Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2019, 05:57 PM
Travel Team

Default Basketball team

Quick poll:
A. Time to make a change (Who do you want?)
B. Dance or bust next year
C. We’re a football school, who cares
D. Happy with Brownell
Old 03-13-2019, 06:12 PM
Travel Team

Default Re: Basketball team

A.

Steve Alford. He is available now...

I know he was let go at UCLA but that place is unrealistic for their program. Had a lot of injuries when he was let go. Sweet Sixteen and Elite 8. Also had good programs at New Mexico and Iowa.
DRad can talk to his agent now. Good ADs will talk to coaches' agents even with a coach in place. Be proactive
Old 03-13-2019, 07:03 PM
Tiger Starter

B by default but there will be no Dancing next year.

The Bowden roller coaster brought us the terrible “ing” term. Brownell’s teams are approaching that kind of territory.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:16 PM
Scholarship Player

A. Murray State coach Matt McMahon or Furman coach Bob Richey

Both have ties to the southeast and hopefully the lure of coaching in the ACC with our new facilities would be a draw.

Last edited by BloodTiger; 03-13-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:29 PM
Travel Team

I’ve always wished for Shaka Smart to come here. Some of the shine came off him this year though. Maybe Wofford coach?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:23 PM
Ring of Honor

I posted this on another thread, but since this thread is similiar, I'll post it again.

Wenever the discussion of getting a new B-ball coach occurs, there are always a few posters who say "who are you going to get?" Here are a few names that I'd take a look at....

Former Head Coaches:
Steve Alford
Thad Mata

Current Power 5 Head Coaches:
Shaka Smart
Buzz Williams- I'd at least reach out.

Mid majors:
Jeff Boals
Mike Young
Eric Mussleman
Nate Oats

Current Assistants.
Micah Shrewsbury
Tommy Lloyd
Jon Scheyer

Last edited by Cutigergrad04; 03-13-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:23 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
B by default but there will be no Dancing next year.

The Bowden roller coaster brought us the terrible “ing” term. Brownell’s teams are approaching that kind of territory.

I would have to agree with this. I don't think we should fire a coach one year removed from the Sweet 16 and a bubble team this year. I'd even go so far as to say that with next year being a true rebuild year, as long as we are in the bubble conversation next year he will make it to still be coaching in 2020/21. So, 2020/21 would be the next "Dance or go home" scenario barring a fall next year of less than 15 wins (which is certainly possible).

I was in favor of letting him go 2 years ago, but the recent tournament run earned a short stay of execution in my eyes. At this point in his tenure, I believe that Clemson should be tournament participants at least every 3 years though, and always have an above .500 record.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Travel Team

After posting this, I got to think how Brownell stacks up with the coaches I remember so that starts around the Cliff Ellis era.

Ellis was 177-128 (.580 pct) overall, 44-74 (.384) in ACC, 5 NIT trips, 3 NCAA runs with a sweet 16. Uconn kept us from the Elite 8

Barnes 74-48 (.607), 28-36 (.438), 1 NIT, 3 NCAAs sweet 16

Shyatt 70-84 (.455), 20-60 (.250), 1 NIT

Purnell 138-90 (.605), 50-62 (.446), 3 NITs, 3 NCAAs

Brownell 168-126 (.571), 76-82 (.481), 2 NITs, 2 NCAAs sweet 16
Old 03-14-2019, 10:40 AM
Travel Team

As has been said before, Brownell is much like Tommy Bowden, on the brink of being a really good coach but at what point do you decide that he's never going to get over that hump and actually go above being at or just slightly above average? Another 1-2 wins a year would put that win percentage up over 60% and I don't think many people would be complaining! Plus the NCAA tournament would be a certainty this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1180 View Post
After posting this, I got to think how Brownell stacks up with the coaches I remember so that starts around the Cliff Ellis era.

Ellis was 177-128 (.580 pct) overall, 44-74 (.384) in ACC, 5 NIT trips, 3 NCAA runs with a sweet 16. Uconn kept us from the Elite 8

Old 03-14-2019, 12:54 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1180 View Post

It's also important to point out the following:

We had to vacate our Sweet 16 wins under Ellis due to NCAA sanctions. So those don't count.

