Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2018, 07:52 AM
TCI Staff

Default Monday Morning Quarterback

Clemson has a quarterback controversy
Old 04-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default Re: Monday Morning Quarterback

They certainly have. It needs to be a battle between Lawrence and Johnson.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:05 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
I agree!
Old 04-16-2018, 09:51 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Absolutely!

I sincerely appreciate all that KB has done, and I wish him nothing but the best. TL and HJ both are more talented AND seem to have a good grasp on the offense (albeit a limited sample size).

With our defense and schedule this year, now is the time to let either or both get the opportunity.

Regardless of who or when Dabo anoints the QB1 and QB2, there IS a QB controversy. 😊
Old 04-16-2018, 10:25 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan4jc View Post
Absolutely!

I sincerely appreciate all that KB has done, and I wish him nothing but the best. TL and HJ both are more talented AND seem to have a good grasp on the offense (albeit a limited sample size).

With our defense and schedule this year, now is the time to let either or both get the opportunity.

Regardless of who or when Dabo anoints the QB1 and QB2, there IS a QB controversy. 😊
Yes there is. No doubt! I want to see if Dabo learned anything from the Stoudt-Watson experience in 2014. Looking back, we know that decision cost Clemson two wins and a possible ACC Championship in the process.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:28 AM
Way2tall

Agreed. If we didn't have a QB controversy, I would be very disappointed. TL and HJ just bring the offensive weapons we have alive in a way that KB isn't able to. I love KB and hope he continues to grow and maybe find another outlet for his awesome skill and talent but we really need to have one of the other guys driving the ship. I'm glad that the coaches are honestly admitting that.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:30 AM
NFL Tiger

I love KB2’s attitude and what he has meant to this team. He’s obviously a great teammate and a great example for Clemson. But, he may have been the 4th best QB on the field on Saturday. I think he would’ve been more productive if he could’ve run. And there was a nice throw he made where Dabo called him down because Wilkins touched him on the back with one hand (we all know you can’t bring him down with one hand). But, at this point, it is what it is and we have better options at QB this year.

IMO, Lawrence looked the most ready to go win some games. He looked guys off, held his ground in the pocket, stepped up and made some huge throws and even made some plays with his feet. One time he took off, he looked like DW4, gliding towards the sideline and picking up the first down… the entire time, keeping his eyes down the field and arm cocked ready to throw. I honestly think he’s faster than DW4 and is our best hope of winning it all this year.

Johnson was certainly no slouch, either. He looked poised and probably has what it takes to get us to the playoff, but IMO, he’s just not quite on Lawrence’s level. And, Brice slung it around the field with ease… maybe slung it too much, with his 3 picks, one of those that nice 80-yd pick-six return. That dude is a gunslinger, a la Brett Favre, and could go win some football games for us too if needed.

This is certainly a good problem to have. Go Tigers!
Old 04-16-2018, 10:32 AM
Ring of Honor

There really shouldn't be much of a controversy....we can all talk about it being a spring game or whatever, but all 4 QB's played under the same set of circumstances, and KB was miles away from the other guys.

You could factor in his running ability, but those guys tend to get hurt. Give me a guy that can make the throws. Our receivers deserve someone that can get them the ball and I'm not talking about 80% of our passes being thrown near the LOS.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:12 PM
Travel Team

We NEED to maximize the threat that Higgins, Rogers, Renfrow and company provide, and as a result, open up opportunities for ETN and Feaster.

Johnson or Lawrence maximize those threats, IMO.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:55 PM
Travel Team

HJ and TL are not as far behind KB as runners, as he is behind them as a passer. Not even close.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:54 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Monday Morning Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walhalla2Atlanta View Post
I love KB2’s attitude and what he has meant to this team. He’s obviously a great teammate and a great example for Clemson. But, he may have been the 4th best QB on the field on Saturday. I think he would’ve been more productive if he could’ve run. And there was a nice throw he made where Dabo called him down because Wilkins touched him on the back with one hand (we all know you can’t bring him down with one hand). But, at this point, it is what it is and we have better options at QB this year.

IMO, Lawrence looked the most ready to go win some games. He looked guys off, held his ground in the pocket, stepped up and made some huge throws and even made some plays with his feet. One time he took off, he looked like DW4, gliding towards the sideline and picking up the first down… the entire time, keeping his eyes down the field and arm cocked ready to throw. I honestly think he’s faster than DW4 and is our best hope of winning it all this year.

