Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Owner, Publisher

Default Thoughts on seeding, regional

We got to watch the selection show with the team earlier today. Here are a few things we saw and some thoughts on the seedings and Clemson regional.

- First there was no reaction from Clemson when they were announced at the No. 10 seed. There was a little reaction when North Carolina's seeding was announced.

- The biggest reaction of the day from the team was when Ray Tanner talked about Clemson's seeding and why the Tigers were not ahead of North Carolina. Coach Lee and his team were not happy with how things went down today. Publically they said all of the right things afterwards in the interviews, but they were not pleased. Tanner's comments didn't help the situation.

- We got word last night that North Carolina was a concern and that they might get the nod over Clemson. There are plenty of numbers to justify either way, but the Tigers sure felt they deserved it over the Heels.

- Florida State slipped more than I expected. If you saw our article last night you know we said that Clemson would be seeded somewhere between No. 7 and No. 10. They ended up on the back end of that. I did not think that FSU would be that high of a seed and end up being Clemson's destinatiion if both win their regionals. That will be a tough Super Regional to get through if that is what happens. I've been down there four times now to see the Clemson series in the regular season. There fans are some of the best baseball fans you will find anywhere and the chants will come throughout the game.

- The draw in the Clemson regional is going to be a difficult one but it certainly could have been worse. Vanderbilt didn't have the best season, but they have one of the top coaches in college baseball and he knows how to win at Clemson in Doug Kingsmore stadium. Morehead State can put some runs on the board and will be a tough first game. We will have a much more in-depth look this week of the opponents in Clemson's regional.

- Expect the team and coaches to be playing the regional with a chip on their shoulder.

- The Tigers will need to find a way to score in the regional without it being off a home run. Corbin will have Vandy ready to do that. Clemson will need to be able to pitch well and manufacture a few runs and win at leas one low scoring game.

- Clemson's bullpen has been a strength this year and the last month. They will need them to pitch better this weekend than they did against FSU on Saturday.

- The weather this week in Clemson will not be helpful as the team prepares for the regional. That was one of Monte's biggest concern and is a real one. It will be difficult to find times to practice outside this week. I can tell you there is already some thoughts about trying to go somewhere else this week to get some outdoor practice in.

- As Monte said in his interview today the next step for Clemson is to win a regional. That next step needs to happen this season. This is a regional the Tigers should win if they play well.

- The leadership on the team will be critical this week. Beer, Williams, Wharton, Cromwell and the others need to play well when it counts the most.

- College baseball is all about what happens in June. This team can make some noise now or they can be another team to make a regional and then head home. Hopefully we are planning a trip to Florida State next week.

Last edited by Robert Thorne MacRae; 05-28-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:22 PM
Travel Team

Default Re: Thoughts on seeding, regional

Ok, so Tigers are 5-9 against the ranked opponents. But did the committee even look at their performance in Acc tournament? Clemson's better won/ loss record? 22-8 regular season conference record? I say conspiracy with Tanner being selection committee chairman!!!
And again, Tigers get hosed by the tarheels. Hate everything USCand U N C!
Old 05-28-2018, 03:22 PM
NFL Tiger

Like everyone else, Iím bummed we didnít get a National seed, but at the end of the day, it doesnít matter if you donít make it out of your own regional. I think Vandy isnít a bad draw as a 2. Iíd take them over Auburn or LSU.

Bottom line is we need to take care of business this weekend and not worry about the seeding.

And Ray Tanner is who we thought he was.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:32 PM
Ring of Honor

I chuckled a little when Tanner talked about us too.

I also found it interesting when the host said to him that it seemed to matter a little more this year than others for teams who finished well in conference rather than the whole body of work. Well what school does that statement seem to fit and favor?
Old 05-28-2018, 08:26 PM
Scholarship Player

I don't think it's that automatic that FSU wins their regional.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:10 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynes View Post
I don't think it's that automatic that FSU wins their regional.
I don't either.