Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2021, 09:40 PM
Scholarship Player

Default RB Rotation

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the running back rotation for this season? We have an excellent stable of backs but I feel like whoever is the best pass blocker will get the most playing time because we have to keep DJ healthy. I also don’t see many designed QB runs during the regular season to try and keep him fresh. Any idea on who’s the best pass blocker?
Old 04-07-2021, 10:46 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: RB Rotation

That's a great question! Heck it could be the one with the most experience which I imagine would be Rencher. Can Lynn J be that guy and can break it when needed or is there for the taking? Or maybe a bigger back? Can CTE simplify to not put too much on and use the talent effectively? I am hoping that we can increase the tempo and get the ball out of the backfield quicker. We should have the speed to do that. Just gotta keep Ds honest and keep them out of the box as much as we can. We have plenty of backs so I too am looking to see who and how we use and most importantly which ones step up. Great opportunities for our RBs to step up.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:23 AM
Ring of Honor

If we aren’t doing as much QB run, what would be wrong with more two RB sets? We lose a receiver? Not necessarily if Coach Elliott gets creative with our best pass catching RB (Shipley?) or brings the TE more into the passing game. They should go back to the Davis/Spiller era and look at those plays. Coach Spiller can help teach the RBs the things he did at Clemson. Dabo talks about having the RBs for Thunder and Lightning 2.0, so go figure it out.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:03 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMITH2554 View Post
That's a great question! Heck it could be the one with the most experience which I imagine would be Rencher.
I appreciate Rencher’s efforts and leadership, but if this is the case we won’t win the ACC. Reacher is the least talented RB on the depth chart.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:11 AM
Way2tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
If we aren’t doing as much QB run, what would be wrong with more two RB sets? We lose a receiver? Not necessarily if Coach Elliott gets creative with our best pass catching RB (Shipley?) or brings the TE more into the passing game. They should go back to the Davis/Spiller era and look at those plays. Coach Spiller can help teach the RBs the things he did at Clemson. Dabo talks about having the RBs for Thunder and Lightning 2.0, so go figure it out.
I think cutting back on the QB runs is a good idea but we wondered the same thing with TL. I think they will continue to do as many QB runs as they have. "It's what we do". We tend to flex our personnel to meet our scheme rather than the other way around.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:29 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by talltiger83 View Post
I think cutting back on the QB runs is a good idea but we wondered the same thing with TL. I think they will continue to do as many QB runs as they have. "It's what we do". We tend to flex our personnel to meet our scheme rather than the other way around.
To me it seems like TE takes what the D gives.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:47 AM
NFL Tiger

In my opinion Kobe Pace will have a great opportunity to be the featured back during the first half of the season with Shipley coming on by the middle of the season. Mellusi will be in the rotation and make a playoff difference. I'm not counting on Lyn J to be healthy or Dukes to beat out any of those guys. The wild card will be how quickly Mafah picks up the system. That dude is a beast.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:13 PM
NFL Tiger

I think Lyn-J is the man with Pace and Mellusi exchanging the 2nd RB in roles.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:05 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds View Post
In my opinion Kobe Pace will have a great opportunity to be the featured back during the first half of the season with Shipley coming on by the middle of the season. Mellusi will be in the rotation and make a playoff difference. I'm not counting on Lyn J to be healthy or Dukes to beat out any of those guys. The wild card will be how quickly Mafah picks up the system. That dude is a beast.
This.

The freshman RBs need to grow up fast. I think Shipley will be starting by October. Mafah gets a lot of PT too.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:32 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by URR29 View Post
This.

The freshman RBs need to grow up fast. I think Shipley will be starting by October. Mafah gets a lot of PT too.
From what I saw on Saturday, Mafah is ahead of Shipley. Also, I don't think the freshmen need to grow up fast. Clemson seems to be pretty loaded with talent and I like Kobe Pace.