The Clemson Insider Forums

The Clemson Insider Forums (http://forums.theclemsoninsider.com/mb/index.php)
-   The Rock (http://forums.theclemsoninsider.com/mb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Haven't seen it mentioned (Closing Fike Pool) (http://forums.theclemsoninsider.com/mb/showthread.php?t=113554)

Nebula 06-19-2019 07:46 PM

Haven't seen it mentioned (Closing Fike Pool)

Maybe I missed the thread but the search didn't turn anything up.

Clemson plans to close the Fike pool permanently. I am pretty bummed Clemson is doing this. I also don't buy their reasoning.

I don't see why Clemson wants to be the only school in the ACC without a pool. Getting rid of the scholarship swim team I believe was blamed on Title IX. Clemson can absolutely afford to keep the pool open for the club team and all the people use it for health and exercise.

Robert Thorne MacRae 06-19-2019 08:30 PM

Re: Haven't seen it mentioned (Closing Fike Pool)

Yeah, that is too bad. Barb would certainly have something to say about it.

For the prices Clemson charges students these days they really need to create a better fitness facility. Auburn's is awesome.

TX Tiger 06-19-2019 09:31 PM

I donít think officially cutting swimming was related to Title IX since it created a + in womenís scholarships. From what I recall, the pool was in bad shape and was going to cost a lot to get it fixed (I seem to recall it wasnít an Olympic size pool either but I may be wrong). Personally I think they just didnít want to spend the money to repair the pool and fund the program - scholarships, coaches, travel, etc.

URR29 06-20-2019 05:19 AM

Hadn't heard this. Former swimmer here. Won't go into that here now. Is there another ACC/SEC school that does not have a pool on campus? I have been to other campuses. student centers have pools. And lot's of other amenities. U of SC has a couple of pools. The Thurmond center is pretty amazing. Clemson has nothing like that to my knowledge.

In the scheme of things, keeping an existing 8 lane, 25 yard pool open is not that big of a cost. There was an issue years ago, the last year they had the swim team, but I thought they fixed that.

Olympic sized pools are 50 meters in length. Our pool is 25 yards which is what NCAA competes in. Short course in fall/winter is 25 yards. Long course during summer in 50 meter pools. There are larger meets, international meets that compete in the 50 meter pool during the short course season.

Nebula 06-20-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX Tiger (Post 564176)
I donít think officially cutting swimming was related to Title IX since it created a + in womenís scholarships. From what I recall, the pool was in bad shape and was going to cost a lot to get it fixed (I seem to recall it wasnít an Olympic size pool either but I may be wrong). Personally I think they just didnít want to spend the money to repair the pool and fund the program - scholarships, coaches, travel, etc.

It wasn't a money issue for the pool originally.

When they got rid of the swim team, they also said they were going to close to pool for cost reasons.

I know a booster showed up with a checkbook asking how much it would cost to keep the swim team. They said it wasn't a money thing and rejected the offer from the booster. Said booster has nothing to do with Clemson anymore because she knew they were being dishonest about what and why they were doing what they were doing.

If there are maintenance issues, fix it. Fike actually just spent a HUGE amount of their budget putting new pumps and equipment in just last year.

We will legit be probably the only school in the ACC and SEC without a pool. Makes zero sense.

mezmrin 06-20-2019 10:34 AM

Sad! I've been swimming in those pools since I was 5 (1981)

Nebula 06-20-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mezmrin (Post 564204)
Sad! I've been swimming in those pools since I was 5 (1981)

I urge everyone to email the BOD and the President if you think Clemson shouldn't change their direction.

Unfortunately, Clemson isn't going to listen to the student body on this. Money talks.

Tiger80 06-20-2019 06:36 PM

I canít imagine an intramural recreation center without a swimming pool.

mezmrin 06-21-2019 09:25 AM

Our summertime workouts while in school were always finished with a few laps in the pool!

Gavin Oliver 06-21-2019 11:59 AM

Here's the latest

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here's the latest update on the temporary closure of Fike pool ⤵️</p>&mdash; Clemson University (@ClemsonUniv) <a href="https://twitter.com/ClemsonUniv/status/1142085263113383936?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 21, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TX Tiger 06-21-2019 12:49 PM

Make no mistake it is always about the money. If money weren’t a factor then Clemson would have a lot more sports. Perhaps the repair was something that could be funded but with about 30 scholarships (between M/W swimming/diving) the $1.5- $2 million annual recurring cost (my guesstimate) to run the program is likely a bit tougher.

Judge Keller 06-21-2019 12:54 PM

Based on the most recent release from Clemson, it sounds like it's a temporary pool closure and not a permanent one. Maybe we should wait for more details before freaking out about how we will not have a pool on campus and how horrible this is compared to other ACC and SEC schools.

URR29 06-22-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Keller (Post 564351)
Based on the most recent release from Clemson, it sounds like it's a temporary pool closure and not a permanent one. Maybe we should wait for more details before freaking out about how we will not have a pool on campus and how horrible this is compared to other ACC and SEC schools.

Yep. Big difference between closing permanently and shutting down for repairs.

Robert Thorne MacRae 06-23-2019 06:14 AM

You would think when out of state students are paying over 50K they would have the $$$. The school needs to do some serious looking at how they spend their money. I know of several departments where I wonder why in the world does the university need that many people.

whitiger 06-24-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Keller (Post 564351)

Then again if the local paper reports its closing without plans to reopen, Greenville News, perhaps its OK to respond with views now and maybe there was a lot of response and maybe admin was testing the waters so to speak and what might have been a closure is now being reported as a two week repair job.