Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2021, 06:26 AM
Founder/Publisher

Default Justyn Ross is the slot

It sounds like we will see that more this season. It is also clear from Dabo's comments last night that the Tigers will do whatever they need to get Ross the football. That puts a smile on my face.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:14 AM
Way2tall

Default Re: Justyn Ross is the slot

That doesn't make sense to me. With his height, range and speed why put him in the slot? Is it an interim step as he works himself back in shape?
Old 03-02-2021, 08:38 AM
Two Deep

I think itís probably the ď Tigers will do whatever they need to get Ross the footballĒ philosophy that makes it a good move. Last year Bama lined Devonta Smith up at every position except long snapper. Looks like we are adopting Sarkesianís main play calling strategy FTS - Feed The Stud.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:00 AM
Founder/Publisher

Yeah, I was hoping Tony Elliott was taking notes in the national championship game.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:24 AM
Ring of Honor

I was hoping Spector would lock down the slot with hands of glue. No problem if this is a way to get Ross into better match ups or more creative route trees. However, if heís there to become their best 3rd down possession receiver then Iím not sure heís being utilized to the max.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:57 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Justyn Ross is the slot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
I was hoping Spector would lock down the slot with hands of glue. No problem if this is a way to get Ross into better match ups or more creative route trees. However, if heís there to become their best 3rd down possession receiver then Iím not sure heís being utilized to the max.
Yep.

Mike Williams was just fine as Mr. Reliable on the Outside.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:52 PM
Travel Team

I think this might be a good move early on to see if ngata, ladson, williams or one of the collins kid can
Take the reign at other two spots. I really didnt think spector would be a play maker base on what i saw of him last year. Maybe the coach did too. However if the others are not solid at the two spots i can see him going back to 9 and maybe that give stelatto time to win the slot position. I really like his highschool film. Very fast.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:19 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by talltiger83 View Post
That doesn't make sense to me. With his height, range and speed why put him in the slot? Is it an interim step as he works himself back in shape?
Why? Did you guys not see how Alabama used Smith last year. Though Ross is bigger than Smith, his speed, height, size and ability to cut in the open field will allow Clemson to create matchup issues all day.

Either a linebacker, safety or nickel guy will have to cover Ross, instead of a 6-2 corner who can jump out of building. This is a smart move.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:46 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Vandervort View Post
Why? Did you guys not see how Alabama used Smith last year. Though Ross is bigger than Smith, his speed, height, size and ability to cut in the open field will allow Clemson to create matchup issues all day.

Either a linebacker, safety or nickel guy will have to cover Ross, instead of a 6-2 corner who can jump out of building. This is a smart move.
Do you think this was a smart move making it public?

Now teams can prepare for this...
Old 03-03-2021, 11:51 AM
Ring of Honor

I wouldnít mind having him there some but I wouldnít want him to be a full time slot receiver. I donít think he has the speed or quickness to be dominant there. Getting a matchup against a smaller corner or LB potentially here and there but thatís about it.