Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2019, 01:12 PM
TCI Staff

Default Tigers blow it

article
Old 03-13-2019, 01:20 PM
Scholarship Player

Default Re: Tigers blow it

A lot of our fans are going to whine about this call or that call, but when you choke away that kind of lead, you don't deserve to win. And when it's a battle of bubble teams, you don't deserve a spot in the big dance with that kind of performance in the clutch.

A disappointing end to a disappointing season. And looking ahead, we'll lose four of our top five scorers and still have Brad Brownell as HC next season.

It's the Foster/Ellis era all over again.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:23 PM
Scholarship Player

Brutal.

No other words for it. We gagged.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:35 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchrisgrimm View Post
A lot of our fans are going to whine about this call or that call, but when you choke away that kind of lead, you don't deserve to win. And when it's a battle of bubble teams, you don't deserve a spot in the big dance with that kind of performance in the clutch.

A disappointing end to a disappointing season. And looking ahead, we'll lose four of our top five scorers and still have Brad Brownell as HC next season.

It's the Foster/Ellis era all over again.

The calls at the end were horrendous, but they missed that goaltend on Thomas as well. You just can't win ball games scoring 42 in one half then turning around to score 16 in the second half. That was pathetic. They needed to do just what the announcer said - get the ball inside! Either pass it inside or give it to Reed and let him drive. Maybe he picks up the foul. Reed shooting foul shots is a lot better gameplan than just dribbling up and jacking it from behind the arc.

We won't win the ACC with Brownell and may never sniff the sweet 16 again. He coaches and builds his teams like he's at a mid-major school. Wake-up, Brad! You're in the frickin ACC! He's gotta find a way to lure some of those top-50 guys to our school. Hell, take Dabo with you on recruiting trips for those guys. He could land 5-star kids in a "Basketball conference" with no championships to speak of!

UGH - our Bball program drives me crazy. I really want to watch and cheer and get excited for it... I really do. But games like this and seasons like this take the fun out of it. Oh well... when's the Spring game again?
Old 03-13-2019, 01:40 PM
Travel Team

Do not deserve to go to NCAA s. That was such a bad choke job I know our guys are having a difficult time breathing. 16 pathetic points in the second half - that's embarrassing! Just take up the uniforms and put them and us out of our misery. Deflate the basketballs and stick a fork in them - they're done!
Old 03-13-2019, 01:50 PM
NFL Tiger

While I agree that our shooting and shot selection in the 2nd half were awful, any of you that played sports can attest to the fact that once bad call after bad call goes against you, you start to get frustrated and press. No way they should've blown an 18 pt lead, but they had plenty of officiating help to make it happen. If you don't think the poor officiating contributed to the poor play you are sadly mistaken.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:52 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walhalla2Atlanta View Post

We won't win the ACC with Brownell and may never sniff the sweet 16 again. He coaches and builds his teams like he's at a mid-major school. Wake-up, Brad! You're in the frickin ACC! He's gotta find a way to lure some of those top-50 guys to our school. Hell, take Dabo with you on recruiting trips for those guys. He could land 5-star kids in a "Basketball conference" with no championships to speak of!
Well, we have never won the ACC. So holding Brownell to something that has never been done is a bit much.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:58 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Tigers blow it

Really disappointed.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:07 PM
Travel Team

Brownell wrote the manual on how to coach a big lead down the tubes. Dan Rad, please get rid of this guy.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:11 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggershark View Post
Well, we have never won the ACC. So holding Brownell to something that has never been done is a bit much.
We should at least be sniffing it, in the hunt, etc. And we're not. And we won't be anytime soon. Why can't that be the goal? Why can't we hope we have the coach that can get us there? The reason you fire a coach and hire a new one is so that the new one can take you to new levels, climb new mountains, win things never won before. So, I don't think "holding Brownell" to living up to that standard is "a bit much."

Best is the standard. In everything Clemson. Don't ask "why," ask "why not."
Old 03-13-2019, 02:20 PM
Scholarship Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walhalla2Atlanta View Post

Best is the standard. In everything Clemson. Don't ask "why," ask "why not."
100% this.

