Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2019, 05:12 PM
TCI Staff

Default Does Clemson's big win over VT...

change your opinion of whether the Tigers will make it to the NCAA Tournament or not?
Old 02-09-2019, 05:52 PM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Default Re: Does Clemson's big win over VT...

still more work to do, but it certainly was a nice resume deposit.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Tiger Starter

I just keep thinking about that dang NCSt game. They’ve got the easier schedule down the stretch. I’m assuming 8 teams will make the tourney. So the question could be our RPI (or NET now days?) vs the head to head result. I bet it comes down to winning that first ACC tourney game. The Wolfies need to lose against Syracuse otherwise I expect they finish at 10-8 in conference.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:11 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
I just keep thinking about that dang NCSt game. They’ve got the easier schedule down the stretch. I’m assuming 8 teams will make the tourney. So the question could be our RPI (or NET now days?) vs the head to head result. I bet it comes down to winning that first ACC tourney game. The Wolfies need to lose against Syracuse otherwise I expect they finish at 10-8 in conference.
Clemson has an opportunity to finish 10-8 in the league as well. It needs to beat the teams it is supposed to beat. It is possible it can steal a game and get to 11-7, too.

There is still a lot of basketball to be played, but more importantly, it put itself back in contention and that is what you want right now.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Two Deep

I honestly thought this team was done when it lost to NC State....but it is a tribute to this coaching staff and these players now they have battled back and put themselves in a good position. I am having crow for lunch today...and it will taste good!!
Old 02-10-2019, 12:37 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Vandervort View Post
Clemson has an opportunity to finish 10-8 in the league as well. It needs to beat the teams it is supposed to beat. It is possible it can steal a game and get to 11-7, too.

There is still a lot of basketball to be played, but more importantly, it put itself back in contention and that is what you want right now.
I agree the Tigers could finish 10-8, and maybe VT continues to tumble given the injury situation. We mught have VT, NCSt, and Clemson all at 10-8. Does Clemson come out on top in the committee debate? Finishing 11-7 sure would be the best situation to ensure an invite.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:25 PM
NFL Tiger

When it comes down to head-to-head between the Tigers and the Woofies, only NCS has two HORRIBLE losses (Wake and the 24pt output versus VaTech).
The Hokies have a bad loss to Penn State early in the year.
Clemson has no bad losses yet for the season, knock on wood.

This team has their own destiny in their hands, which is the best you can ask for. Play the team in front of you to the best of your ability, and let the chips fall. Our power rankings are in the mid 30's right now, compared to the mid 60's from the end of last season.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:59 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Does Clemson's big win over VT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelongstroke View Post
When it comes down to head-to-head between the Tigers and the Woofies, only NCS has two HORRIBLE losses (Wake and the 24pt output versus VaTech).
The Hokies have a bad loss to Penn State early in the year.
Clemson has no bad losses yet for the season, knock on wood.

This team has their own destiny in their hands, which is the best you can ask for. Play the team in front of you to the best of your ability, and let the chips fall. Our power rankings are in the mid 30's right now, compared to the mid 60's from the end of last season.
+1
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 AM
Tiger Starter

This ESPN guy doesn’t even have us on the radar after Saturday’s win. What’s up with that?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas.../good-news-acc
Old 02-11-2019, 09:48 AM
Two Deep

I never doubted they'd make the tourney even after the NC State loss so the win doesn't change my mind. I think there is the potential for a bad loss at Miami given how they played the team in baby blue. I also think there is a good chance the team in baby blue is highly overrated.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
This ESPN guy doesn’t even have us on the radar after Saturday’s win. What’s up with that?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas.../good-news-acc
This guy is just a blithering idiot. Every other team around Clemson in the RPI and several below them are in the Bubble Watch. Lunardi had them on the "Next Four Out" before the Virginia Tech game.

I don't think the guy looks ahead at the schedule. Clemson started 1-5 in the ACC because of who they played and where they played them. No one should have been counting them out despite the start.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:05 AM
NFL Tiger

Before this recent winning streak, I had pretty much written the Tigers off, as far as making the Tourney goes. But the last 4 games is what makes me think there might be a chance, especially capping that off with the VT win on Saturday. It looks like the D is finding its stride a little, the outside shooting seems to have improved quite a bit from just a few weeks ago and when Thomas stays out of foul trouble, these Tigers look every bit like a Tourney team.

As Barb said, there's still a lot of work to do. But, we're certainly on the right track and if the recent success can gain some momentum, we'll see the Tigers playing in mid- to late-March.