Barnes did well here, but other than finding two diamonds in the rough in Buckner and McIntyre, didn't recruit well. He knew this and left (and was very rude and insulting to Clemson and the state of South Carolina in the process).

Shyatt was in over his head. Not a good hire.

Purnell did a great turnaround, but like Barnes, didn't recruit well overall. Some recruiting busts from his top 15 class as well as not much in the pipeline is the main reason he left. He did so in the middle of the night, not even telling his players in person.

I'm all for looking at what previous coaches have done well, but to me, we must look at the good and the bad. Brad hasn't won as much as we would like, but I can't remember any time in our basketball history when we have been as competitive as we have under him. Our teams play hard, never quit, and represent Clemson incredibly well on and off the court. He graduates his players at the highest rate in program history, and has had the highest team GPA in program history. As far as we know, he does things the right way and don't have to worry about Clemson or Coach Brownell showing up in news reports about cheating and paying players.

I'm not saying that we should keep a coach who isn't winning enough, but the other factors are a huge plus in Brownell's favor. I truly believe that he will be successful at Clemson now that he finally has some semblance of support from the administration in terms of facilities and support staff. Although he still doesn't have enough support, it's better than it was.

Regardless of whether Clemson decides to stay with him or go in a different direction, we must make some fundamental changes in how we support basketball. If we don't, we are likely to end up with someone who fails, cheats, bails on us, or a combination of all three.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:22 PM
Two Deep

What is interesting to me is that Brad has the second worst winning percentage overall but the best conference winning percentage!

Dang, if he could win some of those early season games we’d be looking at the NCAAs differently I believe.

And figure out how to win more of those one possesion losses, hells bells, we are dancing!
Old 03-14-2019, 03:56 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsckoa View Post
What is interesting to me is that Brad has the second worst winning percentage overall but the best conference winning percentage!

Dang, if he could win some of those early season games we’d be looking at the NCAAs differently I believe.

And figure out how to win more of those one possesion losses, hells bells, we are dancing!
Admittedly I'm not the biggest CBB fan, but one area that I've always given him credit is that his teams are always better in Feb then they are in December. That said, your point about winning your OOC games rings true. It gives you a margin for error and let's be honest, it's not as if we have been going up against ranked non conference opposition each year. Take this year, there was no reason we should've lost to Creighton, Nebraska or Miss State with a senior laden team. Wins those and we would be dancing.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:35 PM
Tiger Starter

Those are all valid points JK, but he just hasn't done enough in the wins column for me to want to see his tenure continue at the current rate. Make no mistake, I'd love to be proven wrong but after 9 years I'm willing to put a timetable on it. The answer is B for me. Next year tourney or thank-you for your service and we gotta try something else.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:09 PM
Two Deep

D. Happy with Brownell. He is happy to be at Clemson despite the crappy fan support and the team regularly makes the post season. With the new facilities the NCAA tourney will be likely every two or three years now (and given the level of support, this is as good as we can expect). He doesn't cheat.

My hope is that taking his lumps from the ACC refs now will amount to more respect for Clemson in the future. Clemson hasn't kept a coach long enough (that didn't cheat) in the ACC for us to see that come to fruition.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:05 PM
Travel Team

D. I like Brad. He has piqued the interest of some big time prospects, but life on the recruiting trail is tough when you’re recruiting at a school that is light on basketball tradition and runs a clean program. I think he epitomizes Clemson Grit and I’d hate to see him go.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:11 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFaninArkansas View Post
D. Happy with Brownell. He is happy to be at Clemson despite the crappy fan support and the team regularly makes the post season. With the new facilities the NCAA tourney will be likely every two or three years now (and given the level of support, this is as good as we can expect). He doesn't cheat.

