The Clemson Insider Forums

The Clemson Insider Forums (http://forums.theclemsoninsider.com/mb/index.php)
-   The Rock (http://forums.theclemsoninsider.com/mb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jefferie Gibson leaving Clemson (http://forums.theclemsoninsider.com/mb/showthread.php?t=55741)

Will Vandervort 01-20-2016 03:40 PM

Jefferie Gibson leaving Clemson

TCI has confirmed with multiple sources that safety Jefferie Gibson is leaving Clemson and will transfer to another school.

A source told us the redshirt freshman is leaving school due to "bad advice."

Gibson's departure is a surprise blow to a Clemson secondary that lost three starters to the NFL last week. Juniors Mackensie Alexander, Jayron Kearse and T.J. Green all decided to forgo their senior seasons to enter the NFL Draft.

Gibson, 6-4, 210, was expected to compete with Jadar Johnson and Van Smith for playing time this spring. Last summer, he was constantly brought up by the Clemson coaches, especially by head coach Dabo Swinney, as they raved about the safety following practices.

Once source confirmed the coaches were taken by total surprise, and that they felt like he was going to be able to compete for serious playing time in 2016.

Another source told us Gibson just told the coaches he wanted to transfer and did not give a real reason as to why.

We asked our sources if there was any way Swinney might be able to persuade Gibson to reconsider and we were told, "No." They said Gibson had already made up his mind.

TigerNE 01-20-2016 03:42 PM

Re: Jefferie Gibson leaving Clemson

Bad advice? More like horrendous advice.

reynolds 01-20-2016 03:45 PM

Which WR, LB and/or running back is most likely to convert?

Jadar is solid.
Chad Smith is solid.
Korin Wiggins is solid.
We hope Tanner Muse can play. He would be a big safety.

Need some more depth.

Art of the Tiger 01-20-2016 03:45 PM

Geez, wtf.

dgpegues 01-20-2016 03:46 PM

Bad advice from who?

Bad advice that brought him to Clemson?
Bad advice that led him to a mistake?
Bad advice to leave?

Will Vandervort 01-20-2016 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgpegues (Post 341766)
Bad advice from who?

Bad advice to leave?

We were not told who told him that, but whoever it was gave him the advice to leave Clemson and to transfer to another school.

Jonathan4jc 01-20-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgpegues (Post 341766)
Bad advice from who?

Bad advice to leave?

My thought process as well with that statement. I certainly expect TCI to respect any privacy issues, but the "bad advice" portion can be construed to mean several things.

One thing is for sure, he is missing out on what appears to be a golden opportunity to really get some serious playing time next year.

While the transfer is perplexing, I do wish him the best as he transitions elsewhere.

Jonathan4jc 01-20-2016 03:59 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Will.

Will Vandervort 01-20-2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan4jc (Post 341769)
Thanks for the clarification, Will.

No problem!

OrangeCrush 01-20-2016 04:03 PM

Who in the hell besides a relative would this guy listen to. Damn TJ Green now Gibson...something is not right.

TigerNE 01-20-2016 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCrush (Post 341773)
Who in the hell besides a relative would this guy listen to. Damn TJ Green now Gibson...something is not right.

Yeah, agree. Someone within the program would know his chances to win a 1 or 2 slot. Anybody outside the program would be clueless. It's even worse that he loses a year. Horrible advice.

TigerNE 01-20-2016 04:11 PM

Could there be a coach on another team trying to poach him and giving him this "advice"? It will be interesting to see where he lands and how quickly.

OrangeCrush 01-20-2016 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerNE (Post 341777)
Could there be a coach on another team trying to poach him and giving him this "advice"? It will be interesting to see where he lands and how quickly.

If its another school/coach poaching we have the right to turn down/ not release a transfer to that said school correct?

Judge Keller 01-20-2016 04:50 PM

This makes no sense whatsoever.

andsckoa 01-20-2016 05:12 PM

I guess I am confused. If I understand Will's comment "We were not told who told him that, but whoever it was gave him the advice to leave Clemson and to transfer to another school.", someone else suggested he leave and he's going.

If he has not gone to class this semester, and he thinks he got bad advice to leave CU, then why not stay?

Help me get it please!

Selway 01-20-2016 05:12 PM

Not good news. We were already iffy at S/NB. This is very odd - sort of like the Korie Rogers departure.

Not sure what we will do at safety. Muse may have outgrown the position. Shadell Bell could be an option, but he may not want to move, and I'm not sure ehe has the speed. Denzel Johnson or Fields are the only corners with the size to play safety. We need to land the remaining targets on our recruiting board, and hope they can play early.

OrangeCrush 01-20-2016 05:23 PM

Somebody answer me this, will the safety transfer from ETSU have to sit out a year?

jlcu91 01-20-2016 05:32 PM

Well bye

Hale McGranahan 01-20-2016 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCrush (Post 341790)
Somebody answer me this, will the safety transfer from ETSU have to sit out a year?

I believe so, yes.

Easley Tiger 01-20-2016 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hale McGranahan (Post 341793)
I believe so, yes.

Wasn't the etsu player going to be a walkon?