Johnson was certainly no slouch, either. He looked poised and probably has what it takes to get us to the playoff, but IMO, he’s just not quite on Lawrence’s level. And, Brice slung it around the field with ease… maybe slung it too much, with his 3 picks, one of those that nice 80-yd pick-six return. That dude is a gunslinger, a lFavre, and could go win some football games for us too if needed.

This is certainly a good problem to have. Go Tigers!
+1. Saved me some typing
Old 04-17-2018, 01:51 AM
NFL Tiger

The battle is between Hunter and Trevor to lead this team to the championship.

Love Kelly B but he does not have the tools.
Brice reminds me of TB. He needs more development.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:45 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds View Post
The battle is between Hunter and Trevor to lead this team to the championship.

Love Kelly B but he does not have the tools.
Brice reminds me of TB. He needs more development.
I like the Boyd comparison with Brice. I did not think of it that way.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:26 AM
Walk On

Clearly a controversy exists. I believe it will be sorted out by the way it is handled by Dabo. Most assuredly, all four of these qb’s will not be here come fall. Let’s take a look at who will stay and who may go.

Trevor Lawrence - Stays - A freshman who appears to be in contention for considerable playing time. Highly unlikely to leave given that he expects an opportunity to prove himself as “the guy”. What we don’t know is: how much of the playbook he knows, is he making the right reads, has he been consistent in practice? These are things only he and the others in the QB room know.

Kelly Bryant - Probably Stays - Returning starter, 1 year left and seems confident that he can improve to become a competent passer. I think this decision will be determined by how he responds to the likely news that he will not be the starter. (My guess is that this conversation isn’t had until after the season starts so KB is probably a lock to stay) However, I think losing his job to one QB could have dramatic ramifications....and perhaps KB is asked to change positions and perhaps he would embrace that.

Hunter Johnson (50/50) - HJ has to be frustrated that he lost a year of eligibility in clean up minutes, didn’t have an opportunity to compete in the Syracuse game and presumably knows that he is somebody’s #1, if not Dabo’s. If He is not assured that he is at least splitting time, I think he’s gone.

Chase Brice - Probably Leaves - Guessing that CB feels that he is in the top 3, as he should. Top three doesn’t exactly earn you minutes. From his style of play, the kid is a competitor who wants to see action and make things happen. Anybody think Brett Favre would have been a satisfied as a backup? (I’m not saying CB is Favre, only that he has that same spirit)

So what are the real options?
Name KB the starter and depth is: 1) KB 2) TL
Name HJ and TL co-qb’s 1)HJ 1) TL 3) KB or HJ wants to be #1 and 1)TL 2)KB
Name HJ starter 1) HJ 2) TL 3) KB or 1) HJ 2) KB 3) TL (redshirt)
Name TL starter and it may be 1) TL 2)CB if the scenario as a sole #2 is enough to keep CB around.

Do we all see how fast this thing can turn? It was so fun getting all of these guys to commit but managing it be difficult. I see several scenarios where only 2 QB’s remain and if action isn’t taken soon enough, there’s a remote possibility that it could be just 1 of these guys here in the fall. At some point maybe we need to look at recruiting a Jason Garrett to go with Troy Aikman.

Last edited by BTB30; 04-17-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:31 AM
Tiger Starter

It's amazing what one bad performance in a scrimmage can do to a guy.. I mean, I don't disagree with you all--he was terrible.. But man.. All of this talk just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.. There are 100 something other teams that would give anything to have a Kelly Bryant take them to a conference championship and absolutely dominate a good Miami team... I know everyone just wants to put the best player possible behind center (and believe me so do I) but all of this talk just makes me sad for Kelly.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:42 AM
Walk On

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCheese View Post
It's amazing what one bad performance in a scrimmage can do to a guy.. I mean, I don't disagree with you all--he was terrible.. But man.. All of this talk just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.. There are 100 something other teams that would give anything to have a Kelly Bryant take them to a conference championship and absolutely dominate a good Miami team... I know everyone just wants to put the best player possible behind center (and believe me so do I) but all of this talk just makes me sad for Kelly.
I agree! The reality though is that he has been recruited over. Great player and a better teammate but can’t play a QB that ranks in the bottom 25% in passing beyond 20 yards when you have these other 3.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
I agree. Hard to see anyone overtaken. Unfortunately that is a huge part of life and why we feel bad for him.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:52 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
It's not just the Spring game; remember Alabama. The long passing problems existed throughout the season. KB had OK statistics which were skewed by short passes and yards after the catch, but passes over 20 yds in the air were lacking. All AL had to do was stop the run, which they did.

Fans were looking for improvement in the Spring game which was not there, thus the big disappointment on KB's performance.