Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2021, 04:35 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Could this Clemson team bring home another national championship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
We get a false sense of our performance by the opposition we play in the ACC. Iron sharpens iron. Most of the ACC teams are not iron.
The ACC and most other conferences are not iron. I recall when we struggled to finish in the middle of the ACC. FSU blew us out annually. Clemson evaluated their game. Our OL is not the same this year as last but guess some have no faith...
Old 04-08-2021, 07:13 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
We get a false sense of our performance by the opposition we play in the ACC. Iron sharpens iron. Most of the ACC teams are not iron.
I understand your point, but Clemson did recently win two national championships while playing in the ACC and 2018 was arguably worse than 2019 in conference play.

I know where you are going, but to me it always comes down to who has the better players and who executes the best. LSU executed better in 2019 and Ohio State was simply better in 2020. I don't think it has anything to do with who Clemson played during the regular season as to why Clemson lost those games.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:54 AM
Ring of Honor

For me itís not the conference play that hinders winning it. Itís that the conference play boosts the stats. They come into the playoffs with top 10 offense and defensive rankings when our own eyes have been telling us when they run into a team with elite talent we arenít going to able to run our offense (RB rushing) or get stops on defense when needed. I also think it gives cover for the coaches not to get serious about changes in scheme. They say we had a great season but just didnít play well for one or two games. We know those one or two games are real indicators for what is no longer working.

2019 is the perfect example. Clemson escaped that game against the Buckeyes, then got run over by LSU. Change was needed after that playoff, but to be fair Covid derailed the prep for 2020 and everything else going on. Thus, now is the time to move forward with refreshing the schemes on both offense and defense. The regular season will be the time to perfect those changes.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:16 AM
NFL Tiger

This. I think we can win a NT while playing the ACC. That isn't the problem. The problem is playing in the ACC masks our deficiencies somewhat. Stats can be inflated and coaches can talk about how well we ran the ball during the season and we just didn't play well against OSU. When the reality is likely somewhat different. The reality is that our OL sucked, but was still serviceable against the ACC, and then got destroyed by OSU. We had 44 rushing yards meanwhile OSU ran for 254. Bc our OL sucked. Let's not sugar coat it. It sucked. Even in our titles it wasn't a strength. It was serviceable and it certainly was a net positive, but I wouldn't say it was particularly strong. I'd like to think that for one year we could put together a starting OL that was dominant. But when was the last time we had a group of 5 guys that you know can pick up a 3rd and 3. That you can count on to push it in on 4th and goal from the 2. I can't remember the last time we had that.

That is the biggest thing that is keeping us from the elite level. It's very frustrating as a fan, bc you could see this coming from miles away based on our OL recruiting and development 3-4 years ago. We should never take less than 4 OL a year. Never. It's too important and we did it and poor TLaw and ET, generational talents, suffered for it.