Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2019, 08:01 PM
Tiger Starter

Default The ACC will cost the Tigers this year!

The hideous condition of ACC football will be a detriment to positioning in the playoff this year.
The way the four letter sounding board is endorsing Bama I donít think Clemson keeps the #1 ranking till the end.

It will make a huge difference in where the Tigers play and therefore itís a big deal.
The Tigers better clean up the offensive woes quick and hope UNC can remain undefeated till we get there.

If the Tigers can remain #1 it will dictate whether I can make it and the same for many other fans
Old 09-15-2019, 08:08 PM
Travel Team

Default Re: The ACC will cost the Tigers this year!

Did you watch the Bama defense yesterday? That team isn't going undefeated. Finish 12-0 and we'll end up the 1 seed. Ohio State is the bigger threat to the #1 seed in my opinion. They look like they've fixed their defensive woes and Fields has that offense humming.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:26 PM
Travel Team

I predict UNC won't be undefeated when we play them in 2 weeks

(Since they already lost to Wake )
Old 09-15-2019, 08:43 PM
Tiger Starter

I disagree, at least this point in the season, even Bama is showing major chinks and have played nobody as has been the case with everyone but auburn to this point. We have another one next week with GA and ND but no one has showed any better against any better teams than we have thus far.

They can toot the Bama horn all they want but Bamas looking at getting beat by any of the three of GA, LSU or Auburn if not taking a couple of losses

We are inconsistent on offense and that will change. I don’t see being dropped if we are winning by 30+ per game no matter the lack of competition.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:27 PM
Ring of Honor

Can we wait longer than 3 games before making these kinds of proclamations? Let it play out a bit.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:36 PM
Owner, Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathValleyMike View Post
The hideous condition of ACC football will be a detriment to positioning in the playoff this year.
The way the four letter sounding board is endorsing Bama I donít think Clemson keeps the #1 ranking till the end.

It will make a huge difference in where the Tigers play and therefore itís a big deal.
The Tigers better clean up the offensive woes quick and hope UNC can remain undefeated till we get there.

If the Tigers can remain #1 it will dictate whether I can make it and the same for many other fans
We were discussing this on our trip. I agree that it may be hard to hold No. 1.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:04 PM
The Gambler - Charter Member - Clemson Insider - Gate Veteran

I wouldnít hold my breath on UNC remaining unbeaten
Old 09-16-2019, 04:39 AM
Ring of Honor

There is a lot that can happen in the next 6 weeks when the rankings come out. Every year people assume there wonít be upsets alongthe way. Clemson may not be the top ranked team (in the 1st CFP ranking) but people should let it play out before spending time worrying about things you have no control over.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:31 AM
Tiger Starter

The top seeded team has never won the championship so why are you worried? Out two recent championships came as a two seed. Based on history we would be better off dropping a spot
Old 09-16-2019, 07:01 AM
Tiger Starter

Disagree completely. There was a time when the Tigers needed the help of a strong conference. Now we have the brand and reputation, not to mention passing the "eye test" week in and week out. Win and we hold #1, period.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:03 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsson View Post
The top seeded team has never won the championship so why are you worried? Out two recent championships came as a two seed. Based on history we would be better off dropping a spot
Being seeded 1st seeded gets to choose first round playoff location which would be Atlanta or AZ. Obviously Peach Bowl would be much better for Clemson fans.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:25 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsonfan1364 View Post
Can we wait longer than 3 games before making these kinds of proclamations? Let it play out a bit.
The Tigers will go undefeated and make the playoff.

But ESPN ( runs college football) has the top 5 stacked with SEC teams.

The SEC EAst is as bad as the ACC so UGA is a shoein!
If Bama does lose you it will be to LSU.
With a Bama win over LSU or LSU over Bama either team will jump Clemson for #1.
It would be nice to play the semi in Atlanta.

Making the playoff is the biggest deal. The point if the post is that there will be even more Tiger fans including me in Atlanta.
We’re fans, we don’t have to let the season play out. We just enjoy it.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:33 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger68 View Post
Being seeded 1st seeded gets to choose first round playoff location which would be Atlanta or AZ. Obviously Peach Bowl would be much better for Clemson fans.
It's definitely closer, but that will mean that the ticket prices will be higher. Tickets + flights may be cheaper in AZ... depending on who we play.

But, I think we'll continue to blow teams out by 30+ and dominate the weaker competition. That will be enough to keep #1 in lock, IMO.

