Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > All In Recruiting
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2015, 12:52 PM
Former TCI Staff/Went to Dark Side

Default Camp Offer Eval - 2017 LB/S Baylon Spector

Spector did a lot of different things for Calhoun during last season's run to the Georgia Dome.

On the offensive side of the ball, Spector completed 25-of-38 passes for 447 yards with six touchdowns. He also had seven carries for 31 yards and caught four passes for 71 yards and three touchdowns.

At free safety and cornerback, he had 71 tackles and an interception. Based on what we've seen from his highlights, Spector's future looks the brightest on that side of the ball, more specifically as an outside linebacker, and that's assuming he can add some more weight to his 6-foot-2, 200-pound frame. Listed as a safety by 247 and Scout, Brent Venables told Spector that linebacker is his natural position.

If it was up to me, this guy would carry the label as an athlete. I think he could play a number of different positions in at the next level. If he's not an outside linebacker, safety would be the next best possibility.

Wide receiver is in his bloodlines. That's where his dad, Robbie, played at Clemson. Spector's cousin, Kris Durham, was a wide receiver at Georgia.

Though I don't necessarily see Spector as an elite-level wide receiver, he could play the position for some power-five schools.

Shoot, I'd be interested to see what kind of a quarterback he could be if it was a full-time position. In the state title game, he threw a 40-yard touchdown pass on a wide receiver reverse-pass.

At the Auburn camp, just a few days before the Clemson camp stop, Spector was said to run a 40 in the range of 4.5.

How Clemson and Duke are the only offers is a bit of a head-scratcher, even though he his just a rising junior. Then again, Clemson hadn't expressed any interest in Spector before he showed up for camp.

Perhaps others are waiting to see some early clips from the upcoming season. Or they're not exactly certain of which position he'd play. Or maybe he's still flying under the radar.

e-mail: hale@theclemsoninsider.com