Iíve been as supportive of Brad Brownell throughout his term but the 9 year experiment is done. He was not a bad coach but he is clearly not the guy that will ever get us past middle of the pack. I hate to use the Tommy Bowden example but...

I saw a stat the other day that said we are 1-13 in conference games decided by 3 pts or less the last three years. Folks, thatís not just all bad luck. Eventually it falls on late game coaching decisions and putting your guys in the best position to execute.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:28 PM
Walk On

Kenpom Ratings since Brownell took over in 2010...only once has Clemson finished higher than 2010-2011 teams which was last year aka "the year" or was that this year? Clemson has averaged #51 over Brownell's career. He may "Ricky Barnes" his way through the rest of his career but it's time to move on. No way 50 teams have better resources annually than Clemson to put a quality basketball team on the floor. It's just hard to watch now.

2019-#28
2018-#14
2017-#45
2016-#45
2015-#84
2014-#51
2013-#112
2012-#82
2011-#25
2010-#25
Old 03-13-2019, 02:29 PM
Tiger Starter

Help me out. When Clemson was 0-14 at one stretch in the second half, how many shots did BB miss?

At the end of the day, the players didn't make shots.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:33 PM
Walk On

Clemson lost 6 games by 3 points or less this year. C'mon man.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:40 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawStudent View Post
Help me out. When Clemson was 0-14 at one stretch in the second half, how many shots did BB miss?

You might have a point if it weren't for the fact that we've seen this same scenario unfold over and over and over in the Brownell era with different players.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:40 PM
Scholarship Player

Quote:

Who recruited those players?
Old 03-13-2019, 02:44 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:

When your guys aren't making shots, call a timeout and tell them to drive it, try to get a foul called, let's full-court press to try to force a turnover and get a lay-up. I never coached kids older than 13, but when your team isn't making shots, that's what you do.

I took a 7th-grade team and beat the best/most talented team in our conference because I changed to full-court, man-to-man defense in the 2nd half. We made it hard to get the ball in, hard for them to advance it up the court and forced a ton of turnovers in the second half and then we got easy shots. I didn't let them shoot it outside 12 feet, except for one kid, but only if he was wide open. I was determined we were going to drive, we were going to be disruptive, and we were. AND... I was the assistant coach, filling in for the head coach and we had NEVER worked on full-court pressure. We went from being down by like 10 or 12 points in the first half to coming back to win that game. We were the only team that day (from 6th grade thru varsity) that beat that school that day!

Let me coach that last 5 minutes. I bet we at least go down swinging and not jacking 3s! It's not rocket science, it's common knowledge if you know anything about the game.

Yeah, guys go cold and miss shots. Then coach them out of it.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:09 PM
Tiger Starter

Setting the refís bias aside, how do you play well enough to score 42 pts then only 16 in the second half? Yes, NCSt made half time adjustments, but what did the Clemson coaches and players do to respond? I didnít see the game so Iím left bewildered.

This story of two different teams showing up during a game is far from new. Very frustrating!
Old 03-13-2019, 03:38 PM
Scholarship Player

When is Brownell going to learn to fight for his team? Even in a press conference he is so concerned to break a rule? So what if he gets fined, he could gain a lot of respect in the eyes of the players and the fans by reacting to some of these calls and maybe even get a.......technical foul!
Old 03-13-2019, 03:53 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOrange67 View Post
While I agree that our shooting and shot selection in the 2nd half were awful, any of you that played sports can attest to the fact that once bad call after bad call goes against you, you start to get frustrated and press. No way they should've blown an 18 pt lead, but they had plenty of officiating help to make it happen. If you don't think the poor officiating contributed to the poor play you are sadly mistaken.
Maybe when you have a lot of youth and inexperience, but from a senior laden team I expect more than just tanking bc you have some bad calls go against you.
I know I have said this before many times, but somehow we keep outdoing ourselves in the metric of "this is the epitome of Brownell basketball". Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. At some point some of you diehard supporters have to ask yourselves is this really working? Is this senior laden team full of guys Brownell recruited and coached for 4 years the best we can expect from him?