I also think Bama will drop at least 1. I honestly think they may be in danger of losing 2, missing the SECCG and the playoffs. LSU, Awbarn, & A&M will be tough outs for Bama. I really do think they could lose 2 of those games. Their D is not that deep and a little suspect. USUCK was able to move the ball on them and ran 86 plays. If Jumbo can get his O rolling, Mond and co. could rattle off over 90 plays and wear down that D. And, their D is pretty good and could slow Tua. Same could be said for Awbarn's D and LSU's O now has a passing attack that could actually do some damage to Bama. Who knows? Anything can happen.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:49 AM
Tiger Starter

I hope Bama LSU Auburn UGA all have one loss. ND tOSU Okie and Clemson all go undefeated so SEC stays home. The SEC fanboys would lose their collective minds.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:04 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathValleyMike View Post

ESPN has nothing to do with the rankings. They are just talking heads.

Btw, the Tigers have increased in the number of first place votes all three weeks thus far. Clemson has a good enough reputation that it does not have to worry about what the rest of the league is doing.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:16 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walhalla2Atlanta View Post
It's definitely closer, but that will mean that the ticket prices will be higher. Tickets + flights may be cheaper in AZ... depending on who we play.

But, I think we'll continue to blow teams out by 30+ and dominate the weaker competition. That will be enough to keep #1 in lock, IMO.

I also think Bama will drop at least 1. I honestly think they may be in danger of losing 2, missing the SECCG and the playoffs. LSU, Awbarn, & A&M will be tough outs for Bama. I really do think they could lose 2 of those games. Their D is not that deep and a little suspect. USUCK was able to move the ball on them and ran 86 plays. If Jumbo can get his O rolling, Mond and co. could rattle off over 90 plays and wear down that D. And, their D is pretty good and could slow Tua. Same could be said for Awbarn's D and LSU's O now has a passing attack that could actually do some damage to Bama. Who knows? Anything can happen.
I was thinking the other day, with how many programs have upped their recruiting lately from within Bamaís general footprint [from the Southeast all the way through Texas], I wonder if thatís leeched enough into their own recruiting to make a noticeable dent on the field despite it not really showing up in the recruiting ďrankingsĒ.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:41 PM
NFL Tiger

Being 1-4 in the final CFP ranking is largely irrelevant to me. The important thing is being part of it.

I get the desire to play the 1st round in Atlanta. It makes sense for a fan perspective in travel.

FANS DON'T PLAY THE GAMES

If Hotlanta is that important, root for being the 4th seed so we can wear those white jerseys two more times. Thinking "it's number one or bust" comes off as being exceptionally spoiled at this point in the season.

Let's not be spoiled, please.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:04 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelongstroke View Post
Being 1-4 in the final CFP ranking is largely irrelevant to me. The important thing is being part of it.

I get the desire to play the 1st round in Atlanta. It makes sense for a fan perspective in travel.

FANS DON'T PLAY THE GAMES

If Hotlanta is that important, root for being the 4th seed so we can wear those white jerseys two more times. Thinking "it's number one or bust" comes off as being exceptionally spoiled at this point in the season.

Let's not be spoiled, please.
I didnít in any way mean #1 or bust. Nor did I say that.🙄
The seeding choice at#1 works out better as a fan. Nothing to do with the money. Itís more about the time. Owning 2 businesses and being away for 3-4 days is a killer.
Just making the playoff again is awesome, and we should never forget that!

I still remember the sting of 3-8 in 98! Look at the Tigers now!

I think this run has everyone a bit spoiled.
Listening to the small number of fans complaining Ning about the offense and Trevorís Heisman hopes after crushing everyone so far proves that.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:08 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Vandervort View Post
ESPN has nothing to do with the rankings. They are just talking heads.

Btw, the Tigers have increased in the number of first place votes all three weeks thus far. Clemson has a good enough reputation that it does not have to worry about what the rest of the league is doing.
Listen to those “talking heads” and watch the actions of the committee.

When Bammer , LSU and UGA get to the meat of the schedule.
Strength will upend Clemson seeding and the findings of the committee will mirror Herbie and the rest of ESPN. It always does.

Example: https://forums.theclemsoninsider.com...d.php?t=117147

Is it a huge deal? No. That wasn’t my point. My point was simply seedlings and fan travel. Geez!��

Last edited by DeathValleyMike; 09-17-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:22 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Your words

You know that Cheezit commercial... "It isn't about you, Cheese"!

I was a Tiger fan the night Butler caught that pass from Fuller, so the memory of Tommy West's final season isn't that hard to dredge up.

That is why I am begging everyone (even said please) to take a step back and simply enjoy the season. What the CFP committee does when they get the chance is completely out of our control. There's no point in worrying about it until the final ranking comes out after the conference championship games are played. That is the ONLY ONE of those rankings that truly matters.

footnote: I didn't call you out, though your reaction leads me to believe you felt that way. I'm going to enjoy the rest of the season, hope you can as well.