morning Quarterback
 
I know you can look at ESPN games stats and player breakdown and it will show you but as you said, it comes down to time.

Clemsonfan1364 08-19-2019 10:10 AM

Re: Monday Morning Quarterback
 
They'll find several more guys to play. You've got 5 at DE, 4 at DT, LB is thin...period, plenty at safety, and ok numbers at corner.

The lack of depth is being oversold a bit. I don't see the front 4 being as good as last year, but we looked way more athletic in the spring. We'll find out very soon. I tend to think we're going to play some odd fronts to offset some of this and get more DB's on the field. Lots of pressures this year. This will be a fun group to grow because there is a lot of talent.

Tiger80 08-19-2019 10:47 AM

Re: Monday Morning Quarterback
 
Note to self - stop reading articles by Will that indicate, suggest, or imply the defense will struggle!

Tiger80 08-19-2019 10:53 AM

Re: Monday Morning Quarterback
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgpegues (Post 571054)
Does anyone track snaps on the depth chart?

I would if I had the time...would be cool to see exactly how much actual game experience each player has under their belt.

I’ve wondered that simply because they Power Rangers did not play 100% of the time.

Gvegastiger49 08-19-2019 04:21 PM

Re: Monday Morning Quarterback
 
I'm nervous as heck about our defense this year. They are going to be tested in games 2 and 3. It's sinking in how much we lost from last year. In BV I trust, but he's not God so there's going to be some dropoff. I hope this is just a lot of motivational talk bc it's got me worried.

DeathValleyMike 08-19-2019 05:24 PM

Re: Monday Morning Quarterback
 
I am getting a sneaky suspicion that the coaching staff is downplaying and negative in almost every interview because they have a bunch of hyper talented guys that they want to keep grounded!

tigerpawgt 08-19-2019 06:34 PM

Re: Monday Morning Quarterback
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gvegastiger49 (Post 571126)
I'm nervous as heck about our defense this year. They are going to be tested in games 2 and 3. It's sinking in how much we lost from last year. In BV I trust, but he's not God so there's going to be some dropoff. I hope this is just a lot of motivational talk bc it's got me worried.

You are not alone. Sometimes youíre left with a mix of Jimmies and Joes that just arenít what you need. This might be Coach Venables most stressful season in awhile, but thatís why they pay him top dollar.

Tiger80 08-19-2019 07:15 PM

Re: Monday Morning Quarterback
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathValleyMike (Post 571132)
I am getting a sneaky suspicion that the coaching staff is downplaying and negative in almost every interview because they have a bunch of hyper talented guys that they want to keep grounded!

I hope you are right. Another article on TCI says Dabo feels good about DT.

Will Vandervort 08-19-2019 08:08 PM

Re: Monday Morning Quarterback
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiger80 (Post 571066)
Note to self - stop reading articles by Will that indicate, suggest, or imply the defense will struggle!

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just reporting what I am being told.

Venables said he has 15 guys that are ready to play (as of Thursday). That is not me saying it, that was the DC.

Also, Swinney has said the DTs have played well. He likes where Tyler Davis and Xavier Kelly are as backups. The Tigers are also okay at defensive end.

However, the concern is at linebacker.

They're not worried about the first-team defense. They're worried about depth right now. A lot of guys got banged up in camp and are not ready to play and that is their concern heading into the season.

Now, as I have wrote several times, they feel good about the talent they have on defense, there is just a lot of inexperienced players. By the end of the year, this defense will be deeper and better.

But, like Venables said, right now depth is an issue.

Tiger80 08-20-2019 12:08 AM

Re: Monday Morning Quarterback
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Vandervort (Post 571148)
Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just reporting what I am being told.

Venables said he has 15 guys that are ready to play (as of Thursday). That is not me saying it, that was the DC.

Also, Swinney has said the DTs have played well. He likes where Tyler Davis and Xavier Kelly is as backups. The Tigers are also okay at defensive end.

However, the concern is at linebacker.

They're not worried about the first-team defense. They're worried about depth right now. A lot of guys got banged up in camp and are not ready to play and that is their concern heading into the season.

Now, as I have wrote several times, they feel good about the talent they have on defense, there is just a lot of inexperienced players. By the end of the year, this defense will be deeper and better.

But, like Venables said, right now depth is an issue.

It's about timing. I was feeling better about defense then I read your article about depth. I was happy in my ignorance. Sometimes I'd prefer not to be well informed :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.