Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Clemson Insider

Default Question for Robert?

Hey Robert, I noticed that you picked Clemson to win 10 or more games in your poll question. I also picked that, but that was all heart. Can you give us a few reasons as to why you think we can go 10-3 or better next fall? Man that would be an awesome way to start the Dabo Era!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Owner, Publisher

Default Re: Question for Robert?

Be glad to give you some reasons. I will be writing more about this over the next few months, but here is my current thinking. Obviously this can change with injuries or other things as we move through spring practice and August practices.

I have always thought that this team would be better in 2009 than 2008. It's really as simple as quickly going over the depth chart. The Depth Tracker is a good tool to use for this, located under Football on the top menu.

On offense even though we lose JD, we should be better at RB. Ellington is a stud and will surprise many people. Harper will play 15 pounds or more lighter and will show why I gave him the name "Silver Tuna" coming out of high school. And I think everyone can see that CJ getting more of the carries is a major plus.

At QB, we don't have experience, but I think we will be much more talented. Whether it is Korn or Parker, or even Boyd I think they QB play will be better than what we saw in 2008. I also think having a mobile QB will help the offense a great deal. Have said that for 2 years as many of you know.

Offensive line, there is no question that it should be much better than 2008. We have some serious depth coming back. They struggled at times last year as many know, but will more experience and so much depth built up this line should be a major improvement.

At WR you have to be concerned about the loss of Kelly and Grisham. Ford showed that year that he is becoming a much better receiver. From a talent standpoint Marquan Jones is an upgrade over Grisham and Xavier Dye and Jaron Brown will do a good job filling the spot vacated by Kelly. Brown may be the best athlete among the receivers. And don't forget BrYce McNeal. I expect him to see some playing time this fall.

At TE we bring back Barry and Palmer and we now have Dwayne Allen who may be the best of the bunch. I also expect to see Taylor at TE a good bit, where he should have played from day 1.

So from the summary above you can see that the offense should be improved in 2009.

On defense it is a similar story. We should be much better at LB, with an experienced set of LB's back. Connor and Maye should have big seasons. The only question mark will be seeing who can take the SAM position as McDaniel slides back to safety.

As for the DE's obviously they should be even better. Bowers should be even more dominate this fall. It is a money year for Sapp so expect bigger things from him and Alexander really came on in the latter part of the season. Great depth with Brown, Branch and maybe Goodman.

At DT we lose two veterans, but return players with better overall talent. I think we all saw last year that Brandon Thompson is going to be a helluva DT. Expect even bigger things from him this fall. Jenkins has dropped a few pounds and should play even better than what he showed in spurts last year. The depth is fine with Moore, Chavis and others.

At corner, Clemson may have the best set in the league. Chancellor and Butler coming back leaves that position in great shape. The big question will be can Gilchrist or Maxwell overtake Butler and who moves to safety.

I expect to see Maxwell move to safety and he could be the next Dawkins coming out of Clemson. He came on big time late last year and showed why he was so highly rated coming out of high school.

McDaniel moving to safety locks down one of those positions with a future NFL player. Maxwell, Chambers, Adams, Lewis and Hall should provide plenty of depth and a quality starter to go along with McDaniel. Also look for Meeks to push for playing time. He is built like a truck as you can see from our pictures from last week.

So from a talent standpoint things look very good for 2009.

The schedule also sets up nicely for the Tigers this year. FSU at home helps. If the Tigers can win two ACC road games then 10 wins is certainly doable.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Charter Member - Clemson Insider

Now I'm pumped. Robert, that wasn't a post, that was a article. Sounds like you know a little something bout this team
Old 03-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Clemson Insider

Great analysis Robert. Man that makes me happy!!!