My hope is that taking his lumps from the ACC refs now will amount to more respect for Clemson in the future. Clemson hasn't kept a coach long enough (that didn't cheat) in the ACC for us to see that come to fruition.
There are things that are positive about Brownell. His love of Clemson is obvious. His desire to run a clean program is commendable. Heck, I even appreciate his basic offensive scheme but it requires players to hit the open shot and with our low percentage of outside shooting it is like forcing a square peg in a round hole. But his lack of emotion toward the officials comes across as a bend over and take it kind of mentality. Like or not, Coach K and Williams let the officials have it when they don't think they are getting a fair call. And by doing so it fires up the crowd which fires up the players which on some nights even intimidates the officials. We are probably a better team now than when Rick Barnes was here. But when he went after Dean Smith, it ignited our fanbase because we were fed up with the Tobacco Road BS. Well, we are still fed up with it. We need someone to speak up for us and our players. And after 10 years, that is just not who Brad Brownell is.

I want a coach that is excitable, who won't back down when he feels like he isn't being given a fair shake. You want to see a packed house, get someone that isn't afraid to let a ref know who Clemson is.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:46 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggershark View Post
There are things that are positive about Brownell. His love of Clemson is obvious. His desire to run a clean program is commendable. Heck, I even appreciate his basic offensive scheme but it requires players to hit the open shot and with our low percentage of outside shooting it is like forcing a square peg in a round hole. But his lack of emotion toward the officials comes across as a bend over and take it kind of mentality. Like or not, Coach K and Williams let the officials have it when they don't think they are getting a fair call. And by doing so it fires up the crowd which fires up the players which on some nights even intimidates the officials. We are probably a better team now than when Rick Barnes was here. But when he went after Dean Smith, it ignited our fanbase because we were fed up with the Tobacco Road BS. Well, we are still fed up with it. We need someone to speak up for us and our players. And after 10 years, that is just not who Brad Brownell is.

I want a coach that is excitable, who won't back down when he feels like he isn't being given a fair shake. You want to see a packed house, get someone that isn't afraid to let a ref know who Clemson is.
I don’t understand why people keep acting like Brad doesn’t talk to the officials or stand up for his team. He is regularly talking to the refs, and frequently expresses his displeasure with bad calls. Just because he doesn’t get technicals regularly or throw chairs doesn’t mean that he “just takes it.” I’m not sure what some of you expect, but if he had gotten a technical for cursing the refs out yesterday we would’ve given NC State free points and lost by more.

Then people would’ve complained that Brad’s technical cost us the game.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:08 PM
Tiger Starter

Stop getting worked up about Brownell and the Refs. What I want is for him to coach what he can influence. When your team is 5 minutes into taking bad shots and turning the ball over, make that timeout mean something. Find a way to reach your players and get the offense back on track instead of 8 more minutes of the same bad play.

Ironically it was two years ago today the following happened:
“Clemson blew a 20-point second-half lead, and Oakland outscored the Tigers 45-20 over the final 17:36 as the seventh-seeded Grizzlies defeated Clemson 74-69 in the first round of the National Invitation Tournament in Littlejohn Coliseum Tuesday night.”

Yesterday was just the latest example of the inability to get his team pulled out of a nose dive. I don’t have any answers, just an ever growing level of frustration.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:53 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Keller View Post
I don’t understand why people keep acting like Brad doesn’t talk to the officials or stand up for his team. He is regularly talking to the refs, and frequently expresses his displeasure with bad calls. Just because he doesn’t get technicals regularly or throw chairs doesn’t mean that he “just takes it.” I’m not sure what some of you expect, but if he had gotten a technical for cursing the refs out yesterday we would’ve given NC State free points and lost by more.

Then people would’ve complained that Brad’s technical cost us the game.
The beauty of hindsight is that we will never know what could have happened if he had chewed out an official during that 10+ minute stretch when it seemed ncsu could do what ever they wanted without getting called for a foul.

But what I did see is him mumble his complaint as he left the conference and for that I lost a lot of respect for him. You man up and say what you have to say or keep it to yourself.

A change is needed. The program needs to be energized. 10 years is enough time. I think he would be leaving the program better than when he came here, and for that I thank him.